British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Living in gran canaria (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/living-gran-canaria-864135/)

Jessie_p Aug 26th 2015 9:35 pm

Living in gran canaria

I own my own home in England which I rent out for £650 pounds a month which is approximately € 875 euro, would that be enough income to live on in Gran Canaria.
Am thinking of moving there in 2016 gathering as much info as I can , any websites or tips, gratefully excepted.

Rosemary Aug 26th 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Living in gran canaria

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Jessie_p Aug 27th 2015 10:16 am

Thankyou Rosemary

Rosemary Aug 27th 2015 10:23 am

Personally I do not think that this would be sufficient to live on if you have to pay for your accommodation and services as well as normal living expenses. I do not know the costs of living on an island but normally things are more expensive than they are on the mainland. Not sure whether we have any members with experience of living on Gran Canaria but hopefully someone will know more details than I do.

Rosemary

Moses2013 Aug 27th 2015 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Jessie_p (Post 11733757)
I own my own home in England which I rent out for £650 pounds a month which is approximately € 875 euro, would that be enough income to live on in Gran Canaria.
Am thinking of moving there in 2016 gathering as much info as I can , any websites or tips, gratefully excepted.

Again that would depend what kind of life you want and how much other savings you have. Could you manage on £650 in the UK? A cheap apartment will cost €350 a month, electricity/water extra. You will need health insurance and enough money for food. What if some repairs are needed in the UK etc.? Some people are happy to eat rice all day, but wouldn't be for me.

Boseley Aug 27th 2015 11:57 am

We reside in the Canary Islands, El Hierro. The equivalent to V.A.T. here is just 7%, this ensures that the cost of living here is far cheaper than the European part of Spain or the U.K. for that matter, for example petrol diesel, is under 1 €uro a litre.

Here because of the climate we do not need air-conditioning or heating, opening the windows in summer and sometimes wearing a pullover in winter suffices, hence no heating or cooling bills.

We have two properties here and our monthly expenditure is under 1000€. This does not include nights out and holidays, because we are the owners of the properties we do not have rental bills.

Internal travel, within Spanish territories, is discounted up to 70% for Canary Island residents.

Apartments furnished in the none tourist areas are often 300 to 350 €uros, this includes all charges electricity water and council taxes.

iano Aug 27th 2015 12:10 pm

Be aware, not so many years ago £650 would only have realised around 663 €, and that's without the transaction costs.

As the exchange rate fluctuates, you'd be advised to have a reasonable amount of savings behind you, or other revenue coming in, before even considering the move.

Moses2013 Aug 27th 2015 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boseley (Post 11734179)
We reside in the Canary Islands, El Hierro. The equivalent to V.A.T. here is just 7%, this ensures that the cost of living here is far cheaper than the European part of Spain or the U.K. for that matter, for example petrol diesel, is under 1 €uro a litre.

Here because of the climate we do not need air-conditioning or heating, opening the windows in summer and sometimes wearing a pullover in winter suffices, hence no heating or cooling bills.

We have two properties here and our monthly expenditure is under 1000€. This does not include nights out and holidays, because we are the owners of the properties we do not have rental bills.

Internal travel, within Spanish territories, is discounted up to 70% for Canary Island residents.

Apartments furnished in the none tourist areas are often 300 to 350 €uros, this includes all charges electricity water and council taxes.

I doubt that the cost of living is much cheaper than mainland (depending on area). Petrol is certainly cheaper incl. cigarettes, but with the OP's budget you couldn't really afford a car anyway. It's only cheaper because you have less opportunities to spend money, especially El Hierro. Again it depends how you spend your money.

Jessie_p Aug 27th 2015 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11734208)
I doubt that the cost of living is much cheaper than mainland (depending on area). Petrol is certainly cheaper incl. cigarettes, but with the OP's budget you couldn't really afford a car anyway. It's only cheaper because you have less opportunities to spend money, especially El Hierro. Again it depends how you spend your money.

Thanks for answering, I felt I should start looking into this, didnt really want to sell house in uk and jump straight in, wouldn't want a car I hate driving, and also not a smoker or much of a drinker.
Need to start saving I think.

Elle1971 Aug 30th 2015 4:57 pm

I must admit I grimaced for you when I read your budget. I think you would seriously struggle to live on that amount in the Canaries.

We lived on a frugal average of €1000 per month (excluding meals/drinks out) in Lanzarote during the six years we were there. We now live in one of the cheapest parts of Spain (Almeria) and would still struggle... and that's just for a couple.

I've always said it's better to be skint in the sunshine than in the rain... but if you can't afford to get out and explore or have the occasional treat then it takes the shine off.

Good luck with your decision... but do think very carefully.

E xx

Jessie_p Aug 31st 2015 6:48 am

Re: Living in gran canaria , really apreciate the info,

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11734103)
Again that would depend what kind of life you want and how much other savings you have. Could you manage on £650 in the UK? A cheap apartment will cost €350 a month, electricity/water extra. You will need health insurance and enough money for food. What if some repairs are needed in the UK etc.? Some people are happy to eat rice all day, but wouldn't be for me.

Which health insurance would you recommend.

Jessie_p Aug 31st 2015 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Boseley (Post 11734179)

Big thanks

Alexis1962 Dec 31st 2015 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Elle1971 (Post 11736493)
I must admit I grimaced for you when I read your budget. I think you would seriously struggle to live on that amount in the Canaries.

We lived on a frugal average of €1000 per month (excluding meals/drinks out) in Lanzarote during the six years we were there. We now live in one of the cheapest parts of Spain (Almeria) and would still struggle... and that's just for a couple.

I've always said it's better to be skint in the sunshine than in the rain... but if you can't afford to get out and explore or have the occasional treat then it takes the shine off.

Good luck with your decision... but do think very carefully.

E xx

Hi Elle
I have just read this message and thought it would be good to write to you. I have just joined this Forum due to trying to find out as much as we can as we really want to relocate to Spain for early retirement and more so the climate that helps with Arthritis. We are both 54 and live in the UK and recently visited the City of Almeria earlier this month. We thought it was very beautiful but was there to visit other places to try and find the right place to eventually move to. For a few days now I have been asking questions and now think we will keep our home in the UK, rent it out and then Rent in Spain for perhaps some months to really get the feel for the country.
There is so much to think about and trying to do the best for what position we are in. We still have a mortgage but have good equity in our home at the moment but are trying to find out what would be best for us.
Elle hope that you don't mind me asking some questions about Almeria. How do you like it? is there anything that you can advise me on that particular area. I know properties are cheaper and you get good value for money.
Healthcare was another issue but think by keeping our home in uk and not actually making the full move straightaway helps with that issue.
If you can give me advice I would much appreciate it.

my name is Alexis

Elle1971 Jan 1st 2016 10:20 am

Hi Alexis. I'm very happy to answer your questions. We've been here three years now and are very happy. There are pros and cons of course. What some people may find a pro is a con in other people's eyes so I can ony speak from my own standpoint.

PROS: Yes it is cheaper, has the choice of two airports within 90 minutes and you can be in the mountains or the beach very quickly. There are stunning villages everywhere and things can be very Spanish... but if you want something a bit more English speaking, then that's available too. Rent is very cheap - we're paying less than a quarter of what we would for something equivalent in the UK. Eating out is really cheap too and you can get a three course meal with a drink during the day for anything between €7 and €15 (quality varies). A glass of wine or beer is usually €1 (inland) to €2 (resorts). Sometimes it comes with free tapas too, although that's more common in Granada. We live in the hills and it is stunningly beautiful. It's very peaceful with only dogs barking, chickens clucking, donkeys braying, horses whinneying and church bells ringing. Heaven! It's actually noisier than the city we lived in back in the UK but it's a different kind of noise - more chilled. Most areas will have internet available. Unless you go really rural you'll be okay with that. It's not the speeds of the UK but I find it's fine for what I need - and I build websites and run some really busy ones too. The big benefit for me is that it is real Spain inland. My English speaking is restricted to online and once a quarter or so when I meet up with Brit pals in the nearest town. You are forced to learn the lingo, and that's good if you want to get the most out of your time here.

CONS: You don't have the great year-round weather of the Canaries... and people don't realise that it can get very cold in the winter if you are up in the hills. This year has been very mild, but it's not unusual for it to drop to zero or below at night. Because we don't have curtains and carpets then the old properties can be very chilly. You'd need to account for extra costs in terms of heating then. Gas bottles very reasonable though, and wood for logburners gets cheaper if you buy in bulk. We find electricity expensive so we haven't gone down that route for heating. I understand that it is milder of you live on the coast. Conversely it can be very hot in the summer - we regularly reached low to mid 40s last summer. I loved it but it's not for everyone. There is not a lot of public transport outside of the larger towns in Almeria, and if going rural you will definitely need a car. I have to reply on my husband to drive me places and it's a bind. I miss the decent dining we had on our doorstep in Lanzarote and the UK, and the choice too. It's pretty restrictive here and the local places seem to cater to an older palate for the Brits whereas I like my food to be a bit more exciting than pie and chips or stew. The closer you are to the coast though, the more choice that is available.

It is good that you are keeping your home in the UK. Of course you may love it here and decide to sell up... but keep that safety net until you are sure. There are many people around here who would love to return to the UK (various reasons: health, grandkids etc) but are stuck because they can't sell their property for the price they paid. With regard to your healthcare - I never advise because everyone's situation is different. You can pay into the system though, or organise private cover. I would recommend getting some quotes for private and weighing that up. Personally I could save a fortune by going private but I pay into the system because I want a pension here one day and I work legally.

What you will find is that it is cheaper than the UK... and hey it's always good to have an adventure! What's the worst that can happen - you may hate it and head back... but if you keep your property then it's no biggie.

I hope that helps a little - but feel free to ask anything else (the more specific the better). If you're planning another sightseeing trip to Almería before making your decision - then feel free to get in touch. You're welcome to a cuppa or a glass of something cheeky. You can get me on PM on here and I'll give you my private contact details. Alternatively you can find me via the link in my signature down there.

Elle xx

Elle1971 Jan 1st 2016 10:28 am

Hubby has just told me I don't know what I'm talking about with the airports because Almería is 90 minutes from us but Alicante is more like 2 to 2.5 hours. That's what you get for listening to a non-driver. E xx