Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Left holding the baby

Left holding the baby

Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:54 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Left holding the baby

Originally Posted by HBG
I do get the humour and thank you for it, but it got me thinking about something that’s bugged me for years.

I’ve tried to learn Spanish for many, many years and I’ve tried to integrate too, but there always comes a time when a real Spaniard says to me, “What are you trying to say?”

It’s because you can never get it totally right, never, unless you’re a native.

I remember some academic comparing Tolstoy’s translations by expert interpreters, one English and one German, and the short piece under comparison lost all of its original Russian meaning. The academic was able to show the author’s real meaning, because he, the academic, was a native Russian.

Still, what’s wrong with tilting at windmills?
We went to a 30 wedding anniversary of a Spanish couple, a couple of weeks ago in Galicia, a couple who had lived in the UK for years and brought their family up there.

The man in question told everyone to raise their glasses for the
TOSTADA, most of the guests thought he was mad, only the ones that had spent a long time in the UK understood what he meant, and we were tickled by his gaffe.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

What shocked me most about this affair was the fact that the head of the social services for Andalucia, a woman, declared that her department was happy to leave the baby with it's 10 year old mother and would keep an eye on future developments from a distance. however, after criticism on the media they are now promising that the mother will be schooled as the law demands. Apparently the father is her 13 year old cousin. Both children were left in Romania with their granny while there mothers were working in Spain but I understand there are plans to take the child and baby back to Romania.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JLFS
Sorry but that does not do much for me, that type of musice has its place, but for me it would be more background music, not the "actual event", if you know what I mean.
And I think that Norah Jones might feel the same, because as you say she sings anything but indian music and it has not gone unnoticed that her stage name gives nothing away as to her heratige.

But the world would be a boring place if we were all the same.
I know, their music is not for anywone's taste.
Concert for George Harrison, Royal lbert Hall - London. First part was reserved for Anouska Shankar (her father watching as probably he was sick) to perform with her compatriots. Again, beautiful music.

Speaking about Norah Jones and Anouska, it seems they met half way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCdL-...eature=related