British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Living in Castelldefels - or another area cheaper close to Barcelona? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/living-castelldefels-another-area-cheaper-close-barcelona-890984/)

shacho Feb 1st 2017 8:59 pm

Living in Castelldefels - or another area cheaper close to Barcelona?

My ex-wife is looking to buy an apartment in Castelldefels. I know nothing about the area other than a brief visit. She is looking to buy there as cheaper than in Barcelona and not far from her work - she has 190,000 to buy something - but I would have to move near there as well as we have 2 young children - 6 & 4 and because of my ex's work hours I collect them most days from school.

Currently they are at school in Sarria since they moved to Spain in Sep, but obviously there is no way she is going to be able to afford something anywhere near here . I've been here since November. I'll be renting for sometime anyway but I don't want to agree to an area which would tie me (and more importantly the kids) to a long time if it isn't suitable. Does anyone know what the schools are like? The kids speak Spanish (ex is Spanish) and now speaking Catalan

She is open to other locations close to Barcelona but I think she believed Barcelona was going to be cheaper than what it is, the exchange rate hasn't gone in her favour either having just sold her property in UK. Happy with the quiet life and community feel for the kids and as she is Spanish (hasn't lived in Spain for 20 years until last Sep) is easier for her than me to settle in and get things done but it seems she still is unsure of many things which concerns me.

Thanks in Advance

Shacho

Moses2013 Feb 2nd 2017 7:36 am

Re: Living in Castelldefels - or another area cheaper close to Barcelona?

Originally Posted by shacho (Post 12168227)
My ex-wife is looking to buy an apartment in Castelldefels. I know nothing about the area other than a brief visit. She is looking to buy there as cheaper than in Barcelona and not far from her work - she has 190,000 to buy something - but I would have to move near there as well as we have 2 young children - 6 & 4 and because of my ex's work hours I collect them most days from school.

Currently they are at school in Sarria since they moved to Spain in Sep, but obviously there is no way she is going to be able to afford something anywhere near here . I've been here since November. I'll be renting for sometime anyway but I don't want to agree to an area which would tie me (and more importantly the kids) to a long time if it isn't suitable. Does anyone know what the schools are like? The kids speak Spanish (ex is Spanish) and now speaking Catalan

She is open to other locations close to Barcelona but I think she believed Barcelona was going to be cheaper than what it is, the exchange rate hasn't gone in her favour either having just sold her property in UK. Happy with the quiet life and community feel for the kids and as she is Spanish (hasn't lived in Spain for 20 years until last Sep) is easier for her than me to settle in and get things done but it seems she still is unsure of many things which concerns me.

Thanks in Advance

Shacho

Barcelona has always been expensive and plenty of foreign buyers driving prices up. Unless you move a bit further inland (Vallès Oriental/Vallès Occidental ) you will find it expensive. Sabadell might be an option but finding something cheap along the coast will mean a longer commute.

We have a place 1 hour from Barcelona (a few minutes from coast) and you can get a big house with pool for that money but not possible in Castelldefels. The outskirts of Malgrat, Blanes, Lloret are nice and cheap and many Spanish do the commute but that's the price you have to pay to get more space.

shacho Feb 2nd 2017 9:19 am

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't looked at Sabadell. I'm not so bothered about looking along the coast. One of my thoughts was that she could buy in Rubi and I'd live in Sant Cugat and have the kids go to school there. i believe it is around 20 mins by car.

shacho Feb 2nd 2017 9:21 am

Note that she is open to location, we are very amicable and actually i've been coming along while she has been looking at a places to buy

TheLostPhotographer Feb 2nd 2017 1:24 pm

On the very good, cheap, reliable trains from Barcelona you need to go past Castelldefels and Sitges to get good value. Vilanova i La Getru is a very nice little town. Old fishing town which retains it's 'authentic Catalan' spirit (I have no idea what I am on about). Nice, old central square. A beach with grass! Well worth a look. The extra 10 minutes commute could save you Tens of Thousands.

Castelldefels is very much a tourism town and fashionable place for footballers and the like to live. It does have excellent services, a beautiful, very large beach and fantastic sports and water sports facilities, but summer rental demands push house prices into unrealistic margins for real, everyday working folk. The place also lacks soul IMO.

In that part of Spain, I would really recommend taking a look at Vilanova.

Kenwoodlad Feb 3rd 2017 6:31 am

In that part of Spain, I would really recommend taking a look at Vilanova.
I would second that. Vilanova was high on our list of potential places to settle when we moved to Spain. We visited there a lot and always loved the place and the people. And it is easily commutable to Barcelona either by train or bus.

shacho Feb 6th 2017 11:44 am

Thanks for your input, I'll certainly take a look at Vilanova. It seems very nice from the info on the web. My ex now seems set on moving to Castelldefels, my concerns around the schooling etc still remain however I (nor does she) have any idea on what they are like.