life in Spain

Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:23 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 57
angiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the rough
Default life in Spain

What is life like in Spain is it easy going friendly ect
angiemarie is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:45 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,514
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by angiemarie View Post
What is life like in Spain is it easy going friendly ect
Yes it is, it is so laid back that you feel that you are always half asleep, no need to fully wake up. Tranquil, stressfree and restful.

That is if you are not waiting and waiting for builders and the such like and not DIYing yourself crazy - but then you look ahead and realise that you will experience the tranquility etc when all of the work is done.

In the meantime we ensure that we work for about half a day and then do whatever we like. The people are lovely, friendly and very helpful, not had any problems with anyone at all even though our Spanish is extremely limited.
Fiestas, fireworks, sun, friendly people, fresh air and a lovely warm internal glow is what we enjoy the most about living in Spain.

When the house is complete we know that we will relax totally and enjoy Spain properly.
Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:30 pm
  #3  
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle
 
MnM's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Getting In Touch With My Dysfunctional Side...
Posts: 1,926
MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by Graham Hydes View Post
Yes it is, it is so laid back that you feel that you are always half asleep, no need to fully wake up. Tranquil, stressfree and restful.

That is if you are not waiting and waiting for builders and the such like and not DIYing yourself crazy - but then you look ahead and realise that you will experience the tranquility etc when all of the work is done.

In the meantime we ensure that we work for about half a day and then do whatever we like. The people are lovely, friendly and very helpful, not had any problems with anyone at all even though our Spanish is extremely limited.
Fiestas, fireworks, sun, friendly people, fresh air and a lovely warm internal glow is what we enjoy the most about living in Spain.

When the house is complete we know that we will relax totally and enjoy Spain properly.
Rosemary
Hi Rosemary,

Reading between the lines of your post I'm taking a wild guess that you don't work here

My husband and I do and I can honestly say that life here is far from stress free. As a matter of fact, I'd say it is very stressful when dealing with banks, solicitors, town halls, architects, builders, clients, estate agents, etc. on a daily basis. Not to mention the laws that change so fast that by the time you've got your head around one law, it's changed again. The very long working hours (mornings, afternoons, Saturdays and alot of times on Sundays too) don't help either. And let's not mention the people who supposedly want to help and give recommendations, filling their pockets with commissions!

The sun is brilliant, yes....but try working and running around in June, July and August when you sweat so much your clothes stick to you like a second skin. Now if you're lucky enough to have access to a pool for the weekend, that's great, but if you don't then the beaches are so crowded full of tourists we usually don't bother. Last year I think we got to the beach a total of about 4 times. The previous year was even less than that.

I really feel like this has been one great moan. I didn't mean it to be, just wanted to give an idea of what it's like to be working in sunny Spain. Don't get me wrong, I think the country is beautiful, but if you're working for your money here you can almost certainly forget a 9 to 5 job and you can be sure you will have to work bloody hard for it.

I apologize again for my little rant

Martha

Last edited by MnM; Mar 8th 2007 at 7:34 pm. Reason: keep forgetting to add my name *blond moments*
MnM is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:23 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
spain's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Kent - Gandia - Kent
Posts: 1,998
spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by MnM View Post
Hi Rosemary,

Reading between the lines of your post I'm taking a wild guess that you don't work here

My husband and I do and I can honestly say that life here is far from stress free. As a matter of fact, I'd say it is very stressful when dealing with banks, solicitors, town halls, architects, builders, clients, estate agents, etc. on a daily basis. Not to mention the laws that change so fast that by the time you've got your head around one law, it's changed again. The very long working hours (mornings, afternoons, Saturdays and alot of times on Sundays too) don't help either. And let's not mention the people who supposedly want to help and give recommendations, filling their pockets with commissions!

The sun is brilliant, yes....but try working and running around in June, July and August when you sweat so much your clothes stick to you like a second skin. Now if you're lucky enough to have access to a pool for the weekend, that's great, but if you don't then the beaches are so crowded full of tourists we usually don't bother. Last year I think we got to the beach a total of about 4 times. The previous year was even less than that.

I really feel like this has been one great moan. I didn't mean it to be, just wanted to give an idea of what it's like to be working in sunny Spain. Don't get me wrong, I think the country is beautiful, but if you're working for your money here you can almost certainly forget a 9 to 5 job and you can be sure you will have to work bloody hard for it.

I apologize again for my little rant

Martha
Couldnt agree more Martha - very stressful and frustrating at times - something that we didnt fully appreciate it would be before we came over - but we are hanging in there and on the whole have no regrets about our move to Spain (been here 4 years now)

Its very general to ask "what is life like in Spain" - it depends on your individual circumstances - personally our lives fly by and not because we are sitting on the beach drinking sangria (if only ) but because we are a young busy working family

spain is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:47 pm
  #5  
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle
 
MnM's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Getting In Touch With My Dysfunctional Side...
Posts: 1,926
MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by spain View Post
Couldnt agree more Martha - very stressful and frustrating at times - something that we didnt fully appreciate it would be before we came over - but we are hanging in there and on the whole have no regrets about our move to Spain (been here 4 years now)

Its very general to ask "what is life like in Spain" - it depends on your individual circumstances - personally our lives fly by and not because we are sitting on the beach drinking sangria (if only ) but because we are a young busy working family

Hi

I am soooooooooooooo glad that you posted as well. I thought I was going to get a telling off

People need to hear about those who work here and that it's not all one big holiday. I strongly urge people that want to make the move to try secure employment (or at least look into it) before plunging into a purchase of a property......but sometimes I feel like my pleas are falling on deaf ears...

In any case, I wish you all the best and keep the faith!

P.S. Have you had a holiday since you've been here? We've been here 3 years and still no holiday or time off.
MnM is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:52 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 57
angiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: life in Spain

Well basically its me and my elderly parents that are thinking about it they are in the 60s and 70s i am i my 30 its some where 4 my mum and dad to retire and some were for me to start a life but trying to find out what i can.
Because its a big move and for my parents exciting but scary because you do here horror storys but also good ones.
angiemarie is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:12 pm
  #7  
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle
 
MnM's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Getting In Touch With My Dysfunctional Side...
Posts: 1,926
MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by angiemarie View Post
Well basically its me and my elderly parents that are thinking about it they are in the 60s and 70s i am i my 30 its some where 4 my mum and dad to retire and some were for me to start a life but trying to find out what i can.
Because its a big move and for my parents exciting but scary because you do here horror storys but also good ones.
Hi angiemarie,

All I can say is come over, rent for a while. See how all three of you like it. Look into healthcare and of course a job for you, if that is what you're thinking of doing, but don't break ties with the UK until you are sure Spain is the place for you.

Best of luck
MnM is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:19 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 57
angiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the roughangiemarie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by MnM View Post
Hi angiemarie,

All I can say is come over, rent for a while. See how all three of you like it. Look into healthcare and of course a job for you, if that is what you're thinking of doing, but don't break ties with the UK until you are sure Spain is the place for you.

Best of luck
MANY THANKS FOR THE ADVISE
angiemarie is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:39 pm
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoping to get away from UK to Spain
Posts: 1,826
Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by MnM View Post
Hi Rosemary,

Reading between the lines of your post I'm taking a wild guess that you don't work here

My husband and I do and I can honestly say that life here is far from stress free. As a matter of fact, I'd say it is very stressful when dealing with banks, solicitors, town halls, architects, builders, clients, estate agents, etc. on a daily basis. Not to mention the laws that change so fast that by the time you've got your head around one law, it's changed again. The very long working hours (mornings, afternoons, Saturdays and alot of times on Sundays too) don't help either. And let's not mention the people who supposedly want to help and give recommendations, filling their pockets with commissions!

The sun is brilliant, yes....but try working and running around in June, July and August when you sweat so much your clothes stick to you like a second skin. Now if you're lucky enough to have access to a pool for the weekend, that's great, but if you don't then the beaches are so crowded full of tourists we usually don't bother. Last year I think we got to the beach a total of about 4 times. The previous year was even less than that.

I really feel like this has been one great moan. I didn't mean it to be, just wanted to give an idea of what it's like to be working in sunny Spain. Don't get me wrong, I think the country is beautiful, but if you're working for your money here you can almost certainly forget a 9 to 5 job and you can be sure you will have to work bloody hard for it.

I apologize again for my little rant

Martha
wow Martha

Sounds like a crap life to me ! You should of stayed in England worked them hours and moved over when your rich

Thats no life at all , think you need to revamp your life a little before you end up with a stroke ..

Just my views

Last edited by Big Pete; Mar 8th 2007 at 10:39 pm. Reason: typo
Big Pete is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:42 pm
  #10  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoping to get away from UK to Spain
Posts: 1,826
Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by angiemarie View Post
MANY THANKS FOR THE ADVISE
angiemarie mmmmmm what a lovely name , anyways back to the message ..

angiemarie you will like Spain but tell me are your parents rich ? if they are tell them to pay the extra and get to majorca maybe ?

Its safer and not so crowded ..
Big Pete is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:44 pm
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoping to get away from UK to Spain
Posts: 1,826
Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by Graham Hydes View Post
Yes it is, it is so laid back that you feel that you are always half asleep, no need to fully wake up. Tranquil, stressfree and restful.

That is if you are not waiting and waiting for builders and the such like and not DIYing yourself crazy - but then you look ahead and realise that you will experience the tranquility etc when all of the work is done.

In the meantime we ensure that we work for about half a day and then do whatever we like. The people are lovely, friendly and very helpful, not had any problems with anyone at all even though our Spanish is extremely limited.
Fiestas, fireworks, sun, friendly people, fresh air and a lovely warm internal glow is what we enjoy the most about living in Spain.

When the house is complete we know that we will relax totally and enjoy Spain properly.
Rosemary


Now they have it sussed angiemarie , thats what it should be like

well done Rosemary
Big Pete is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:46 pm
  #12  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by angiemarie View Post
What is life like in Spain is it easy going friendly ect
The same as wherever you live.
What you make it.
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2007, 6:40 am
  #13  
Run dont walk
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 17
Tich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by angiemarie View Post
What is life like in Spain is it easy going friendly ect
Same Sh*t just a shinier bucket (carried by donkeys though)
Tich is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2007, 6:51 am
  #14  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 25,653
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by angiemarie View Post
Well basically its me and my elderly parents that are thinking about it they are in the 60s and 70s i am i my 30 its some where 4 my mum and dad to retire and some were for me to start a life but trying to find out what i can.
Because its a big move and for my parents exciting but scary because you do here horror storys but also good ones.
Great life for the retired, time just seems to fly by, but you do need some hobby/interests to keep the mind active, Weather in the South is great, and good for arthritis sufferers. We retired here almost 18 months ago and just love it. There is work, but you do need a knowledge of Spanish.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:28 am
  #15  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,514
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in Spain

Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
Now they have it sussed angiemarie , thats what it should be like

well done Rosemary
In the UK I worked with sexually abused children, physically abused children, druggies, alcoholics, neglectful parents and disaffected teenagers so a very stressful job - my choice.

We retired slightly early because my husbands work was moved to India - no choice.

He took early retirement - his choice.

I took early retirement from the stressful job but really did not want to but did not mind finding out what it would be like with less stress in my life.

We moved to Spain - our choice.

So far it appears that it was the correct choice.

We all make choices and either are glad that we made those choices or regret it, however nothing is set in stone so those who regret the choices they made need to have a rethink and evaluate their situation and make changes. As they say 'you are a long time dead'

Our resources are very low so ordinary house, no pool etc but it is what you make of the life that is important.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.