Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

letting agents in spain

letting agents in spain

Old Jul 28th 2004, 5:54 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default letting agents in spain

We have our house on a long term rental (until we either find the right house to buy, or build it for ourselves), and whenever things go wrong (as they do) it is a real battle to get them (the Agents) to do something about it.
In just over the past week we have had problems with all 3 main utilities, gas, electricity & water! To get the electricity sorted I was originally told they had to go to the dentist so they couldn't do anything that day! It was only when I got really angry & threatened to contact the owner that they phoned an electrician for me!
The big problem was yesterday. When we went to bed on Monday night there was a mains water cut - not that unusual.
I woke up at 6.15 am & could hear water running - someone had left a tap on. As I walked around the house I found the living room floor wet!
Odd - no taps in there - then I discovered that water was spouting out of a pipe coming out of the wall next to the fireplace!! aaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhh!!
I got dh up and we got a big water bottle to catch the water in - picked up throws & cushions & stuff - then rang the Agent to get us a plumber, and tell us where the mains stop cock was, as we couldn't find it! (at one point my dd measured the flow at around a litre a minute - so we lost about 200 litres by the time it was fixed!)
Surprise surprise they didn't answer their phone (although they work from home) & we left a message. 10 mins or so later we left another one. A few mins later we tried again & this time the phone didn't even ring - just went stright to answerphone. I may be wrong - but doesn't that mean the phone was off the hook?
At about 8.30 the Agent rang us, complained about us phoning them so early and asked what we thought she could could about it

By this time we had rung around a few friends & got hold of a plumber who was on his way.

Does anyone else have a rental, and if so do they have emergency access to them, or do they have similar problems to us?

If you are thinking of renting long term - make sure you learn from our experience & go with a proper reputable company - with emergency numbers

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 28th 2004 at 11:31 am.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:06 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Would that have been with Sally? My parents first rented in Javea and went through the same thing.

I rented out in Jesus Pobre and had a nightmare trying to get the deposit back. In the end I had to file a denuncia and threaten them with the tax man, court etc.,

The prob out in places like Javea with a huge expat population is that so many people arrive and set up as estate agents, or letting agents. There's no regulatory body and not many of them have a clue what they're doing.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

No - it's a spanish guy & a german woman - married. They used to have an agency in the Arenal & the owner originally bought through them.
She has now told me that she is not an agent at all & not an agent for the owner - so I e mailed him (my secret weapon) & he has confirmed that they are indeed paid agents but he is stuck with them - and apologised for the aggro.
It's rent day at the weekend so watch this space!!!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:55 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by xabiachica
No - it's a spanish guy & a german woman - married. They used to have an agency in the Arenal & the owner originally bought through them.
She has now told me that she is not an agent at all & not an agent for the owner - so I e mailed him (my secret weapon) & he has confirmed that they are indeed paid agents but he is stuck with them - and apologised for the aggro.
It's rent day at the weekend so watch this space!!!

I would have absolutely no problem at all in letting the owners know what a great job the agents are doing- especially in situations where (ie the water) their property as well as other's below (if it's a piso) is at risk of damage. If I own property I want my man/plumbers there ASAP to prevent further damage.

Does your lease allow you to contact repair personell, then deduct it from rent? Even if it does not, doing just that may get the agent''s and owner's attention.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally posted by ironporer
I would have absolutely no problem at all in letting the owners know what a great job the agents are doing- especially in situations where (ie the water) their property as well as other's below (if it's a piso) is at risk of damage. If I own property I want my man/plumbers there ASAP to prevent further damage.

Does your lease allow you to contact repair personell, then deduct it from rent? Even if it does not, doing just that may get the agent''s and owner's attention.

don't you worry mr porer - the owner is fully aware of what's been happening......................................... .
and the money we paid to the plumber will be deducted when we pay the rent at the weekend...................

as I said - watch this space...........................