Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

LIVING IN BENALMADENA PUEBLO & ARROYO DE LA MIEL

LIVING IN BENALMADENA PUEBLO & ARROYO DE LA MIEL

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:56 am
Just Joined

forry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LIVING IN BENALMADENA PUEBLO & ARROYO DE LA MIEL

Hi, myself, wife and little girl are looking to move to spain for a trial period of 6months to a year and are looking to rent a property. we are in our 20's. We want an area where there are british and spanish people.After looking endlessly online we have narrowed down 2 areas we would like to visit.

Can anyone tell me a bit on the two locations.(BENALMADENA PUEBLO & ARROYO DE LA MIEL)

Main criteria would be that we can make friends with British and spanish and that there are good schools aswell.

My daughter is only 2 but for future would like to know about achools.
Also cost of eating out etc compared to other costal towns.

thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:55 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LIVING IN BENALMADENA PUEBLO & ARROYO DE LA MIEL

Originally Posted by forry
Hi, myself, wife and little girl are looking to move to spain for a trial period of 6months to a year and are looking to rent a property. we are in our 20's. We want an area where there are british and spanish people.After looking endlessly online we have narrowed down 2 areas we would like to visit.

Can anyone tell me a bit on the two locations.(BENALMADENA PUEBLO & ARROYO DE LA MIEL)

Main criteria would be that we can make friends with British and spanish and that there are good schools aswell.

My daughter is only 2 but for future would like to know about achools.
Also cost of eating out etc compared to other costal towns.

thanks
I live near the Pueblo and Arroyo. The pueblo is lovely, pretty and has a fair few brits as well as tourists, I'm not a lover of Arroyo, but its ok - its a town. The cost of eating out is quite pricey, probably due to it being very touristy and its that time of the year, I noticed that the prices in the restaurants I used to go to shot up a couple of months ago. I dont know how it compares to the UK, altho a friend of mine has just returned to Spain after a visit and reckons that the UK is much cheaper than here for most things now, including eating out, electricity, general cost of living etc??????

Jo xxx
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the reply. i suppose you need to weigh things up. although more expensive it may well be a better lifestyle in terms of sun etc.

I live in scotland and it has rained almost everyday for 2 months.
not good

thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:48 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply. i suppose you need to weigh things up. although more expensive it may well be a better lifestyle in terms of sun etc.

I live in scotland and it has rained almost everyday for 2 months.
not good

thanks
Theres more to life than sun. Trust me, in the winter Spain has rain - probably more than the UK has annually in a few months!!

Come over for some fact finding visits, get a feel for it here

Jo xxx
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We live there and it suits us fine, but as Jo says you need to come and see for yourself.
I agree with Jo about the price rises, although if you stay away from most of the Brit bars then you can get cheaper meals etc.
Saying that though there are a couple of really good Brit/Spanish run places in Fuengirola, good food, friendly service and very reasonable.
The Pueblo has a brand new Hospital and also a new clinic that is opening soon when enough staff can be found.
Schools are excellent and there are also pre-school places, your daughter could start school next year.
The council are spending loads of money at the moment on roads, lighting and plants and new gardens as you drive out of the Pueblo towards Fuengirola.
Mmmmm rain, you have`nt seen rain till you have lived in Spain, they are still rebuilding some of the mountains along the seafront road between Benalmadena and Fuengirola.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. it all sounds good but like you say need to try it to see what we think.
I dont mind rain at all and coming from scotland i am use to it.

its nice to have a bit of both and not just one of the same all the time.
Are there expats of the age range from 20 odds to late 30s. i know this is an open question and realise there are all ages but just dont want to live somewhere that has mostly retirees

thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. it all sounds good but like you say need to try it to see what we think.
I dont mind rain at all and coming from scotland i am use to it.

its nice to have a bit of both and not just one of the same all the time.
Are there expats of the age range from 20 odds to late 30s. i know this is an open question and realise there are all ages but just dont want to live somewhere that has mostly retirees

thanks
There are quite a few young Brit mums send their children to the school where my grand children go.
I would think most Brits here are early retired/retired as it is really hard to find enough well paid work to sustain a family now, so lots have returned to the UK.
About 40% unemployment at the mo, and that is only the legal figures, unknown how many looking for any work that are not registered.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
unknown how many looking for any work that are not registered.
Also unknown how many are registered unemployed but working on the black market....
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by rachelk
Also unknown how many are registered unemployed but working on the black market....
Yes, that also.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:43 pm
squeaky clean

There are many different age groups around here, and actually if you have a child, you'll find once your little lady starts school or even just being out and about with her, you'll find other british mums with kids.

Jo xxx