Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

LIVING IN ANDALUCIA

LIVING IN ANDALUCIA

Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LIVING IN ANDALUCIA

HTML Code:
don't so much enjoy the tattooed expats lifting pints at 09.00 a.m ,

Not all Spain has the above, anymore than any other country, and most certainly not around here, stereotype or what
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:51 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
HTML Code:
don't so much enjoy the tattooed expats lifting pints at 09.00 a.m ,

Not all Spain has the above, anymore than any other country, and most certainly not around here, stereotype or what
their too busy sleeping the night before off -

but get them in the Uk holding on to a tinnie or two, waiting for the 10.00 watershed when the licence comes in

the other morning 2 Poles got abusive because the liquer was on show but were refused - I was buying the morning paper at 8.45
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:58 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

but get them in the Uk holding on to a tinnie or two, waiting for the 10.00 watershed when the licence comes in

the other morning 2 Poles got abusive because the liquer was on show but were refused - I was buying the morning paper at 8.45
What time in the morning are shops in Spain allowed to start selling alcohol? I only ask because of that law that stopped them selling after 10pm. Always seemed a strange law that one, when you can pop into a bar for gin-tonic or whisky at 2am or later..
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

I wouldn't know about shops and their hours of selling alcohol ( never had any trouble purchasing any anywhere in Spain , except that I did not like the pricings too much , especially of better red wine ) ;
but I very clearly remember e.g. Nerja ( Axarxia ) in early July 2 years ago ; at around 09.00 , something called Terrace or Promenade of Europe ( a quite nice walk/stroll and views ) , on a beautiful sunny morning and , yes , at quite a few tables in front of restaurants , the big lagers ( pints or half-liters ) were very popular , with foreign punters .
Would be considered abnormal , in some other countries - albeit , who are we to criticise ?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:55 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
I wouldn't know about shops and their hours of selling alcohol ( never had any trouble purchasing any anywhere in Spain , except that I did not like the pricings too much , especially of better red wine ) ;
but I very clearly remember e.g. Nerja ( Axarxia ) in early July 2 years ago ; at around 09.00 , something called Terrace or Promenade of Europe ( a quite nice walk/stroll and views ) , on a beautiful sunny morning and , yes , at quite a few tables in front of restaurants , the big lagers ( pints or half-liters ) were very popular , with foreign punters .
Would be considered abnormal , in some other countries - albeit , who are we to criticise ?
I think the licensing laws (or lack of them) do play a part. It was unusual in the UK to see people drinking alcohol in the morning (apart from the winos in the park). But since the relaxation of laws over the years, you can now see drinkers with a pint in front of them at 10 in the morning in Wetherspoons and their like. There again, it's not unknown to see a guy in a Spanish bar have a whisky with his coffee at 9am.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I think the licensing laws (or lack of them) do play a part. It was unusual in the UK to see people drinking alcohol in the morning (apart from the winos in the park). But since the relaxation of laws over the years, you can now see drinkers with a pint in front of them at 10 in the morning in Wetherspoons and their like. There again, it's not unknown to see a guy in a Spanish bar have a whisky with his coffee at 9am.
ISTR seeing people buying a coffee + grappa in a bar in the Piazza del Duomo in Milan at 10.00, but then I also saw the same thing at 22.00 in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II across the way. Its their way of life and quite honestly there seems to be less of the thugish falling down and abusing people attitude that we get in the Uk or export to the costa's every summer holiday

I didn't think you could buy a drink in the Uk before 10.00 ??
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Many farmers and peasants have a good schnapps i.e. badly-distilled homemade spirits , loke peach and plum brandy , even at 07.00 or before , on empty stomachs , in places like Serbia , Hungary etc . That's still considered macho and masculine . Many also get a lot of digestive tract problems .
One would think that a certain amount of education , in the EU , would disencourage such practices , or reduce them ; no such thing - as even in the heart of Germany , I observed guys picking up a large-ish Jaegermeister and a pint of lager , as soon as the shop opened , which happenned to be 08.00 sharp , when I was there to buy an apple and a pastry with a cup of coffee .
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:39 pm

Many farmers and peasants have a good schnapps i.e. badly-distilled homemade spirits , loke peach and plum brandy , even at 07.00 or before , on empty stomachs , in places like Serbia , Hungary etc . That's still considered macho and masculine . Many also get a lot of digestive tract problems .
One would think that a certain amount of education , in the EU , would disencourage such practices , or reduce them ; no such thing - as even in the heart of Germany , I observed guys picking up a large-ish Jaegermeister and a pint of lager , as soon as the shop opened , which happenned to be 08.00 sharp , when I was there to buy an apple and a pastry with a cup of coffee .
perhaps because they haven't had to deal with the licencing laws introduced to stop ammunition workers from blowing themselves up in WWI or machine operators falling asleep on their machines.
The Uk has been one of the most restrictive in the world, then we wonder why we have problems with people who want to get as much as they can down their necks twixt 8 and 10 before closing.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

I seem to understand that in most Med countries , alcohol abuse is not really a problem , at least not for the locals ? ( they always could have had it and they don't much care for it , usually ? Unless it's some special celebration , it seems ? )
When I'm in Italy , the bar has hundreds of polished bottles of every booze , known or unknown to me behind it , I am not aware of any time-restrictions once the place is open - yet everyone only drinks esspresso , capuccino and San Pellegrino .
I've also read that in France , ( the world's most affordable wine ) over 50% of inhabitants don't touch the booze - much to do with the draconic driving laws or with trying to look their best ?
And in Bruxelles , since years , stop at your local and it's been a small beer , a coffee or a glass of wine , Ricard or some soft drink ; the owner of my local bistro , which I've frequented for over 10 years , said to me the other day , how a bottle of whisky or gin or cognac or other spirits sits there for months ( so , every bar is reducing the selection , dead money ) . Only the 5-star establishments trade well in expensive booze , to EUrocrats , even then it is Champagne mostly and fine wines .
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:33 pm

I seem to understand that in most Med countries , alcohol abuse is not really a problem , at least not for the locals ? ( they always could have had it and they don't much care for it , usually ? Unless it's some special celebration , it seems ? )
When I'm in Italy , the bar has hundreds of polished bottles of every booze , known or unknown to me behind it , I am not aware of any time-restrictions once the place is open - yet everyone only drinks esspresso , capuccino and San Pellegrino .
I've also read that in France , ( the world's most affordable wine ) over 50% of inhabitants don't touch the booze - much to do with the draconic driving laws or with trying to look their best ?
And in Bruxelles , since years , stop at your local and it's been a small beer , a coffee or a glass of wine , Ricard or some soft drink ; the owner of my local bistro , which I've frequented for over 10 years , said to me the other day , how a bottle of whisky or gin or cognac or other spirits sits there for months ( so , every bar is reducing the selection , dead money ) . Only the 5-star establishments trade well in expensive booze , to EUrocrats , even then it is Champagne mostly and fine wines .
general bars in Spain will have bottles of Spanish brandy, Scots whisky, but NEVER a French Brandy.
you may be able to get in some of the more upmarket hotels but not in general bars.
I have even seen police patrols call into a bar and have a short with a coffee then drive off
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:38 pm
Not Banned (yet)

general bars in Spain will have bottles of Spanish brandy, Scots whisky, but NEVER a French Brandy.
you may be able to get in some of the more upmarket hotels but not in general bars.
I have even seen police patrols call into a bar and have a short with a coffee then drive off
I've often been amazed by the selection of different whiskys you can find in some Spanish bars (I'm talking Madrid here, may be different in other parts). Then a customer will come in, ask for a specific high-cost brand, but then have coke with it!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I've often been amazed by the selection of different whiskys you can find in some Spanish bars (I'm talking Madrid here, may be different in other parts). Then a customer will come in, ask for a specific high-cost brand, but then have coke with it!
just buying the brand - of coke ! all that does is make it another alcoholic drink

have always wondered what would happen if I went to a bar and did a tasting session for whisky's. So many people tell me they can't tell the differences in taste - usually the same eejuts that tell me how rubbish a particular wine is or NO you should nt put Red in the fridge.
Just don't tell them I have been known to put a (small) lump of ice in a red

they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a grappa and a saki
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes , the whisky/cognac/vodka/gin snobbery seems to be the thing of the past , as one moves northwards .
As regards the cops , I have seen the same : policemen having a strong "short" quickly , in Croatia , with or without coffee or a chaser , any excuse or none required ; and it's all offered free .
But , that's where the buck stops i.e. once you cross that border going north , it does not happen , not in Slovenia , Austria , N. Italy , Switzerland , Germany etc . Something to with the mentality , or is it responsibility ?
In my 12 years in Bruxelles , I have never yet seen any uniformed police person drinking even a smallest beer in a public place .
Nothing to do with Andalucia , I know - and I do have some good memories from there , too .
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

you miss my point, we dont have tourists, let alone those mentioned, hence, we dont have the problem, can count the brits on one hand here, thank god, none tourist, no lager louts, bingo or nightclubs yeyyyyyyyyyy
just good scuba diving
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by pwwm
you miss my point, we dont have tourists, let alone those mentioned, hence, we dont have the problem, can count the brits on one hand here, thank god, none tourist, no lager louts, bingo or nightclubs yeyyyyyyyyyy
just good scuba diving
Mental note: Albunol is in a time warp and has no tourists
don;'t let the media people for Andalucia know or they will start making television ads there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.