British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Living in a Golf Resort, Good or Bad Idea? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/living-golf-resort-good-bad-idea-746814/)

NickFX Jan 30th 2012 6:43 pm

Living in a Golf Resort, Good or Bad Idea?

Hey Guys,

I have been scouring websites for rental properties in Spain and have come up with a lot of nice villas on golf resorts. From my understanding these are gated communities aimed at attracting westerners.

The idea of living in one of these resorts is somewhat tempting. I am not a fan of golf but the villas look stunning and conveniences such as supermarkets seem to always be nearby.

Before I head off to Spain to take a look I thought I would ask for some opinions...

Living in a golf resort, good or bad Idea?

strangemother Jan 30th 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Living in a Golf Resort, Good or Bad Idea?

I have never "got" the whole idea of the golf course community thing. I have spent a lot of time travelling back and forth to the USA and they have a lot of communities like this there too. Still don't understand the whole thing too much myself. I hate golf. I guess for me it would be about the atmosphere in the resort itself, if those living there were all golf fanatics then i'd have a hard time coping as i'd be an outcast, if on the other hand it was just a community hub where lots of social events are happening (ie not focussed solely on golf, sorry if i offend any golf fanatics) then i can see the benefits. Definitely something to go and see in person, some of those golf resorts i believe are very empty and ghost towns, go feel a few out and see if you like it.

NickFX Jan 30th 2012 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by strangemother (Post 9874167)
I have never "got" the whole idea of the golf course community thing. I have spent a lot of time travelling back and forth to the USA and they have a lot of communities like this there too. Still don't understand the whole thing too much myself. I hate golf. I guess for me it would be about the atmosphere in the resort itself, if those living there were all golf fanatics then i'd have a hard time coping as i'd be an outcast, if on the other hand it was just a community hub where lots of social events are happening (ie not focussed solely on golf, sorry if i offend any golf fanatics) then i can see the benefits. Definitely something to go and see in person, some of those golf resorts i believe are very empty and ghost towns, go feel a few out and see if you like it.

Fair enough, I dislike golf too so I may be a bit of an outcast. Also, I am 25 and my girlfriend is 29, so our age would likely make us outcasts. My guess is the crowd in a golf resort would be much older.

That being said it seems like the facilities are very good. Tennis courts, gym, pools, and supermarkets are packed into the resort from what I understand. I would also imagine you would be less likely to be burgled in a gated community.

It is interesting that many of them are ghost towns. I wonder if they are ghost towns because of the economy or because living their is not desirable.

Fredbargate Jan 30th 2012 7:06 pm

I rented in one for a few months last year.
It was deserted, a ghost town.
There was no supermarket only a club house that was expensive and unfriendly.
Nice swimming pools though.
But too far away from facilities to be a comfortable way of life.

strangemother Jan 30th 2012 7:09 pm

Maybe not everyone is into golf and they just built too many? They should create some different living resorts based around other hobbies/sports. If it is a ghost town type resort then i wouldn't expect the facilities to be that great either since there is no one really there to maintain them for - as glittering as the brochures look i'd be surprised if it was the reality on quiet resorts. Maybe go on holiday and visit one to see if you like it, i've seen a few advertised as holiday lets. If there are decent people in the community you can relate to i think that makes all the difference to be honest, more than the facilities for me it is the people who are around me and the atmosphere itself.

jackytoo Jan 30th 2012 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 9874205)
I rented in one for a few months last year.
It was deserted, a ghost town.
There was no supermarket only a club house that was expensive and unfriendly.
Nice swimming pools though.
But too far away from facilities to be a comfortable way of life.

Yes, good description. Even most golfers don't stay in them either. They prefer hotels and a bit of life.

jdr Jan 30th 2012 7:31 pm

Building golf courses were an easy option to get planning permission for housing projects. ;);)

casa del sol Jan 30th 2012 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 9874267)
Building golf courses were an easy option to get planning permission for housing projects. ;);)

I would imagine the service charges/maintenance fees would be high, it takes a fair bit of water to keep those greens green.

Fredbargate Jan 31st 2012 7:18 am

Originally Posted by casa del sol (Post 9874333)
I would imagine the service charges/maintenance fees would be high, it takes a fair bit of water to keep those greens green.

The place I was in had about 20 people in a development of about 150 flats,that is 20 people not 20 occupied flats, even in August that only increased to 40 people or so. Most of them appeared to be people on short term contracts and not permanent residents or golfers.
How can a development can survive with no income from community fees ?
I would imagine that lack of maintenance will soon devalue the whole project.

missile Jan 31st 2012 7:35 am

Some golf developments are very nice and close to all the amenities you might want in a local town, e.g. Algorfa. http://www.needahandspanishproperties.com/algorfa.html
Others are not so great, out in the wilderness with few facilities on site and a long drive to reach civilisation.

Why not suck it and see, try a holiday rental first.

agoreira Jan 31st 2012 2:31 pm

Some cracking casas in golf resorts here, cheap as chips. Be quick though, they're selling like hot cakes, only thousands left.
http://www.abc.es/20120131/economia/...201301456.html

Saxy Feb 2nd 2012 10:39 am

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9875792)
Some cracking casas in golf resorts here, cheap as chips. Be quick though, they're selling like hot cakes, only thousands left.
http://www.abc.es/20120131/economia/...201301456.html

I live at Bonalba Golf, just inland from El Campello, and it's fantastic. We are 10 minutes drive from just about everything, including the Hospital, and 25 minutes drive from Alicante Airport. The natives are very friendly and the beer's good.
You're in your 20s, no problem, dive in and enjoy the Spanish R&B scene, it's very vibrant! (I know,I'm part of it). There is 'Flat Green Bowling', Tennis, and Paddle Tennis.
Oh, by the way what's Golf?
Come and have a look!

John :);)

cricketman Feb 2nd 2012 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Saxy (Post 9879901)
I live at Bonalba Golf, just inland from El Campello, and it's fantastic. We are 10 minutes drive from just about everything, including the Hospital, and 25 minutes drive from Alicante Airport. The natives are very friendly and the beer's good.
You're in your 20s, no problem, dive in and enjoy the Spanish R&B scene, it's very vibrant! (I know,I'm part of it). There is 'Flat Green Bowling', Tennis, and Paddle Tennis.
Come and have a look!

Spanish R&B :rofl: I dont think I've ever heard a Spanish R&B song (thankfully)

Rap and hip hop is big around Sevilla, rock in Madrid and ska/reggae/2-tone along the Med Coast, but R&B never.

sujee Feb 2nd 2012 10:56 am

Maybe he means rhythm & blues. Old fogies like me have never got a grasp on the modern meaning of R&B :)

dorishaslop Feb 2nd 2012 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Saxy (Post 9879901)
Come and have a look!

Never knew you lived in Bonalba.... my OH stayed there while working for Inair, he says it was like a ghost town and was trying to put me off living there. He would like El Campello (so would I) so who knows, we may meet after all :D