Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Livery Yards in Asturias

Livery Yards in Asturias

Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Caboodles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Livery Yards in Asturias

Hi there, hope someone has some info for me. We are relocating from the South to the North in January. We have only started looking into areas to live although we will rent initially to get a feel for an area. We are bringing with us one small riding pony and are looking for a really good livery yard to board her with until we decide on a long term solution. Has anyone had any experience with livery yards, are there many? I can't find one single one via google but the spanish name for a "livery yard" might be different. Hope someone can help. Thanks
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Livery Yards in Asturias

oops, meant to mention that we are favouring the Asturias area for a permanent place to live.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caboodles
oops, meant to mention that we are favouring the Asturias area for a permanent place to live.
Asturias is a great place to live. Make sure you can speak Spanish though otherwise you will get very lonely!

I have no idea what a Livery Yard is though I am afraid
Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

we live in rural spain where there are hardly any brits and we get by in spanish with the locals. There are four of us so hardly likely to get lonely. Provided there are no cockneys in asturia I shall be very happy. a livery yard is a place that charges to provide stables (a place where a horse lives) and suitable facilities, i.e. a pista (a place to ride a horse) and hopefully a good teacher (a person who gives lessons). There are other ex pat forums so I will look there instead.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 11:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, hope someone has some info for me. We are relocating from the South to the North in January. We have only started looking into areas to live although we will rent initially to get a feel for an area. We are bringing with us one small riding pony and are looking for a really good livery yard to board her with until we decide on a long term solution. Has anyone had any experience with livery yards, are there many? I can't find one single one via google but the spanish name for a "livery yard" might be different. Hope someone can help. Thanks
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in Asturias but I wondered if you had tried the website of the Asturias section of the Spanish Equine Society I don't know its full title but I know that each region of spain has its own regional office which all riders are meant to get their riding licence and insurance from, also many of the club hipicas are registered to give lessons for the national galope exams. Our local club hipica also does livery but they do not advertise it so I am wondering if your best starting with affiliated club hipicas and then contacting them to see if they do livery. Just a thought!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Ah yes, I asked around for the spanish name for horse yards and hipica and ecuestre are the popular names, which I googled and searched on facebook and have messaged about five or six yards so fingers crossed. Thanks for your advice, great!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

Its the Federacion Hipica de Espanole or the RFHE they do have an asturias section maybe they can help.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

tinker88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pupilaje de caballos means "horse boarding" which lots of stables refer livery as.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, I asked around for the spanish name for horse yards and hipica and ecuestre are the popular names, which I googled and searched on facebook and have messaged about five or six yards so fingers crossed. Thanks for your advice, great!
There is a very famous hipica in Gijon, but like many clubs in Asturias, you need to get your membership approved by current members - and it you dont know any current members then this is unlikely.

My advice would be to look on Spanish sites, there are hardly any British people living up here, and those that do speak fluent Spanish. Otherwise they would have nobody to talk to!
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Hey thanks for the advice. I have been in touch with a few british horse owners and we've found a lovely yard near Oviedo. We didn't need any "approval". We have had a lot of negative feedback about moving to Asturias on these expat forums so have decided to take our names off today. We have found that the Spanish and some of the British people we have met have been much more forthcoming and positive.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey thanks for the advice. I have been in touch with a few british horse owners and we've found a lovely yard near Oviedo. We didn't need any "approval". We have had a lot of negative feedback about moving to Asturias on these expat forums so have decided to take our names off today. We have found that the Spanish and some of the British people we have met have been much more forthcoming and positive.
Asturias is amazing

As long as you speak good Spanish

Not getting positive feedback is a funny reason to stop using them
Old Oct 10th 2012, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Mike.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Horse riding is fairly common / popular here.

If you've found somewhere, then well done. Generally 'Livery' is fairly basic here. If it doesn't work out and you're not living in a town, there's always a really good chance that your neighbours will point you towards someone .... although they might think you a bit mad if you live in the country and aren't going to look after your horse yourself.

Asturias even has it's own ancient breed of pony .... the Asturcon.

Regards,

Mike
Old Oct 18th 2012, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Llesiant is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry too much about the language, Asturianos are generally lovely people and language wasn't a barrier for us when we moved here. The only lonely people seem to be the ones who spend all day and night on these forums! I will message you my private email address, a few of us meet in Oviedo for coffee once a month but relax and dont worry about language issues.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike.M
Horse riding is fairly common / popular here.

If you've found somewhere, then well done. Generally 'Livery' is fairly basic here. If it doesn't work out and you're not living in a town, there's always a really good chance that your neighbours will point you towards someone .... although they might think you a bit mad if you live in the country and aren't going to look after your horse yourself.

Asturias even has it's own ancient breed of pony .... the Asturcon.

Regards,

Mike
Originally Posted by Llesiant
Don't worry too much about the language, Asturianos are generally lovely people and language wasn't a barrier for us when we moved here. The only lonely people seem to be the ones who spend all day and night on these forums! I will message you my private email address, a few of us meet in Oviedo for coffee once a month but relax and dont worry about language issues.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.