Reload this Page >

Living in Almeria vs Malaga

Living in Almeria vs Malaga

Old Mar 17th 2021, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

emerald2021 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Almeria vs Malaga

Hello,

I would like to know what it's like living in these Spanish cities. I can't decide between the two. Malaga seems nicer but it's more expensive. Almeria on the other hand appears to be less pretty but cheaper.
I want an affordable and pretty place with nice beaches where I can meet young people 20s and 30s, and there is a lot of things to do, nightlife, etc. I also want it to have an international feel but fewer Brits so I can improve my Spanish.
I clearly can't buy in Malaga, the properties cost about €500- €600 per month on rent.
Can I afford to buy a 1-bed property for €35,000 in Almeria? Is it worth buying? What document's do I need when buying and is it difficult?
Old Mar 18th 2021, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Almeria vs Malaga

The documents you need depend on your status - EU citizen or non EU?
Old Mar 18th 2021, 11:24 am
Just Joined

I'm British and not an EU citizen
Old Mar 18th 2021, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the visa situation two very different cities. Be aware that for 35K you could end up living in a very rough area.

Last edited by Moses2013; Mar 18th 2021 at 12:17 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of useful info here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-b...perty-in-spain
Old Mar 19th 2021, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Theres an apartment for sale above the post office in alhaurin el grande for that money.

But i think the visa is the main issue ?

if you are looking to work, you need a job offer.

If you are not, you need much more than 35k to get a visa..
Old Mar 19th 2021, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. I will be applying for a student visa. I really want to know which one would be a better place to live not just cheap. Of course, if it's cheaper it would be a bonus.
What's it like living in Malaga and Almeria? Does anyone live there now and perhaps can give their thoughts? If Malaga is much better than Almeria I don't mind just renting for now.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

I read that you can apply for the residence permit/visa once you're in Spain but it needs to be applied within 1 month. Is this correct? So I don't have to apply whilst I'm still in the UK?
Old Mar 19th 2021, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emerald2021
I read that you can apply for the residence permit/visa once you're in Spain but it needs to be applied within 1 month. Is this correct? So I don't have to apply whilst I'm still in the UK?

You have to apply for the visa first and then once agreed you come here and then apply for residency.

Two different things.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 8:21 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
You have to apply for the visa first and then once agreed you come here and then apply for residency.

Two different things.
As a matter of interest (to any one with the EU in mind), how long does a student visa last? and can some one on a student visa apply for residency, once in Spain?
The OP doesn't seem to have chosen a Uni yet - does her choice depend on the courses on offer or on where it's "better" to live? In any case, there are plenty of 20s and 30s in any Uni town, so that wouldn't be a factor....
I can understand a Spaniard asking which town is nicer, Birmingham or Brighton for example, but somehow a comparison between the towns of Almeria and Malaga doesn't sound very contrasting. A comparison of the possible courses at their respective Unis might be more far-sighted....
Whatever and wherever, the OP should do thorough research on all aspects of student visas/residency, and consider a flat-share at the beginning, to save paying too high a rent.
HTH
Old Mar 20th 2021, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

I am going to study at language schools so it's not for university. I just want to improve my Spanish! I'm confused between visa and residence permit. I thought visas are required to enter the country, in my case I didn't think it's required as British people can stay in Spain and other EU countries for up to 90 days. So I thought all I need it to apply for a residence permit as a student when I arrive in Spain.

Can someone confirm this is correct?
Old Mar 20th 2021, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

If you only want to stay in Spain for up to 90 days, while studying Spanish at a language school, then no visa is needed. If you want to stay longer, you will need a visa, such as study visa, in which case after entering Spain, you will need to register and obtain residence permit within 90 days. Study visa valid between 90 and 180 days costs £54.40, and valid more than 180 days costs £174.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 4:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think the student visas are for study at universities. Just going to a language school, I doubt would qualify. If you are able to do a short (3 month) course, you just come to Spain with no visa but of course you must go back after 90 days.

Some info on student visas here. https://www.edarabia.com/how-get-student-visa-spain/