Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living the dream?

Living the dream?

Old Nov 27th 2020, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living the dream?

Originally Posted by nb888
Thank you everyone for all your replies, they are really useful and some of the comments I must admit hadn't occurred to me, eg not having the right soil type or insufficient fertility to grow fruit / veg / herbs. The availability of water is a good point and my girlfriend raised this as a big consideration as more water seems to be getting sucked out of the system by big producers and general climate change. Being near a reliable water source is definitely going to be key, so yes perhaps it would make sense to look further north where there is more abundance of water. I think this is a problem that will only get worse over time.

Brexit is an unknown, in 10 years who knows what the situation will be. I guess it is a case of waiting and seeing. Based on our current circumstances I think we would be ok to meet the immediate post brexit requirements but who knows how the goalposts will move in the future. Yes we are both British nationals living in the UK at the minute, I do have immediate bloodline from a EU country but I am not sure if or how that would help, this is something I will need to research more.

Internet is essential so another important consideration, without a decent connection we can't do the day job! Thank you olivefarmer for the information about the internet, this is really useful and I'll do some research on those providers.

Thanks again for the feedback, I will be sure to ask any more questions. At the very least I will update this thread in 10 years time to say if / when we have made it to Spain!
Luckily there are still areas that are lush and green. Of course climate and cost play a big part but it's still good to know there are options.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living the dream?

I took a friend around over several days whilst he was looking for a property. Internet was important for him. He rented a SIM card for his stay and every house we went to he'd do several speed tests to avoid the guessing element so after signing a contract for internet realising it wasn't actually that good in that location. He only had a small amount of data on his UK phone and even though renting a SIM wasn't the cheapest thing to do, for the month he was in Spain, it served his purpose very well and got 300Gb.
In fact, for 45 Euros a month it maybe wasn't that expensive in comparison with some providers..
He got it from - https://www.spaininternet.net/data-sim-card-spain/