Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Life in a Spanish Hospital

Life in a Spanish Hospital

Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:54 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life in a Spanish Hospital

I had a strange summer, feeling fine but very listless, eventually Rosemary persuaded me to go to the doctors, a blood test later and I was rushed into hospital on the 23rd Nov for tests. Literally rushed, the doctor banging on our door at eight in the morning. I spent so much time in the MRI scanner department the staff are now on my Christmas card list add to that the ultrasound department, the xray department and of course endoscopy and you may have some idea.16 days later I was told that I had a large tumour on the pancreas and that I had no option but to have part of it removed along with other various bits and pieces. The surgeon then went on to say that it was going to be a very dangerous operation but both he and I had no option but to go ahead with it also I needed to go home and sort out my affairs. It was a strange four days sorting out wills with a solicitor, reorganising bank accounts, finding a funeral director and generally coming to terms with it all. Accepting mortality is not an enjoyable experience.

At this point I would like to publicly state what an incredible help SueG was, organising the will was causing a problem but she smoothed the process enormously.

We returned to the hospital for the operation, I could not say goodbye to Rosemary, it felt so wrong so defeatist so we just held hands. Poor Rosemary, the operation was due to last five hours but on it went for eight hours and then only for her to be told that the next ten days in intensive care were crucial and the dangers were heart attacks, strokes and infections. I came round later that evening to see Rosemary and some neighbours anxiously watching me, they had sat with her all through the operation and waited until I had come round.

The next day the surgeon came to see and asked me if I wanted to see the photos of the operation, I politely declined. From then on everything went well, the surgeon told us that he did not think it was was cancer but a badly distorted and non functioning pancreas and he had had to remove all of it. Three weeks later the report came through from the laboratory it was definitely not cancer. A few more tears. 26th Jan I left the hospital at last.

What I am left with now is type one diabetes which, apart from the needles three times a day and never eating bacon again is not too bad.

Last Tuesday I returned to the hospital to see the surgeon, he told me that everything is looking good and I do not need to see him again for two months. He also insisted that I see all of the photographs they took of the operation, believe me I do not look good inside.

That is my story hopefully it will end well, I cannot do anything for three months but all things considered everything could have ended much worse.

The good things about the hospital;
The speed and efficiency of the staff.
Excellent doctor and nursing service.
The friendliness of everyone, (apart from a couple of porters).

The downside.
Being sent home with no knowledge of how to cope with diabetes. My own doctor was furious about it.
The nursing staff, change dressings, hand out drugs, emergencies, check blood pressure, they are not there to look after any other of the patients needs. That is done by your assistant who is expected to be there 24hours a day.

Graham.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in a Spanish Hospital

Wishing you both the best of luck, Graham. Thanks for posting - a reality check indeed!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:06 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you make a speedy recovery chick - take care and big hugs to you all xxxxx
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:09 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

to your continued good health.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your post, our experience of Spanish healthcare is 1st class, so good to hear of your experience.

Wish you a speedy recovery, take care xx
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:45 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Graham, and a real eye opener for us all, take it easy and have a speedy recovery.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:01 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear you've made a start on your recovery. A great post. Reminds us what is really important in life (the health of ourselves and our loved ones). Best wishes in your continued recovery!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, which hospital were you admitted to?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hospital la Ribera in Alzira.

Rosemary
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

I'm so glad that while your health isn't now great you will be able to control your blood sugar and carry on with the rest of your life.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:43 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing you a speedy recovery Graham. All the very best JJ
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

All the best Mate
P.S: That sucks about the bacon denial..

DSB.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

wow - makes you think, doesn't it?

best of luck & health for the future to you both
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:29 am
Just Joined

cissy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear what happen Graham ,but as one who lives with diabetes too.
I mean the shots I have taken them for 5 years now .
It will get better with time have the doctor teach you how to do carb exchange, you will be surprize at what you can eat .
I don't understand why you can't eat bacon there is no carbs in bacon,and carb are what you to watch they go to sugar and that what you want limit.
They told me meat and veg is what you need eat lots of.
here is my email address if I can be any help

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 9th 2010 at 6:42 am. Reason: I have edited out your email address as it is inadvisable to put it on an open forum. Graham can email you through the site
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, what a nightmare time for you both.......wishing you all the best, take care

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I had a strange summer, feeling fine but very listless, eventually Rosemary persuaded me to go to the doctors, a blood test later and I was rushed into hospital on the 23rd Nov for tests. Literally rushed, the doctor banging on our door at eight in the morning. I spent so much time in the MRI scanner department the staff are now on my Christmas card list add to that the ultrasound department, the xray department and of course endoscopy and you may have some idea.16 days later I was told that I had a large tumour on the pancreas and that I had no option but to have part of it removed along with other various bits and pieces. The surgeon then went on to say that it was going to be a very dangerous operation but both he and I had no option but to go ahead with it also I needed to go home and sort out my affairs. It was a strange four days sorting out wills with a solicitor, reorganising bank accounts, finding a funeral director and generally coming to terms with it all. Accepting mortality is not an enjoyable experience.

At this point I would like to publicly state what an incredible help SueG was, organising the will was causing a problem but she smoothed the process enormously.

We returned to the hospital for the operation, I could not say goodbye to Rosemary, it felt so wrong so defeatist so we just held hands. Poor Rosemary, the operation was due to last five hours but on it went for eight hours and then only for her to be told that the next ten days in intensive care were crucial and the dangers were heart attacks, strokes and infections. I came round later that evening to see Rosemary and some neighbours anxiously watching me, they had sat with her all through the operation and waited until I had come round.

The next day the surgeon came to see and asked me if I wanted to see the photos of the operation, I politely declined. From then on everything went well, the surgeon told us that he did not think it was was cancer but a badly distorted and non functioning pancreas and he had had to remove all of it. Three weeks later the report came through from the laboratory it was definitely not cancer. A few more tears. 26th Jan I left the hospital at last.

What I am left with now is type one diabetes which, apart from the needles three times a day and never eating bacon again is not too bad.

Last Tuesday I returned to the hospital to see the surgeon, he told me that everything is looking good and I do not need to see him again for two months. He also insisted that I see all of the photographs they took of the operation, believe me I do not look good inside.

That is my story hopefully it will end well, I cannot do anything for three months but all things considered everything could have ended much worse.

The good things about the hospital;
The speed and efficiency of the staff.
Excellent doctor and nursing service.
The friendliness of everyone, (apart from a couple of porters).

The downside.
Being sent home with no knowledge of how to cope with diabetes. My own doctor was furious about it.
The nursing staff, change dressings, hand out drugs, emergencies, check blood pressure, they are not there to look after any other of the patients needs. That is done by your assistant who is expected to be there 24hours a day.

Graham.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.