Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in a Golf Resort, Good or Bad Idea?

Living in a Golf Resort, Good or Bad Idea?

Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

NickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really nice
Default Re: Living in a Golf Resort, Good or Bad Idea?

Originally Posted by Saxy
I live at Bonalba Golf, just inland from El Campello, and it's fantastic. We are 10 minutes drive from just about everything, including the Hospital, and 25 minutes drive from Alicante Airport. The natives are very friendly and the beer's good.
You're in your 20s, no problem, dive in and enjoy the Spanish R&B scene, it's very vibrant! (I know,I'm part of it). There is 'Flat Green Bowling', Tennis, and Paddle Tennis.
Oh, by the way what's Golf?
Come and have a look!

John
Really? That is awesome, over the past few days I have been concentrating on the El Campello area. I don't think i have seen any rental properties available in Bonalba golf course. Any idea where I can find long term rentals there?

dorishaslop says it is a ghost town? Is this right?

What district is Bonalba in? I am checking out rentals on fotocasa.es and I selected Alicante Province > L'Alicante > (asking for district)

Last edited by NickFX; Feb 2nd 2012 at 1:04 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman
Spanish R&B I dont think I've ever heard a Spanish R&B song (thankfully)

Rap and hip hop is big around Sevilla, rock in Madrid and ska/reggae/2-tone along the Med Coast, but R&B never.
Oh dear, you don't know what you are missing! They are fantastic musicians, so clever that they can sing in English, and even make the backing sound just the same as American/English songs. As for being able to play guitar, most of them can make Hendrix and Clapton sound like beginners.
When they start to play 'The Blues', close your eyes and you would think that you were down in Mississippi, getting your whip out, just to show who's boss!
Next time you're in Madrid, go to see 'Malos Vecinos' (one of the bands I work with when I'm up there), they can sing American/English songs in Spanish. How's about that then!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sujee
Maybe he means rhythm & blues. Old fogies like me have never got a grasp on the modern meaning of R&B
No sujee, I mean genuine R&B! Believe me I certainly know the difference, and I'm still 25 in my outlook!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:43 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

For Info:

R&B

The article talks about a long history and immensely varied styles from the 1940's to the 1060's and beyond some of which I would class as Rock and Roll. It includes this:

By the 1970s, the term rhythm and blues was being used as a blanket term for soul, funk, and disco
Contemporary R&B

According to Billboard magazine, the most commercially successful R&B acts of the decade were Usher, Beyoncé Knowles, Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey and Rihanna.
So a huge difference of styles. Perhaps different posters are talking about different things?
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NickFX
Really? That is awesome, over the past few days I have been concentrating on the El Campello area. I don't think i have seen any rental properties available in Bonalba golf course. Any idea where I can find long term rentals there?

dorishaslop says it is a ghost town? Is this right?

What district is Bonalba in? I am checking out rentals on fotocasa.es and I selected Alicante Province > L'Alicante > (asking for district)
Bonalba - Google Earth, Longditude 38deg, 26', 33" North.
Latitude 0deg, 26', 22.10" West.
I certainly wouldn't call it a ghost town, but there are quite a few holiday homes. We live on a gated enclave within Bonalba and it is fantastic!
You have to put yourself about a bit to meet people, but that's the same wherever you go.
We love it, and have loads of friends here, Spanish, English and others!
Try sundrenchedvillas.com We used them once, he seems a nice guy.

Hope this helps!
John
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimenato
For Info:

R&B

The article talks about a long history and immensely varied styles from the 1940's to the 1060's and beyond some of which I would class as Rock and Roll. It includes this:

Contemporary R&B

So a huge difference of styles. Perhaps different posters are talking about different things?
You are of course absolutely right. I draw the line at just after the mid '60s.

John
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
Never knew you lived in Bonalba.... my OH stayed there while working for Inair, he says it was like a ghost town and was trying to put me off living there. He would like El Campello (so would I) so who knows, we may meet after all
That would be very nice, we could show you around. We love the area and know most of the ropes. If we don't know, we know someone who does!

John
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

lordhowe is an unknown quantity at this point

what is Quesada area like, that is a Golf resort, any views people?
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Quesada is a British expats area, busy & noisy. Yes there's a golf course in La Marquesa that I know, maybe others. I find Quesada is too hilly esp La Marquesa. Atalaya park is not too bad as it's closer to the town center & large supermarkets, etc are within walking distance.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 8:50 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lordhowe
what is Quesada area like, that is a Golf resort, any views people?
We like Quesada. There are spectacular houses for those with deeper pockets, a good mix of nationalities, very good facilities, shops, retaurants, cafes, sports facilities, aquapark, active clubs, free spanish classes, the streets / bins are cleaned and the street lights work!

What suits us may not suit you. Before you sign up for a long term rental, I would suggest you take a short rental.

Last edited by missile; Feb 3rd 2012 at 9:45 am.