Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living on 800 Euro a month in Spain

Living on 800 Euro a month in Spain

Old Jun 15th 2012, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

angie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really nice
Default Re: Living on 800 Euro a month in Spain

JLFS, what planet do you live on? your very rude, and you sound a very bitter person. Whether you want to believe those of us that do live on obviously less than you is immaterial, if you cant reply in a civil manner kindly keep your views to yourself! If anybody is being condescending its you!!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 5:32 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Well you have my admiration for that, because anyone who can pay 500 a month rent and support a child, and eat on 300 a month is working miracles on a daily basis.

it is 10 euros a day, Joder...........
Without wading into what I see as a pretty pointless discussion I'd just like to say that I know people who do just that, but in pounds, maybe another hundred or so extra but pretty much the same.

That said, no, to the OP, I don't think that is enough. Yeah it might be enough to get by but what if something goes wrong or you need something in an emergency or something happens to family back home? I agree with the advice the sensible people have given you, unless you are going to Spain to a SECURE wage that you would be happy to live on in the UK, forget it, there are plenty of places you could go to teach English, hell my brother pays more than that in bloody China!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 6:26 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sun101
Thanks for the replies guys. It doesn't seem to be a great deal of money for him, and I think he will seriously need to think about it. Obviously he would want to fly home to the UK at Christmas, maybe even again at another time of year which would be an additional expense again. Bilbao seems to be the main airport for Navarre, but its quite a while away and doesn't have a great range of low cost flights.
I believe Easyjet operate from Bilbao, so it's convenient in that respect.
As for the job - it depends on whether he has any other options. For instance, if his only alternative is stewarding for nothing at the Olympics, then it may be a good choice. He'll build up skills and experience, and once he's got some experience under his belt he'll be able to go for better paid work within the same sector - for example teaching business English classes in Madrid typically between 20 and 30 Euros a hour. Plus, as RM states, he can also then work around the world, some places paying more than others.
Of course if he has better paid options in the UK then he can choose that - I get the feeling though from your post that he doesn't, but I may be mistaken.
Navarra will be a great experience for him, I'm sure, and Bilbao is only a short flight away (although there is an extra journey as you point out travelling across to Navarra).
It may pay more (after the initial cost of teacher training) to teach in UK schools, but that again depends on vacancies.
Does he show a strong desire to work in Navarra? I'm assuming he's young, so he may not get a better chance to follow his dreams.
Best of luck in whatever he chooses.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:37 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie mccready
We (my husband and myself) live on just under 200 euros a week. We have a small morgage which takes 140 euros a month, obviously we have all utilities to pay for! We run a car, i smoke (a pkt of baccy a week), we also have 8 dogs, 5 chickens, a cat and a duck..........we dont go without anything!.
We have had to adopt the Spanish way of life in order to survive ie, conserving water, electricity, no food is ever wasted, whatever we dont eat, the dogs get it or the chickens. Admitedly we dont have much of a social life, but that doesnt bother us to be honest. Our treat is every week after the shopping is done we have a coffee together with a tapas.
I love my life and wouldnt swop it for the miserable life we existed in back in UK
Sacrifices have to be made but as long as you can improvise in order to make ends meet and your happy, thats whats important to me. xx
Originally Posted by angie mccready
JLFS, what planet do you live on? your very rude, and you sound a very bitter person. Whether you want to believe those of us that do live on obviously less than you is immaterial, if you cant reply in a civil manner kindly keep your views to yourself! If anybody is being condescending its you!!
How does pointing out that living life on the breadline is not living "the Spanish way of life" make me a bitter person? I am far from bitter, but will have my say when "incomers" come out with such a load of tosh. You are a fool.

Not all of us Spanish live the same penny pinching, stay at home, coffee and tapa once a week life style that you do, and to imply that is quite insulting and stupid, it is a dumb and as untrue as me saying "I have adopted the British way of life and binge drink to near unconsiousness every weekend", which implies that all Brits binge drink, which is not true.

Maybe your neigbours live the kind of miserly, frugal, life that you do, but that is not what is happening to all the Spanish people.

Believe it or not, there are millions of us who eat out often, have holidays, and dont throw a hissy fit when we see the electric bill or roll their own ciggies as thin as spaghetti. Those who need to, do so, but we are not all in the same boat.

And you are asking me what planet I live on..................

Also, Who are you to tell me how and when I can post?

Last edited by JLFS; Jun 15th 2012 at 10:41 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

800 a month? young and single? Yes its doable, lots of students in the UK live fine on less than that and have a social life.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 1:30 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
800 a month? young and single? Yes its doable, lots of students in the UK live fine on less than that and have a social life.
......and many of them have generous and understanding parents.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
......and many of them have generous and understanding parents.
Like me who bought a house for them to live in....nice little earner it is too now now I charge students to live in it

€800 a month for a single young chap can be done, no fine dining but for sure he'll be able to live without starving, enjoy himself and experience a new country and culture. Finding a house share/studio apartment is vital, cook simply at home, couple of cold beers in the fridge, wine on the side; I can't see why there is so much negativity in some of the comments here.

He (or she?) is in a far better position than the usual sort of "me and GF wanna live in the sun and i can do anyfin and any job and she got beauty therapy trainin" messages that you see posted here so often. Go and enjoy it for a year I say.

Truth be told I would bet there are couples who post here who after rent live on much the same.

Pixieve seems to do fine sun101 and bfg69bug think it fine too.

Reading this thread bought this to mind

Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Like most things in life. Some people say you can and some say you can't but you will never know until you have had a go yourself. I'm sure that me and my OH could, but then everybody is different, and we all have our priorities and "necessities". What some people cannot do without, others take as a luxury. But you will never know unless you have a go, all you need is an exit if things go pear shaped.
Pete
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
How does pointing out that living life on the breadline is not living "the Spanish way of life" make me a bitter person? I am far from bitter, but will have my say when "incomers" come out with such a load of tosh. You are a fool.
You are right of course

The thing is that many Brits who dont choose to live on the Costas go and live in the "real Spain" which often are very poor parts of the countryside or long lost villages with only old people and immigrants in.

But of course, since they live in the "real Spain" they deduce that Spanish people are very poor and well, a bit backward..

I'd say 90% of Brits actually live in the poorest 20% of Spain so this infuences their opinions

Spain is much more wealthy and dare I say it, cultured where Brits do not venture. Whatever the ratings agencies may say
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Truth be told I would bet there are couples who post here who after rent live on much the same.
Pixieve seems to do fine sun101 and bfg69bug think it fine too.
But some are telling us €800 includes the rent. Of course it's doable, if that's all you've got, you've got no choice. If you only had €500, you'd manage somehow, but it wouldn't be a lot of fun. As JLFS says, to have €300 a month left for food, all other expenditures, is not a lot of money, €10 a day is a pittance, not my idea of living the dream.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:12 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You are right of course

The thing is that many Brits who dont choose to live on the Costas go and live in the "real Spain" which often are very poor parts of the countryside or long lost villages with only old people and immigrants in.

But of course, since they live in the "real Spain" they deduce that Spanish people are very poor and well, a bit backward..

I'd say 90% of Brits actually live in the poorest 20% of Spain so this infuences their opinions

Spain is much more wealthy and dare I say it, cultured where Brits do not venture. Whatever the ratings agencies may say
I would say that 90% of Brits live in the Malaga and Alicante provinces, probably the richest provinces in Spain if you leave out the big cities. And, sadly, this lot will never venture too far away from their comfort zone.

But an unfortunate remark which was construed as implying the Spanish to be poorer than the Brits led to some tension in this discussion. It simply isn't true anyway, but why bother with complicated economic points and just leave it at that.

We're forever comparing the UK with Spain which I suppose is natural considering what it says on the tin. I'm a long-time expat and don't find much of a difference between Spanish and British people, and you don't have to search too hard to find idiots from either side.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:30 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I would say that 90% of Brits live in the Malaga and Alicante provinces, probably the richest provinces in Spain if you leave out the big cities. And, sadly, this lot will never venture too far away from their comfort zone.

But an unfortunate remark which was construed as implying the Spanish to be poorer than the Brits led to some tension in this discussion. It simply isn't true anyway, but why bother with complicated economic points and just leave it at that.

We're forever comparing the UK with Spain which I suppose is natural considering what it says on the tin. I'm a long-time expat and don't find much of a difference between Spanish and British people, and you don't have to search too hard to find idiots from either side.
never been to Alicante, but it is very positive when you drive out of Malaga into Granda - you can almost feel the bump in the road! Coming home from the airport, no one wants ours, the street lights are stupendous even on the motorway, the white lining and cats eyes shine out at you every step of the way, until you enter Granda, no street lights, no white lines (well there may have been in places but covered in tyre marks), potholes even in roads that have had €millions spent on them recently.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:55 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I would say that 90% of Brits live in the Malaga and Alicante provinces, probably the richest provinces in Spain if you leave out the big cities. And, sadly, this lot will never venture too far away from their comfort zone....
I would say thankfully, this lot will never venture too far away from their comfort zone.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I would say thankfully, this lot will never venture too far away from their comfort zone.

Meow lol
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Spot on. That's why a lot of Brits live in local communities. However it should be said that this is no different to Indians/Pakistanis/Polish etc in the UK.
Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.