Living costs?

Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living costs?

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree, and I've said some things similar before, but not at such great length! I've always maintained humping bombonas about, especially for the elderly, is a bit third world, I'll happily pay a lot more just to flick a switch. Ditto with central heating. We've supposedly had one of the coldest winters ever here, but not once have I felt cold indoors, yet I read of folk here freezing at home in Spain in damp, cold houses. And I don't have to invest in back up kit due to the intermittent power supplies. Council tax, yep, certainly cheaper, but I'v also read of people on urbanisations paying large amounts, but these rarely get mentioned. Medical expenses, drugs etc can be more in Spain, here we have no prescription charges, and even before that if you were on a lot of repeat medicines, about £80 a year would cover all that. At the end of the day, personal happiness is what it's all about, and we should be where we feel happiest, provided we can afford it.
Same old, same old zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
A person would have to be very wealthy not to be affected by the exchange rate. A few years ago a £10,000 per month pension would have bought an income in euros of at least 15,000 euro per month now only 11,500 per month. That is a shortfall of 3500 each month! Something has to give, less expensive holidays, not changing the car as often etc. The higher the income the more you lose.

I have seen a lot of British who seem to live hand to mouth. A JFLS say there are an awful lot stood around the car boot sales. It isn't living the dream, the sun doesn't always shine and it can be cold. Wandering around LIDL trying to save a couple of euros is a depressing thought/way to end your life.
Where do I get one of these 10,000 quid a month pensions ?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently in the South of England but looking to move somewhere warmer
Mixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Same old, same old zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Is this how these forums work? I post a genuine question, asking for help/advice, and people respond with "helpful" comments like this?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Mixer
Is this how these forums work? I post a genuine question, asking for help/advice, and people respond with "helpful" comments like this?
The answer was to his/her post, anything people write about Spain he/she contradicts with UK is cheaper, warmer (never been cold or wet), and much better than Spain or similer drivel.
It is impossible to compare prices as the lifestyles are so different in each country.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

We have a place in both countries and overall I don't think there is a lot in it other than local taxes that are much less in Spain. (We have no community/urbanisation charges to pay on top).

This is based on a 110-115 euro/£ exchange rate. As you go above 115 Spain begins to look cheaper.

However it is difficult to make an accurate comparison for reasons stated by other posters.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently in the South of England but looking to move somewhere warmer

Originally Posted by jdr
The answer was to his/her post, anything people write about Spain he/she contradicts with UK is cheaper, warmer (never been cold or wet), and much better than Spain or similer drivel.
It is impossible to compare prices as the lifestyles are so different in each country.
But why post this? Every time someone posts an unhelpful answer like this, I read it in the hope that it will answer my original question! What a waste of time

Do people always go off topic on here?

It seems rather rude. And for the last time, we are moving to the CANARIES so the WARMTH of the climate is NOT an issue (I know it gets colder in the mountains, but we will not be living in the mountains).

Perhaps I have misunderstood the rules on here or something. I thought people would only answer the OP if they had something helpful to say.

Sigh.
Thanks to those who have been helpful dickdasterdly & others, thank you.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Please can I make it plain that I don't care if it is cheaper or more expensive in the Canaries. I am simply trying to work out if we can afford to live there, based on what we will be earning in Euros. I know what we will be earning in Euros, therefore all I need to know is how much things cost.

I never asked if it was cheaper!! When I stated what we pay in the UK for council tax etc, I did so because I was hoping that someone in the Canaries/Spain could do the same for me in return.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I am simply trying to work out if we can afford to live there, based on what we will be earning in Euros. I know what we will be earning in Euros, therefore all I need to know is how much things cost.
I think the logical thing to do would always be to chose an area specific forum when asking about cost of living in a certain place.

Lanzarote is not mainland Spain so a question asking if anyone contributing to this forum actually lives on Lanzarote would have been a good starting point.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Even a smaller income of say£20,000 pa. gives a reduced purchasing power of 7000 euro to what it did 2 years ago....

I think the figures quotes are way off the mark.

What are the rate figures did you use for now and 2 years ago?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Mixer, I am surprised to you know of forums that don't gooff topic

People don't mean to be rude, I think you are taking it a little personal
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I think the logical thing to do would always be to chose an area specific forum when asking about cost of living in a certain place.

Lanzarote is not mainland Spain so a question asking if anyone contributing to this forum actually lives on Lanzarote would have been a good starting point.
Here is my original post:
"Hello everyone,

We're new to this website and wanted to say how useful it is, thank you!

We are seriously thinking about moving to the Canary Islands (probably Lanzarote) and were wondering if anyone could give us an idea of the cost of living there? Things like electricity, water, other utilities, rates, taxes, weekly food shopping (we are a family of 4) .... any help would be much appreciated.

Any handy tips / advice? We are British and have lived in Australia, Italy and Belgium, but since having our kids (aged 6 and 4) we have been based in the UK. Finally sick and tired of the weather, the ever-increasing cost of living, and the feeling that we just don't want to be here any more ...

Thanks in advance"

I clearly meantioned the Canary Islands and Lanzarote. Gah!!And yes, I could name an online forum that I use frequently where people stick to the topic.

OK, I'm off to Elle and Alan's Lanzarote website which is probably where I should have stayed all along. Thanks for your comments & adios.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:05 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my original post:
"Hello everyone,

We're new to this website and wanted to say how useful it is, thank you!

We are seriously thinking about moving to the Canary Islands (probably Lanzarote) and were wondering if anyone could give us an idea of the cost of living there? Things like electricity, water, other utilities, rates, taxes, weekly food shopping (we are a family of 4) .... any help would be much appreciated.

Any handy tips / advice? We are British and have lived in Australia, Italy and Belgium, but since having our kids (aged 6 and 4) we have been based in the UK. Finally sick and tired of the weather, the ever-increasing cost of living, and the feeling that we just don't want to be here any more ...

Thanks in advance"

I clearly meantioned the Canary Islands and Lanzarote. Gah!!And yes, I could name an online forum that I use frequently where people stick to the topic.

OK, I'm off to Elle and Alan's Lanzarote website which is probably where I should have stayed all along. Thanks for your comments & adios.

I dont mind the "off topic" stuff (altho sometimes it goes too far), but the constant bickering and insults stop me posting very often on here.

In answer to your question, I would suggest that when you've done as much research on the internet as you can, you go over there for a few fact finding missions. Make lists of all the things you want to and look at it objectively.

Good luck

Jo xxx
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:38 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=whitelinen;9234875]I think the logical thing to do would always be to chose an area specific forum when asking about cost of living in a certain place.

Lanzarote is not mainland Spain , and everyone pays the same for water and electric bills.

Surely it depends on the type of life they haveor aspire to and not the island itself.

Like for like question, example,can anyone tell me how much the electiric, water and rent is on the Isle of Wight not mainland Britian, but only the isle of Wight?

Impossible to answer.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

Impossible to answer.
Never mind, they've left in a huff now, so no worries! Our loss.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

What did we say !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.