Reload this Page >

Less than 180 days stay

Less than 180 days stay

Old Aug 22nd 2019, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Rorypens is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Less than 180 days stay

Hi All,

Am I right in my thinking (for both EU and non-EU citizens as I am now planning both scenarios) that if I just live in Spain for less than 180 days a year that I would not need to become resident or pay income taxes? And that this would apply as both a house owner (holiday home) and a non-houseowner?

I am British (retired but no UK pension or UK ties) but don't live there, I live in Asia (where I live full time and am tax resident) and am looking to split my year between Europe and Asia. I have enough dealing with the bureaucracy in the country that I live so am looking for an easy European summer option that does not involve getting involved in another countries beurocracy as well.

Last edited by Rorypens; Aug 22nd 2019 at 3:31 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 6:57 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Less than 180 days stay

Originally Posted by Rorypens View Post
Hi All,

Am I right in my thinking (for both EU and non-EU citizens as I am now planning both scenarios) that if I just live in Spain for less than 180 days a year that I would not need to become resident or pay income taxes? And that this would apply as both a house owner (holiday home) and a non-houseowner?

I am British (retired but no UK pension or UK ties) but don't live there, I live in Asia (where I live full time and am tax resident) and am looking to split my year between Europe and Asia. I have enough dealing with the bureaucracy in the country that I live so am looking for an easy European summer option that does not involve getting involved in another countries beurocracy as well.
At the moment, you should register as resident if you stay longer than 90 days (not 180). After a total of 183 days, you are considered tax resident.

After Brexit, you will only be able to stay for 90 days in a rolling 180 day period.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

You still have to pay non-resident tax if you own a property.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks that a great help. Yes after the "B" I can see my options becoming a lot more beurocratic, sadly.

The non-resident tax for the house would be like council tax in the UK I presume?
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

No the Council tax equivalent is called IBI and is paid to the Town Hall. The non resident tax is paid to the tax authority and is something different.
Check out You and the Law in Spain by David Searl.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly View Post
No the Council tax equivalent is called IBI and is paid to the Town Hall. The non resident tax is paid to the tax authority and is something different.
Check out You and the Law in Spain by David Searl.
I thought that book went out of print some years ago, it was never online to the best of my knowledge. Such a shame as it was excellent on all aspects of Spanish Law and was regularly updated.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn View Post

I thought that book went out of print some years ago, it was never online to the best of my knowledge. Such a shame as it was excellent on all aspects of Spanish Law and was regularly updated.
I ordered it second hand on amazon (Uk) last night for 2 pounds, quite a few second hand ones were available there.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Can anyone recommend a professional tax advisor in Alicante province? I have done my own calculation based on gleaning stuff from the internet (it came out about 50% more than what would be my liabilities in the UK, more than my current, but substantially less than Portugal sans the 10 years NHI) but think its time to spend some money and get an accurate figure of my potential liabilities if I decide/happen to stay a longer period.

Last edited by Rorypens; Aug 23rd 2019 at 1:46 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

We use a local tax advisor who is Spanish but speaks English. You could write to her as you dont need to go into her office. She works in a town called Coín near Marbella. I pay about three times more tax here than I did in the UK with the same income. PM me for her details they are of any use. She is very good.