Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Licence to rent out property

Licence to rent out property

Old Jul 3rd 2018, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Licence to rent out property

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Ours was issued by the Valencian Government in Valencia even though we live an hour away.

I don't think the town hall issue them (but could be wrong) - did ours online.
Thanks for that. I'm still bemused by the fact that there is no online system for checking licenced premises. Surely all approved applications are entered onto a database? Why then is this not readily accessible?
Having lived here a number of years, as soon as I was told I would have to fill in a form to be forwarded to Alicante, my eyes glazed over and I knew I was on a hopeless mission!
Incidentally I also asked, if as in the last couple of years we have had to contact the police because of night time rowdiness, if there came a need to repeat this would the police be able to check. "No" was the response.
Wall, against, head, brick, banging sprang to mind but not necessarily in that order!
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

thenakedsailor is an unknown quantity at this point

I can give you an update on requirements from the experience of registering 10 properties.
As of July 18th all properties that are to be registered for tourists have to have proof from the Ayumiento that they are correctly designated as tourist accommodation.
Armed with this document you can then apply to the Valencian Tourist Board for a Tourist licence which can be for a standard, principle or superior classification. (Offices are located in Alicante, Castellon and Valencia)
This link provides some details re classification requirements. vacaciones-espana.es/rentalbuzz/registrar-viviendas-turisticas-en-la-comunidad-valenciana-1
When the licence is issued, can be from same day through to about 6 weeks, there is a need to display your registration outside the property, there are definitions available to what format this should take and the colours to be used.
The fines for non compliance can be as much as 600,000 Euros.
The regulations have come about because too many people were letting properties in residential apartment blocks to Tourists much to the annoyance of the other residents. There is little evidence to date about the policing of the regulations but I would suspect that when the application process is fully bedded in then the policing will start. Also I would expect the denucia system to start being used against unregistered holiday properties.
Hope that this helps.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for that very comprehensive response, Is vacaciones-espana.es/rentalbuzz/registrar-viviendas-turisticas-en-la-comunidad-valenciana-1 a website?
Thanks again.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 3:52 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thenakedsailor
As of July 18th all properties that are to be registered for tourists have to have proof from the Ayumiento that they are correctly designated as tourist accommodation.
Armed with this document you can then apply to the Valencian Tourist Board for a Tourist licence which can be for a standard, principle or superior classification. (Offices are located in Alicante, Castellon and Valencia).

I did mine online and didn't talk to the town hall. If it's done online, how do they check this document? (I have my VT number)

Where do you find how the notice should look? Also, if it's just for a room in the property, does one still need to be displayed?
Old Jul 4th 2018, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

thenakedsailor is an unknown quantity at this point

I did mine online and didn't talk to the town hall. If it's done online, how do they check this document? (I have my VT number)

Where do you find how the notice should look? Also, if it's just for a room in the property, does one still need to be displayed?
If you already have your VT number you just need to check if the Ayumiento is happy for tourists to use the property, I was fortunate in that mine are in a Tourist Zone and are specifically for tourist use, according to the deeds it is illegal to live full time in one of them. Remember the process is in the process of changing and the methodology may well change over the next few months until they have worked out the easiest process for them and probably the most difficult for us.
The design of the signage is well prescribed in the attached documents.
Have fun.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VIVIENDA TURISTICA mod 1.pdf (16.8 KB, 42 views)
Old Jul 4th 2018, 7:21 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thenakedsailor
If you already have your VT number you just need to check if the Ayumiento is happy for tourists to use the property, I was fortunate in that mine are in a Tourist Zone and are specifically for tourist use, according to the deeds it is illegal to live full time in one of them. Remember the process is in the process of changing and the methodology may well change over the next few months until they have worked out the easiest process for them and probably the most difficult for us.
The design of the signage is well prescribed in the attached documents.
Have fun.
That's real;ly great - thanks.

However, I don't really want a plaque outside my home when I only rent part of it (maybe just one room) - is it a case of all or nothing?
Old Jul 5th 2018, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

That's real;ly great - thanks.

However, I don't really want a plaque outside my home when I only rent part of it (maybe just one room) - is it a case of all or nothing?
Technically you can't use a tourist license with a house you live in... and you can't have a tourist license on only part of the house.
I have been having this exact same conversation with the architect at the local town hall.
This was his reply >

A Tourism house you can't live in, I mean, you can not get a Tourism licence if you live in the house and share it with the guests.

Which is quite odd, because that's how Airbnb works...but that’ what the law says!

Let me investigate more, but next week, as this one I have no time.

Kind regards

Once I have a reply, I will post it.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 6:10 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Smithy73
Technically you can't use a tourist license with a house you live in... and you can't have a tourist license on only part of the house.
I have been having this exact same conversation with the architect at the local town hall.
This was his reply >

A Tourism house you can't live in, I mean, you can not get a Tourism licence if you live in the house and share it with the guests.

Which is quite odd, because that's how Airbnb works...but that’ what the law says!

Let me investigate more, but next week, as this one I have no time.

Kind regards

Once I have a reply, I will post it.
I don't think this is correct as the application for the licence asks something like "whole house, flat or part of property". Clearly I chose "part of property".

And this is what the law states - even if you just rent out one room in your property, you will need a tourist licence.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is correct as the application for the licence asks something like "whole house, flat or part of property". Clearly I chose "part of property".

And this is what the law states - even if you just rent out one room in your property, you will need a tourist licence.
I think you may have misunderstood the application form. I spoke to the architect at the town hall this afternoon and he sent me the copy of my last application for the last property.

The property types are - Chalet or similar (ie Villa), Located in a building (ie Apartment/flat) and Townhouse or Similar (townhouse or village house)

He categorically stated that it is forbidden to let a room in a standard residential house to tourists, that for the purpose of the standard tourist license in Valencia the whole property (relating to that catastral reference number) must be rented and the owner can not be living there.

If your underbuild apartment has a separate address, catastral reference to the house - then that is fine.
I viewed a village house in Oliva which had been converted into two separate properties with the paperwork and separate addresses to back it up - so it can be done

Last edited by Smithy73; Jul 6th 2018 at 11:11 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

We were told by the town hall you no longer have to display the plaque outside the property just inside, outside used to be the case but as long as guests can see it then the criteria is met, often the way in Spain, different rules in different places
Old Jul 11th 2018, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a set procedure to report unlicensed holiday lets?

Last edited by VEDShappy; Jul 11th 2018 at 6:56 pm. Reason: Bl##dy autocorrect
Old Jul 15th 2018, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
Is there a set procedure to report unlicensed holiday lets?
That's what I'd like to know but got nowhere. Town Hall not really interested, just said submit report to Alicante and at some time Inspectors may get around to it. Also, asked if police would take action and the answer was no!