Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in Gibraltar with non-eu partner (visa question)

Living in Gibraltar with non-eu partner (visa question)

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

dnbosiris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Gibraltar with non-eu partner (visa question)

Hi all,
I am a british citizen (passport holder) and am toying with the idea of moving to Gibraltar to live and work. I'm a few months away from qualifying as an accountant and have experience I imagine I'd be able to find a job in finance or accounting. My question relates to my partner as she is a kiwi and we are not married but in a long term relationship. She has experience in customer service and as a client relationship manager.

I understand that the laws in Gib say that non-eu's need to be sponsored by an employer in order to work there and this can only happen if the job is not able to be filled by someone local. In reality... does this happen? i.e. does anyone have experience with employers sponsoring people to work or does it generally not happen? is she entitled to a residency permit if she is able to get a work permit? is there another visa that would be more suitable ??

thanks in advance!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Gibraltar with non-eu partner (visa question)

why not ask here
http://www.migrationexpert.co.uk/vis...assy/gibraltar
they would be the place to ask, cant imagine there are many jobs there anyway to be honest, at least they could tell you which visa etc
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few Kiwi's working in Gib.
To visit she does not need a visa :- http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/visa
For a more definite answer on working contact the Ministry of Employment :- [email protected]
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

dnbosiris is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers guys for the links

I was more interested to hear if anyone knew of non-eu's (kiwis/aussies) being placed there or if companies see the paperwork requirements as too much trouble.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dnbosiris
cheers guys for the links

I was more interested to hear if anyone knew of non-eu's (kiwis/aussies) being placed there or if companies see the paperwork requirements as too much trouble.
There are hundreds of non EU's the majority are Moroccan but most countries in the world are represented.