Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

LHD British regsitered car into Spain?

LHD British regsitered car into Spain?

Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:17 am
Just Joined

parrish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LHD British regsitered car into Spain?

Firstly i live and own a house in Spain (Granada area) i have done for 4+ years now, i have a Spanish car and a British plated car.
I am non-resident (for tax reasons) i fill in a UK tax return form and as i dont spend any more than 5 months a year in Spain.
I have a NIE.
I Have bought a 1997 BMW Z3 LHD, originally exported to Japan but since then brought back to the UK and now on UK plates.
This question has been asked many many times with many different answers on other threads.

I am willing to pay the import duties and taxes, can this car be Matriculated onto Spanish plates?

I am yet to visit my local Abagado.
Im not asking the question can i drive it in Spain as i know what the Spanish law states regards that, i simply want to know if anyone has matriculated and imported an import.
Regards
Parrish
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LHD British regsitered car into Spain?

Originally Posted by parrish
Firstly i live and own a house in Spain (Granada area) i have done for 4+ years now, i have a Spanish car and a British plated car.
I am non-resident (for tax reasons) i fill in a UK tax return form and as i dont spend any more than 5 months a year in Spain.
I have a NIE.
I Have bought a 1997 BMW Z3 LHD, originally exported to Japan but since then brought back to the UK and now on UK plates.
This question has been asked many many times with many different answers on other threads.

I am willing to pay the import duties and taxes, can this car be Matriculated onto Spanish plates?

Im not asking the question can i drive it in Spain as i know what the Spanish law states regards that, i simply want to know if anyone has matriculated and imported an import.
Regards
Parrish
Yes .... I've matriculated a Japanese home market only car into Spain, having previously imported into the UK.

The only thing I am unsure of, is that when I bought a new car in Spain, to register it in my name I had to shown them my padron, and presumably you haven't got one as you dont't live here.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:17 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

You can go on the padron if you have a holiday home here
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeoc
You can go on the padron if you have a holiday home here
Oh OK .... I didn't know that

So he probably needs

1 an NIE
2 Padron cert
3 Orig Reg docs
4 Passport
5 a lot of patience or a gestor
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:22 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

In fact our town hall is encouraging as many holiday home owners as possible to go on the padron, they get more money from Madrid for it!
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I have a NIE.

Regards
Parrish
If you are here for more than 3 months it is required that you get a Spanish residencia certificate.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeoc
In fact our town hall is encouraging as many holiday home owners as possible to go on the padron, they get more money from Madrid for it!
That is true but Hacienda now treat people on the padron as potentially tax resident and are chasing them up for income tax.

A Spaniard cannot sign onto the padron where he has a holiday home - that's why the town hall have been encouraging foreigners to sign on to make up the numbers - thay couldn't care less if you are tax resident or not.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone,
Yes im on the Padron, and i have all the other documents, so when im next over in November ill get myself down to the gestor.
Ill keep you posted.
3 Months and you have to become a resident? is that true? i thought it was longer.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone,
Yes im on the Padron, and i have all the other documents, so when im next over in November ill get myself down to the gestor.
Ill keep you posted.
3 Months and you have to become a resident? is that true? i thought it was longer.
Yep, have a look in the free beer thread, there is a link to the document about it.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It always was 90 days.

Tax residency is more than 183 days in one calendar year - the 183 days includes temporary absences from Spain unless the tax payer can demonstrate tax residence in another country.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Just to go off at a tangent from the subject of the thread,
Fred,
does that mean i can become Spanish resident and pay UK tax?
If so what do i have to produce to the Spanish authorities each year to prove im filling in a UK Tax return (the tax return form!) or something from the Tax office in the UK.
Or will i also have to pay Spanish tax.
I am paid by an overseas company into my bank in the UK!
Steve
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:41 am

Just to go off at a tangent from the subject of the thread,
Fred,
does that mean i can become Spanish resident and pay UK tax?
If so what do i have to produce to the Spanish authorities each year to prove im filling in a UK Tax return (the tax return form!) or something from the Tax office in the UK.
Or will i also have to pay Spanish tax.
I am paid by an overseas company into my bank in the UK!
Steve
If you spend over 183 days in Spain in any one year you will be classed as tax resident in Spain and will pay Spanish tax on all your income.

At the same time you can also be tax resident in the UK as they have a 90 day rule as well as the 183 day rule. Under these circumstances you would pay tax in the UK but be allowed to offset this from your Spanish income tax.

There are some exceptions to this because of the double taxation treaty but this applies mainly to income such a pensions and investments and these can be paid free of UK tax as long as they are taxed in Spain.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Magnum 500 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a NIE.

Regards
Parrish
I have a similar problem - I have a Range Rover (RHD) which I brought to Spain in 2002. It is registered, taxed and insured in Spain, and I want to take it to UK and sell it there. Is this difficult?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:26 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magnum 500
I have a similar problem - I have a Range Rover (RHD) which I brought to Spain in 2002. It is registered, taxed and insured in Spain, and I want to take it to UK and sell it there. Is this difficult?
I have done it with a VW Golf from Italy, it was very easy, and I had absolutely no paperwork.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:54 pm

The procedures are on the DVLA site here http://tinyurl.com/ynp75b

If the car was previously registered in the UK it makes it very easy as they will have retained the records.

You will also have to de-register it in Spain. The produres are on the Trafico site here http://tinyurl.com/2nz96q