Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

LIVING IN ANDALUCIA

LIVING IN ANDALUCIA

Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:41 am
Just Joined

forry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LIVING IN ANDALUCIA

Hi, i am looking for some advice. myself and my wife and child are thinking of moving in or around malaga area from Scotland. i am a web designer and will be looking for a job in this field.

Can anyone tell me which areas are nice and have an expat community and things to do as a family.

thanks

Last edited by forry; Jun 1st 2011 at 12:59 am.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:48 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LIVING IN ANDALUCIA

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at Sevilla, pockets of many expat nationalities, in the villages around. The American Womens Club has a great social side for families. the city has lots to do and schools for the children. Lots of property to choose from many rentals my side of town are reduced as are some house prices. Try looking at Sevilla5.com, Casaljarafe Inmobililaria and isbuscando.com

Sorry don't know about work as am a retired Scot :-)

Welcome to BE lots of good info to be found on here.

Last edited by bxpuser24710519; Jun 1st 2011 at 1:07 am. Reason: Correct typing errors !
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply 'The Capitans Wench'.
Sorry i should have been more specific in my post. i have seen a lot of web design agencies in malaga so around this area would be where we would be looking to move to.

I have heard estepona is nice although it may be too far to travel to malaga for work.

thanks again for your reply. you will be glad to know that the weather is miserable in scotland. some things never change.haha

thanks
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

De nada, no worries hope you find what you are looking for.

Oh dear sis will not be a happy bunny again, hope you get the weather sorted for August
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by forry
Hi, i am looking for some advice. myself and my wife and child are thinking of moving in or around malaga area from Scotland. i am a web designer and will be looking for a job in this field.

Can anyone tell me which areas are nice and have an expat community and things to do as a family.

thanks
I don't know that area personally, but my advice would be the same wherever in Spain you want to move to - don't burn any bridges in Scotland until you have a proper job with a proper contract to come to - good luck

unemployment Andalucía

unemployment Málaga
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:38 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply 'The Capitans Wench'.
Sorry i should have been more specific in my post. i have seen a lot of web design agencies in malaga so around this area would be where we would be looking to move to.

I have heard estepona is nice although it may be too far to travel to malaga for work.

thanks again for your reply. you will be glad to know that the weather is miserable in scotland. some things never change.haha

thanks
Estepona is nice but it would probably take you an hour or so to get to work in Malaga. There are lots of places nearer with big expat communities - Marbella, Fuengirola, Benalmadena and Torremolinos are on the coast but many smaller places inland as well.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:52 am
Just Joined

thanks. i will look at these places. although we want an expat community we also want to be part of the spanish community.

i think it may be a good idea to go for a holiday and check out some of the places.

How is the standard of living in terms of price of food etc

thanks
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks. i will look at these places. although we want an expat community we also want to be part of the spanish community.

i think it may be a good idea to go for a holiday and check out some of the places.

How is the standard of living in terms of price of food etc

thanks
some things are cheaper, some more expensive - as a general rule of thumb the overall cost of living isn't very much different to the UK - but wages (if you can get a job) are generally lower

how old is your child?

if s/he is over the age of about 10, you would be well advised to seriously consider private british/international school - which would cost several 1000€ a year
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:02 am
Just Joined

We had it in mind for me to be the sole earner at the start. my wife is a dance/choreographer teacher so i would imagine this could be difficult to get a job.

My wee girl is only 2 which would mean nursery if my wife got a job.
i have been looking at average wage and it is lower than the UK but i wouldnt mind that if we have a better standard of living and we are outdoors more.

i just want my daughter to grow up somewhere nice although i dont want to struggle to survive.

thanks for the info
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:47 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

We had it in mind for me to be the sole earner at the start. my wife is a dance/choreographer teacher so i would imagine this could be difficult to get a job.

My wee girl is only 2 which would mean nursery if my wife got a job.
i have been looking at average wage and it is lower than the UK but i wouldnt mind that if we have a better standard of living and we are outdoors more.

i just want my daughter to grow up somewhere nice although i dont want to struggle to survive.

thanks for the info
Hi. In your first post you state you are a web designer. There have been posters on here who state they do this in Spain, so I imagine the openings are there if you wish to pursue them. It's an area where you can work from anywhere, so you have that advantage, but if you keep UK clients you may need to travel back periodically to meet clients (skype and other tools notwithstanding). If you're good in the seo area, that may be an option to develop as Spanish companies are focussing a lot on exports in order to increase revenue.
I know the web development side (php, javascript, ruby on rails) is exploding everywhere, but that may be outside your area. The major source of IT jobs in Spain are in Madrid, Barcelona and the Basque area (including Navarra). Try looking on infojobs.net or for a feed of current jobs look here ( all sorts here, but IT jobs turn up a lot) http://twitter.com/#!/list/MigginsPies/spainjobs As an aside, look carefully before you decide to go self-employed (autonomo). There are benefits in choosing this route, so long as you know you'll be doing enough business to justify paying the high start up rate (around 260 or 270 per month I believe).
As for the dance/choregrapher teacher - I'm sure we had a poster here at one point who did this. I think they were based in Madrid (although it could have been in Barcelona). I hope they turn up, as they'll be able to give you the plusses and minuses of this type of work, such as yes, private lessons can pay well, but people tend to be unreliable turning up for class so make sure to have a penalty clause. Again, you're far more likely to get this type of work (and you'll need to build it up over time) in the two major cities. And that's your dilemma really. The unemployment rate is double in Andalucia, compared to those two cities. And if you go there for the work, you may feel that you're stuck in an urban environment.
Good luck, and I hope you get more posters who work in those two fields, to give you a realistic analysis of the situation where they live.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Look at Sevilla, pockets of many expat nationalities, in the villages around. The American Womens Club has a great social side for families. the city has lots to do and schools for the children. Lots of property to choose from many rentals my side of town are reduced as are some house prices. Try looking at Sevilla5.com, Casaljarafe Inmobililaria and isbuscando.com

Sorry don't know about work as am a retired Scot :-)

Welcome to BE lots of good info to be found on here.
I think you would be better looking in the Sevilla area too, get away from all the expats and probably get a better paid job!!!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:49 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Also, as a web designer, you may find this link of interest. I'm sure the issues raised apply equally in Spain as in the UK.

http://biznik.com/forums/community-w...-web-designers
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

rumpuss will become famous soon enough

thanks
It depends if you want to be on the coast or inland - we live in Villenueve de Algaidas which is about an hour north of Malaga - the village is very Spanish and there are expats, although more retirees than young families - we bought a house here 8 years ago and retired here last September - the house has been left empty for long periods and we have never had any security problems, to us this is important factor. I would think your little girl is young enough to learn the language naturally playing with others. A coastal area that may be worth a look may be Caleta - which is near Velez Malaga.

Some good advice was not to burn your boats in Scotland, we know of two young families who have been very happy here but with work problems and health issues are having to return to the U.K.

Things to do as a family ? younger people will help you with this one - from seeing local families in this village it would appear to be be very family orientated with picnics, beaches, fishing, walking, eating out, I am sure there are others. There are obviously many more things to do in the coastal areas.

I am sure you will get lots of helpful advice from this forum and good luck with your decision.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:24 pm
Banned

John and Elaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Forry,

If you decide on the Costa Del Sol, be aware there is an excellent train service (twice an hour each way) from Malaga to Fuengirola. Choosing to live near a station on the line means easy travel to Malaga Airport, Malaga City etc.

Also, living near the coast rather than inland, even a few miles, means a more temperate climate. Inland can be very hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.