Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

LHD car in Spain... RHD part-exchange?

LHD car in Spain... RHD part-exchange?

Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LHD car in Spain... RHD part-exchange?

Originally Posted by Jondad
Anyone ever thought that as so many reportedly heading back to UK permanently a straight swap could be beneficial for both parties. Car left on each side of ferry route. One member from each group gives decision on exchange therebye cutting out the dealer who are taking there share of trade.

Jondad
As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joddle
Wonderfull idea - why not set up a thread for this?
It can't be done I'm afraid as any form of advertising is not allowed on the forum.

You can use the classified section for for sale or wanted etc.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

golfy is a jewel in the roughgolfy is a jewel in the roughgolfy is a jewel in the roughgolfy is a jewel in the roughgolfy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Oddities:
Much lower numbers of Brits in the Valencia area

Not sure where you get your info from but I think as Concierges for the Spanish section of BE you should check the info you write as most places I have been to in Valencia has been full of Brits ie. Alicante, Benidorm, Etc: Etc:

A bit of info for you:

58% of all the British resident in Spain live in either Andalucia or the Autonomous region of Valencia.

However the British are also significant as a proportion of foreign residents (EU) in Almeria (58% of total), Granada (53% of the total) Murcia (47% of total), and Cádiz (45% of total),
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by golfy
Originally Posted by The Oddities:
Much lower numbers of Brits in the Valencia area

Not sure where you get your info from but I think as Concierges for the Spanish section of BE you should check the info you write as most places I have been to in Valencia has been full of Brits ie. Alicante, Benidorm, Etc: Etc:

A bit of info for you:

58% of all the British resident in Spain live in either Andalucia or the Autonomous region of Valencia.

However the British are also significant as a proportion of foreign residents (EU) in Almeria (58% of total), Granada (53% of the total) Murcia (47% of total), and Cádiz (45% of total),
When I said Valencia area I meant near to Valencia city because that is where the original poster is heading for. There are less Brits there than places such as Alicante and Benidorm and definitely a lot less than there are in the Malaga area so I stand by what I said.

As for your comment about the fact that we are Concierges, for your information Concierges are the welcomers to new members, nothing more.

Rosemary
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Hiya.

Cars in Spain are a total and utter pain in the a**

There are no english car dealers around Valencia city, not reputable ones, who will buy your UK car around here, apart from one or two back garden mechanics who would offer you literally peanuts for your uk rhd car.

Based on the utter nightmare we had, i would bring a LHD car into spain and register it after 6 months, Be prepared to pay plenty of tax etc on it, but in the end its worth it.

An example. Our daughter in uk has a merc she got for 1200 quid.

The exact same model, but lhd, over here, spanish plates, 7000 (pounds).

Cars over here are poorly maintained, dented buckets, bring a uk lhd car here and yes make sure it didnt originally come from spain or you could be faced with paying someone elses taxes and any credit secured on the car when its was spanish plated.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

and sorry to all about not being on this forum for ages, well i'm back now, and promise to behave myself LOL!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:50 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by painterhombre
Hiya.

There are no english car dealers around Valencia city, not reputable ones, who will buy your UK car around here, apart from one or two back garden mechanics who would offer you literally peanuts for your uk rhd car.

Based on the utter nightmare we had, i would bring a LHD car into spain and register it after 6 months, Be prepared to pay plenty of tax etc on it, but in the end its worth it.

Cars over here are poorly maintained, dented buckets, bring a uk lhd car here and yes make sure it didnt originally come from spain or you could be faced with paying someone elses taxes and any credit secured on the car when its was spanish plated.
That all depends if you are talking about LHD or RHD cars. In the UK its pretty hard to find good LHD cars with lowish milage suitable for importing to Spain. If importing a RHD car you then need to have it converted for lights etc then its worthless afterwards as no -one here wants RHD cars so you rinitial "saving" may well turn out to be expnsive in the longer run.

I have a RHD car in Spain but think I won't get anytning for it is I wanted to sell it. I am always on the lookout for suitable a LHD car both here and in the UK and hopefuly will come across what I want at sometime in the near future.

There are complex rules regarding importing cars but if you live in Spain and then import a car you have owned in the UK for fore than 12 months there can be tax advatages - but you can ony do this once!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
Hiya.

Register it before and save tax.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

[QUOTE=painterhombre;9736191]Hiya.

Hear, hear - the funniest thing is to see the prices being asked by spanish private vendors. Optimistic isn't the word.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Jondad is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: LHD car in Spain... RHD part-exchange?

Just popping back to my original post. Re RHD AND LHD swaps at each side of ferry route. I live in Northern Ireland which as you know is part of U.K. I can drive my uk registered RHD car to any port in either ireland or england. All the other person does is drive their Spanish Registered LHD to the port on the other side from me. I think there is a ferry route plymouth to santander as well as cork to santander I may be wrong. The whole process sounds fairly straight forward but......
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Jondad
Just popping back to my original post. Re RHD AND LHD swaps at each side of ferry route. I live in Northern Ireland which as you know is part of U.K. I can drive my uk registered RHD car to any port in either ireland or england. All the other person does is drive their Spanish Registered LHD to the port on the other side from me. I think there is a ferry route plymouth to santander as well as cork to santander I may be wrong. The whole process sounds fairly straight forward but......
The paperwork involved maybe the obstacle.

Rosemary
Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Jondad is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: LHD car in Spain... RHD part-exchange?

Agreed But cant we at least discuss the possibilities as the other options also have their problems
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:11 am
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

Why, oh why, would YOU drive on the wrong side of the road???

Spanish prices are completely ridiculous, but then we'll need a LHD car when we move to Spain. I guess that unless we find a good priced LHD car just before we come we'll have to take ours and use it for 6 months before trying to sell it to some returning expat.

There should be some second hand car seller taking both types as exchange for coming and returning expats. We'll live in Valencia city, but we could travel further to get a new car and leave the old one there if the price is good enough.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Be aware that if you do buy a LHD car in UK before moving to Spain you should do so at least 6 months in advance of your move otherwise you will not qualify for importing free of importation tax.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 3:23 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
Be aware that if you do buy a LHD car in UK before moving to Spain you should do so at least 6 months in advance of your move otherwise you will not qualify for importing free of importation tax.
You're right, completely forgot, thanks.

I thought it was 12 months, though?

Buf! Again... why do you drive on the wrong side!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.