Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Legal Requirement on Electricity Upgrade

Legal Requirement on Electricity Upgrade

Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

skeetersmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legal Requirement on Electricity Upgrade

Does anyone know about the requirement to have electricity upgraded in parts of Spain. I have 1KW supply and apparently I have until January to get a new supply fitted but I can't have over 3.3KW supply. I am hopelessly lost and only know that I have to have a Boletin signed off by a Spanish Electrician and submitted to the electric company. Anyone know when this comes into force?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:36 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal Requirement on Electricity Upgrade

If you bought a house without a current (less than 5yrs old) boletin then before the electricity supply contract can be put into your name you will need to get a boletin for the property via a registered electrician (nationality not important, only registration!).
If the property presently has an internal meter, this will need to be resited to an external wall before the boletin will be issued.
If, of course, you have a 110V supply this will need to be upgraded to a 230V supply.
With regards to potencia AFAIK there is no requirement to increase this but of course you would need to because 1.1kW won't power anything more than a few lightbulbs! The higher the potencia you contract for, the higher the standing charge. 3.3kW is about the min. you can live with, 4.4kW would be better but it sounds as if your provider has supply capacity issues in your area.
Your survey report should have explained all this to you