Living costs?

Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:15 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living costs?

For those still in doubt.

http://www.barcelonareporter.com/ind..._in_euro_zone/
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes I can't wait for it....we have only discussed prices comparison in about 100 threads
TBH, I recall most if not all Threads you speak of being about "UK Cheaper" , in turn sometimes circumvents into "not so much, Spain is cheaper".
I do not think I've seen a Thread .::. Spain is cheaper.
DSB.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Living costs?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
For those wishing to notice the last sentence....

Although admitting that these figures “are in line” with the evolution of consumer prices in recent years

DSB.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Beautiful way of picking data to fit a certain agenda

Inflation of consumer prices in Spain = 3.1%
Inflation of consumer prices in the UK = 4.0%

i.e. prices are increasing more sharply in the UK than in Spain. Mainly driven by increase in food prices.

I've actually seen my supermarket bill decrease over the past 2 years as Hipercor have reduced prices trying to attract people to go to the Mijas store, full of offers now too! Seems to be working, it used to be pretty empty when we first went, now while never really busy it is a lot busier than it used to be.

By the way, there is no doubt to me that Spain is a lot cheaper than the UK. Thing is British people who move here normally have to take a cut in income to do so, so then they become more price sensitive.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently in the South of England but looking to move somewhere warmer
Mixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mr Dasterdly,

Good point. Yes, we have visited the Canaries very recently, but only as tourists - that's why I was trying to guage how much it actually costs to live there. I wasn't trying to kick off a debate re whether Spain or the UK is more expensive - I am interested in the cost of things like utilities, home insurance, medical insurance etc, so that we can see whether our potential earnings in the Canaries (and we do know, pretty much exactly, what we would be earning) would support the lifestyle we want. Or whether we are dreaming!

I would have assumed that there would be some differences in the cost of certain items between mainland Spain and the Canaries. There's a difference in the cost of basic items, such as bread, between the North & South of England too, even though people deny it. I have seen it with my own eyes.

For those of you who live in Spain and are wondering whether it's cheaper or not - I don't know, but I can tell you that it costs about £65 to fill up my 50-litre diesel car now, and over £85 to fill up my husband's VW Passat. Council tax is £170 per month. Electricity & gas are approx £65 per month each. Water and sewerage approx £80 per month, based on our usage for a family of 4. Don't get me started on the cost of food ...

We're visiting the Canaries again in a couple of weeks' time, so I shall be scrutinising prices with great interest.

Have a good weekend everyone, and enjoy the sunshine which we certainly don't have here in the UK at the moment
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:06 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

What sunshine ? It's pissing it down here.

I aint wondering food is cheaper in the UK.
Normal run of the mill stuff you can pick up in B&Q, costs the earth, if you can get it.

Still wouldn't live there though.

Last edited by Grebo; Mar 11th 2011 at 2:12 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:47 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grebo
What sunshine ? It's pissing it down here.

I aint wondering food is cheaper in the UK.
Normal run of the mill stuff you can pick up in B&Q, costs the earth, if you can get it.

Still wouldn't live there though.
Well just once in a while as in TF the mainland climate reverses itself, N.to S.,... seems it's been lovely up North lately.
Nice to have some much needed rain at my place anyway, it was getting much too dry for the time of year.
Just like home from home now.

Yeh, B&Q is arms and legs, but so are most of the Spanish equivalents such as Leroys, even the Chinese shops seem to have doubled their prices these last few years since they have got rid of much of the equivalent Spanish competition.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:00 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by cricketman
Beautiful way of picking data to fit a certain agenda

Inflation of consumer prices in Spain = 3.1%
Inflation of consumer prices in the UK = 4.0%

i.e. prices are increasing more sharply in the UK than in Spain. Mainly driven by increase in food prices.

I've actually seen my supermarket bill decrease over the past 2 years as Hipercor have reduced prices trying to attract people to go to the Mijas store, full of offers now too! Seems to be working, it used to be pretty empty when we first went, now while never really busy it is a lot busier than it used to be.

By the way, there is no doubt to me that Spain is a lot cheaper than the UK. Thing is British people who move here normally have to take a cut in income to do so, so then they become more price sensitive.
Up to 7 or 8 years ago you didn't need to stop and think about it, as Spain was so much cheaper. Now all things considered, it's swings and roudabouts in IMO, speaking as one who shares time between countries.
Over the longer term of the past ten years or so Spanish inflation has been far greater than the UK or most of W.Europe.
The figures you quote in the UK are down to one off emergency measures, as you well know, and are forecast to return close to normal within a year or so.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

AlanGNW will become famous soon enough

In answer to the original question, and as has been said, it's much of a muchness. Some things more expensive, some cheaper. I live in Lanzarote and wouldn't go back, though many have the last couple of years.

Unlikely you'll make a fortune here, but the quality of life by comparison is a hands down winner over the UK.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:12 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Other things more than food and bill need to be considered for the cost of living.

If you have children, then the school books and other stuff, that can add up to quite a bit.

Then there is the cost of medical bits and bobs, and prescription charges to be considered, as you pay a percentage of the price if you are under pension age, then some items can end up costing a fortune, compared to the UK flat rate of 7 quid or whatever.

National insurance for self employed where applicable, a lot more than the minimum in the UK.

Of course all this is variable and depending on the family in question
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

I feel that OUTGOINGS should be treated as just that.
Not comparing TOMATOES or BEER or JEANS..

Count the OUTGOINGS, then, which is "cheaper" ?
DSB.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:05 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

As DSB said, comparing outgoings is a different matter, not the same as where is the most expensive coffee, Pacos Bar or Starbucks.

But outgoings is a difficult one to pin down.

Things like Electric and gas bills bill are often claimed to be cheaper than the UK. Possible, but is it only due to a change in country, could it not be because, after selling the family home, as many claim a big detatched property and moving to a small 2 bedroomed place, the bill were bound to be cheaper as the property is a lot smaller.

this would also be the case if you downsized in the UK too.

Gas is cheaper, if you use the bombonas, even more so, but when people mention the saving in price they dont mention the hassle, how many would have been happy using the "bottles" for cooking and water heating in the UK. Not many would be my guess.....

So although it is cheaper for the gas, it cannot always be compared like for like, because it is a lot more inconvenient, and as we all know, convenience has to be paid at premium prices.

I would rather pay more for gas and not have the damn bottle run out while I am in the shower in the middle of winter......

The biggest saving in Spain from the UK is "council tax".
again, not always comparable UK/Spain.

Council tax figures of over a couple of hundred a month are often quoted on here too, but if downsizing in the UK, to a smaller property (which is more often than not what folks do when they come to Spain) would bring the council tax bill down by a good chunk.

Other outgoings depend on family members, are there children, if so the "unavoidable" expenses such as school books and such are more expensive in Spain.
If becoming self employed, the minimum NI contribution is astronamical in comparison to the UK, so that could potentially wipe out any savings made on council tax and gas bills in one fell swoop.

Health care, if below pension age, you would need private insurance, if you are noit paying into the system. And depending on the medication needed by family members, not pension aged, can cost a fortune, even when contribution to the system, I know people who pay hundreds a month for prescritions, as there is no maximum per item as in the UK. 7 quid or thereabouts.
As for as it is often suggested, look for the generic drug, which is cheaper, its all well and good for unimportant conditions, but where it is more serious, I would rather follow the doctors advice to the letter, it does look a bit SH==y if your wife needs medication, and you ask the chemist if there is a cheaper version.....:

Petrol prices are often quoted, as folks were spending a fortune on the commute to work, OK, that is a great saving, but it is a change of circumstance that brings this about, not the move to Spain.

Wherever you live the savings become more evident if yo use the car less, if you see what I mean. So that saving would also reflect in outgoings compared to UK, which is not quite right, because the saveing would have been made wherever you retired or stopped working, UK or Spain.

Internet, is more expensive, and essestial for some not for others.
Some might need to factor in translators, at least for a while, and of course if your children go to International schools becsue of age or lack of language abilites, costs.

The free dental care for children, would have to paid for in Spain, which if it has to be paid for, I would class it as an outgoing, because it cannot be avoided, not like a night at the bowling alley.

Each individual has their own life , and so outgoings can vary greatly, but as DSB said, dont just compare incidentals, like beer and petrol.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Living costs?

JLFS,

That is one of my top five best posts I've read on this forum.
Transparent, factual, and to the point.

I like this Forum, today
DSB.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
JLFS,

That is one of my top five best posts I've read on this forum.
Transparent, factual, and to the point.

I like this Forum, today
DSB.
Agree, and I've said some things similar before, but not at such great length! I've always maintained humping bombonas about, especially for the elderly, is a bit third world, I'll happily pay a lot more just to flick a switch. Ditto with central heating. We've supposedly had one of the coldest winters ever here, but not once have I felt cold indoors, yet I read of folk here freezing at home in Spain in damp, cold houses. And I don't have to invest in back up kit due to the intermittent power supplies. Council tax, yep, certainly cheaper, but I'v also read of people on urbanisations paying large amounts, but these rarely get mentioned. Medical expenses, drugs etc can be more in Spain, here we have no prescription charges, and even before that if you were on a lot of repeat medicines, about £80 a year would cover all that. At the end of the day, personal happiness is what it's all about, and we should be where we feel happiest, provided we can afford it.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Living costs?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes I can't wait for it....we have only discussed prices comparison in about 100 threads
I agree we dont need the hundred and first! Surprising though, that if there has been so much written in previous threads why do people still say its expensive to live in Spain. Just try spending less..simples!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.