Reload this Page >

Life in the sunshine - Spanish dream

Life in the sunshine - Spanish dream

Old Jul 19th 2018, 11:04 am
Just Joined

beata is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life in the sunshine - Spanish dream

Hi All,
As probably many of you here, me and my family decided to move away from United Kingdom- the country that we do not recognise anymore and don't see as the best place for our kids to grow up in anymore...

Hence I am after some advise. I decided to go first and make a start in Spain and for my partner to follow me in a couple of months. Plan is to stop somewhere down the coast, hopefully pick up a seasonal job and take it from there.... long story short i have a few question i was hoping to get some help with:

1. NIE number do i need it before i start work in Spain? or can i get employed without and apply after?
2. any websites where i could find people willing to get somebody into their spare room? i am looking at a month long rental
3. tourist locations - do they really go all quiet from October with no chances of finding a job?
4. any advice on the best locations to start with?

thank you in advance for any help!
Old Jul 19th 2018, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in the sunshine - Spanish dream

Originally Posted by beata
Hi All,
As probably many of you here, me and my family decided to move away from United Kingdom- the country that we do not recognise anymore and don't see as the best place for our kids to grow up in anymore...

Hence I am after some advise. I decided to go first and make a start in Spain and for my partner to follow me in a couple of months. Plan is to stop somewhere down the coast, hopefully pick up a seasonal job and take it from there.... long story short i have a few question i was hoping to get some help with:

1. NIE number do i need it before i start work in Spain? or can i get employed without and apply after?
2. any websites where i could find people willing to get somebody into their spare room? i am looking at a month long rental
3. tourist locations - do they really go all quiet from October with no chances of finding a job?
4. any advice on the best locations to start with?

thank you in advance for any help!
If highly educated Spanish people leave the sun to move up further North, maybe there is more to consider? You should first ask yourself what you can offer Spain (skills, education etc.). For most working people, the best location is anywhere they can find employment that actually pays. Even if you have a seasonal job, how much money do you think you'll be paid?
Old Jul 19th 2018, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

beata is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If highly educated Spanish people leave the sun to move up further North, maybe there is more to consider? You should first ask yourself what you can offer Spain (skills, education etc.). For most working people, the best location is anywhere they can find employment that actually pays. Even if you have a seasonal job, how much money do you think you'll be paid?
I do consider myself an educated person (Masters degree in my pocket) but when coming to a new country I am aware that starting from the bottom might have to be the best option, hence my question about the tourist locations out of the season being a dead cities?
Once I get to know the country a bit better I should be able to move up the ladder and maybe even set up a new business again. I haven't got a bad life in UK, being able to support myself and owning a property but this move is more about future of my child. I don't want her to be growing up in a country where you have to look over your shoulder while walking down the street. it is not right!
Old Jul 19th 2018, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

I don't want her to be growing up in a country where you have to look over your shoulder while walking down the street. it is not right!
Do you think Spain would be safer?
Old Jul 19th 2018, 1:34 pm
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

There is 20% unemployed in Spain and 40% youth unemployed in Spain. I presume you are aware of this Re: Life in the sunshine - Spanish dream

Are you fluent in Spanish? What is ''Masters degree in my pocket''?
Old Jul 19th 2018, 1:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want her to be growing up in a country where you have to look over your shoulder while walking down the street. it is not right!
Where on earth do you live if you have to do that? How about just moving to a nicer or more rural part of the UK? I don't even lock my doors where I live!
Old Jul 19th 2018, 1:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johncarzx
There is 20% unemployed in Spain and 40% youth unemployed in Spain. I presume you are aware of this Re: Life in the sunshine - Spanish dream

Are you fluent in Spanish? What is ''Masters degree in my pocket''?
I would like to add to your comment on the number of unemployed the fact that many of them are highly qualified with many having masters degrees. They of course are fluent in Spanish and many also have second and third languages, usually in English, French and German. Spanish people value qualifications.

Rosemary
Old Jul 19th 2018, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I do consider myself an educated person (Masters degree in my pocket) but when coming to a new country I am aware that starting from the bottom might have to be the best option, hence my question about the tourist locations out of the season being a dead cities?
Once I get to know the country a bit better I should be able to move up the ladder and maybe even set up a new business again. I haven't got a bad life in UK, being able to support myself and owning a property but this move is more about future of my child. I don't want her to be growing up in a country where you have to look over your shoulder while walking down the street. it is not right!
It's not only language (maybe you are fluent), but what might be starting from the bottom for you, is not the bottom for many other people. Be it hotels/bars, even these seasonal jobs require certain skills and there's not a job for everyone. Sure you can maybe give away flyers to tourists, but how will that feed a family? Since I don't live and work in Spain permanently (only have 2nd home), what do I know anyway. I'm also sure that many people in the UK don't have to look over their shoulder while walking down a street. Last time I was driving through Wales back to Ireland, the only worry I had was that a sheep might cross the road :-).
Old Jul 19th 2018, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

My Spanish lady friend's daughter has masters and a doctorate, speaks several languages (fluently, her English is better than mine!) and she is currently employed (short-term contract) working for a holiday company meeting and greeting holidaymakers.

People planning to move here who need to work (and you will, no benefits) have to be realistic employment here is still very difficult if not impossible for non-Spanish speaking foreigners.

Sorry but that is the truth.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spainrico
My Spanish lady friend's daughter has masters and a doctorate, speaks several languages (fluently, her English is better than mine!) and she is currently employed (short-term contract) working for a holiday company meeting and greeting holidaymakers.

People planning to move here who need to work (and you will, no benefits) have to be realistic employment here is still very difficult if not impossible for non-Spanish speaking foreigners.

Languages are definitely a big benefit. Of course having a degree is good, but what I see these days is that everyone seems to have a degree and automatically thinks they are qualified. Even meeting and greeting holidaymakers is not for everyone and many would fail, or let's say just don't have the skills.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 2:47 pm
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico

I completely agree. It may not be what the OP wants to hear but better to have the truth and the facts before it all ends in tears or worse. These type of pipe dreams have caused families to break up.In many cases it is know all idiots encouraging them to take risks that they are not prepared to take themselves.

Last edited by Johncarzx; Jul 19th 2018 at 3:06 pm. Reason: Please do not put your comments in bold
Old Jul 19th 2018, 3:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

.... but what future, unless you have a work contract with a salary adequate to pay the rent and bring up your child decently, and which ensures healthcare cover. How is your partner intending to earn a living? Btw, you should check the "partner status" in Spain, since a lot of French Bureaucracy isn't "partner-friendly" for couples not legally bound, and this may apply in Spain, too.
How old is your child? Primary-school age children can adapt to the Spanish Education System and pick up the language quickly, but the general consensus (at least on the France forum) is that a child of 10-11 or over would find it extremely difficult to be thrown in at the deep end in a State Secondary School unless they already speak Spanish well. It's recommended for these older children to go to an International School, but this can't be an option if you haven't got a sufficiently high income.
Hope this helps when making your decision....
Old Jul 19th 2018, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,I can't help you with Spain,have zilch experience apart from holidaying there.I'm thinking.....is it possible to buy a B&B in Spain for yourself to run?I've no idea if you'd like to do this,or whether its feasible for you,but it would solve the job situation for you.
I lived in Australia for a very long time,but brought my aussie kids to the UK after a marriage split.That was 20 yrs ago.My kids have excelled here!One is a Lawyer,the other a Nurse.We live in a market town,and tbh,I feel safer here than I did in Australia.Not sure which part of the UK you are from.Possibility of a move within the UK?
Old Jul 19th 2018, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I would add that if this is really about quality of life for your child, it's the Northern European countries that will offer her the best education, 'happiest childhoods' (according to various surveys), and best post-grad job opportunities later. No, we don't get the constant sunshine, but when children are involved, dreams (and careers!) have got to constructed within the confines of reality and not what we see on 'place in the sun' type shows.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

B&B is not typically a viable business. People now rent a place from AirBnB and the likes and arrange their own breakfast (amazingly cheap to have it out here anyway)

B&B is dying or having the last rites being read. And yes I do understand many areas are trying to limit the availability of AirBnB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.