Reload this Page >

Living in Gibraltar and thinking of school in Sotogrande

Living in Gibraltar and thinking of school in Sotogrande

Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

montagu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Gibraltar and thinking of school in Sotogrande

Hello Fellow Brits,

My husband and I are considering a move to Gibraltar and we are planning a trip over there later this month. We have a 5 year old daughter and we are considering sending her to Sotogrande International School. I understand that it is theoretically a 20 min drive away however that doesn't take into consideration the pesky Border Issue. Having read through all the previous discussions on the site, I know there is a lot of problems for folks trying to get to Gibraltar in the morning, but is it any better getting out in the morning? Is it rough all day long or just during commuting hours?

Alternatively, do any of you good folk have experience of the schools, public or private on the Rock?

All ideas and suggestions regarding a move to Gibraltar are most welcome!

Thanks for reading.

Jo
Old Dec 1st 2010, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Gibraltar and thinking of school in Sotogrande

Hi Jo

Why would you want to send your daughter at the age of 5 to a private school in Spain when you will be living in Gib?

Gib has a very good state school system that attracts pupils from Spain

With reference to the frontier the situation is very varialble, however leaving Gib at 8 - 9 in the morning normally presents very few problems.
Getting out of Gib later in the day to collect your daughter would be more of a challenge
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fred,
Thanks for your reply. You've posted a lot of helpful info on Gibraltar and I was hoping I might hear from you!

You make an excellent point about the schools on the Rock but I am a big fan of the International Baccalaureate and ISS has IB all the way through. I would consider a different school if it were bilingual but I haven't found any that fits the bill as yet. Are there any schools that you could particularly recommend?

Anyhow, thanks again for the info.

Jo
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montagu
Hi Fred,
Thanks for your reply. You've posted a lot of helpful info on Gibraltar and I was hoping I might hear from you!

You make an excellent point about the schools on the Rock but I am a big fan of the International Baccalaureate and ISS has IB all the way through. I would consider a different school if it were bilingual but I haven't found any that fits the bill as yet. Are there any schools that you could particularly recommend?

Anyhow, thanks again for the info.

Jo
Hi Jo, not being a parent means I have very little knowledge of childrens education, however is 5 not a little early to to worry about International Baccalaureate.

With regards to bilingual, Gibraltarian children generally speak Spanish at home and do not encounter English until they start school where the education is in English. Your daughter will learn Spanish in the playground.

A year or two in the Gib schools before making a decision could be the answer.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:19 am
Just Joined

spanishdancer is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone that I know that sends their children to Sotogrande school live in Spain. The state schools in Gibraltar are supposed to be very good and like someone else mentioned many children who live in Spain go into Gibraltar everyday for school rather than the other way around. With regards to bilingualism your children have as much chance as picking up a bit of Spanish in Gibraltar as they would have in Sotogrande school.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:30 am
Just Joined

EarlofGrey is an unknown quantity at this point

People buy houses in Gibraltar and leave them empty just so they can have a place in a Gib school.
Very good standard of education
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:41 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Fredbargate;9016311]Hi Jo, not being a parent means I have very little knowledge of childrens education, however is 5 not a little early to to worry about International Baccalaureate.

Fredbargate, for your reply. I had a little laugh about it being 'a little early to worry about the IB!' Perhaps I should have specified that I liked the ethos of the IB PYP (primary year program) and think it would be a good fit for her way of learning! I will give it at least a couple of years before I begin fretting about her A levels or IB (DP). (Don't hold me to it, though!)

Thanks SpanishDancer and Earl Grey for your comments. We are coming over next week to Gibraltar and Cadiz to get a lay of the land. You can only go so far informing yourself via the internet on a place. At the end of the day, you need to walk the streets, sit in cafes, oh and re-read your employment contract, before you can really know if a place could become home.

Thank you all for your helpful insights!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

EarlofGrey is an unknown quantity at this point

its nice at the moment.
but breezy by the sea and a touch rainy but its still a hell of a lot warmer than the uk.

Make sure you check out the no.1 tourist destination in Gibraltar.
Morrisons
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

hah, never heard of it this way around, as others have said, normally its live in Spain, try and get a school placement in Gib.

There would however, be no issues leaving Gib in the morning, yet more proof that what you are suggesting is very odd
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:40 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

You pay for international schools (usually around 500€ a term, depending on age) and from my knowledge, most of them follow the English curriculum of GCSEs and A levels and teach in English. I dont know about the Sotogrande school?! The Gib schools are state run and are "free", they follow the English curriculum and teach in English, with a good dose of Spanish.

Jo xxx
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
You pay for international schools (usually around 500€ a term, depending on age)
Jo xxx
Cheapskate's

Price link at bottom of this page:-
http://www.sis.ac/page/?title=Join+us&pid=4
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Emzdancer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jo,
I am new to the site and also new to the daunting but exciting possibility of moving to Gibraltar. My husband and I have 2 daughters age 2 and 1 and I am also trying to research into the local schools, and I have therefore found it very informative reading your discussion. The schools do look of a good standard in Gibraltar St Christophers looks very good. Although I do agree that you need to be there in person to get a feel of the place.
Can anybody give any additional info on toddler groups, pre school and places for young children?
Many Thanks
Emma
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emzdancer
Hi Jo,
I am new to the site and also new to the daunting but exciting possibility of moving to Gibraltar. My husband and I have 2 daughters age 2 and 1 and I am also trying to research into the local schools, and I have therefore found it very informative reading your discussion. The schools do look of a good standard in Gibraltar St Christophers looks very good. Although I do agree that you need to be there in person to get a feel of the place.
Can anybody give any additional info on toddler groups, pre school and places for young children?
Many Thanks
Emma
Although many moons ago now (1992) my eldest daughter went to St. Tereseas pre school on Line Wall road. It was still there when we last visited.She loved going there and they had a pet donkey.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Emzdancer
Many Thanks
Emma
From Gibraltar Yellow Pages

http://www.gibyellow.gi/company_resu...vice-search=Go
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Emzdancer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both so much that is very reassuring and informative! My little girls would love having a donkey at Pre-school. Lets hope they still have donkeys although Im almost sure it wont be the same one lol, although saying that they can live to about 20 so you never know x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.