Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Leaving Spain. Why!

Leaving Spain. Why!

Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice
Default Leaving Spain. Why!

Hi all, I have only been here for 7 weeks now and still loving it all, Family been here for 4 months. I keep reading that people are leaving Spain and going back to the UK. Why? Is it the euro, ie, parity to the pound, lack of jobs, I really would like to know why. Feeling like I am joining a sinking ship. I dont want to gain off others misfortune but we have not yet bought a house which is just as well as prices are dropping thru the floor. Would value your opions.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Spain. Why!

Originally Posted by trentino
Hi all, I have only been here for 7 weeks now and still loving it all, Family been here for 4 months. I keep reading that people are leaving Spain and going back to the UK. Why? Is it the euro, ie, parity to the pound, lack of jobs, I really would like to know why. Feeling like I am joining a sinking ship. I dont want to gain off others misfortune but we have not yet bought a house which is just as well as prices are dropping thru the floor. Would value your opions.
There are lots of reasons, discussed time and time again here

I am returning for health reasons but 99% of the people I have known who have returned have gone because of work and running out of money, its a grim time at the moment and of course the low euro rate wont help those living on a pension. The cost of living is going up here just as it is everywhere else
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:32 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

So, you have lived here 7 weeks-----you are still in holiday mode. Can I ask are you rich?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:39 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

It usually takes about 3 years for the novelty to wear off from what I've seen!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

Many people going because they can't find the full time, taxed work that would enable them to stay. With no social security cover, e.g. Medical cover, would you stay?

Others realise this country is not the 'dream in the sun' as they initially thought - for example the weather is not hot all year round, and this country has an awe-inspiring beaurocratic system that is enough to leave anyone TOTALLY flabergasted...

Oh, and if you don't 'know' local people, often in this culture you won't get anywhere - it is important to try to intergrate, learn the language and make freinds. But, depending on where you live, this contact with the locals may be almost non-existent OR limited to certain things...

Spain, and the Spanish have wised up to the wave of immigration that has hit them in the past few years and they now know how to work it to their advantage. In the sense that it is best to try to avoid doing any 'serious money business' with the Spanish, if you are a Brit, they often see you coming a mile off...

I know that all sounds rather negative, but it is the result of my experience here to be honest!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:05 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's true, we are looked on as their cash card!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

I suspect there are two main reasons.

One financial. It is virtually impossible to gain any sensible legal employment in the Spanish community. Multinationals are the best bet, but thin on the ground. The other option is self employment within your own community. But how many "man and vans" can a society need?

The second real problem is not to have your extended family close at hand.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
So, you have lived here 7 weeks-----you are still in holiday mode. Can I ask are you rich?
Been in Spain two years .. not rich ... being back in the UK a few days for Christmas as I am now reminds me why I moved. Trouble is a lot of people dont realise how its deteriorated in the UK and think coming back here is the answer to everything
Gridlocked roads, car bumped into me whilst I was stationary and drove off, grey damp and cold .....

Originally Posted by Sarleon
Spain, and the Spanish have wised up to the wave of immigration that has hit them in the past few years and they now know how to work it to their advantage. In the sense that it is best to try to avoid doing any 'serious money business' with the Spanish, if you are a Brit, they often see you coming a mile off...
I just dont get this I have found the Spanish around here to be helpful, friendly and good workers. Its the Brits that tried to rip me off, so I use them as little as possible nowadays
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:47 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Been in Spain two years .. not rich ... being back in the UK a few days for Christmas as I am now reminds me why I moved. Trouble is a lot of people dont realise how its deteriorated in the UK and think coming back here is the answer to everything
Gridlocked roads, car bumped into me whilst I was stationary and drove off, grey damp and cold .....

I just dont get this I have found the Spanish around here to be helpful, friendly and good workers. Its the Brits that tried to rip me off, so I use them as little as possible nowadays

Hear Hear Hear Hear Mitzboy I agree with everything you say. Why would it be a problem re Family its only a two hour flight.......One could be away on business in the UK some 3 or four hours drive away....The Brits just moan and make excuses, Want to know all your business and do not want you to have what they have already got...I remember how unhelpful certain Brits were when I first arrived when we wanted a telephone, Internet, Even a wood supplier little help was forthcoming when you later learn they had the information all the time..Then they try to rip you off doing work for you.... Well I don't need them,Most of them have gone back to the UK because they are skint, Well tough tits and bye. I wouldn't mix with that sort of person in the UK why should I here.I love it here in Spain, You can stick the UK up your Mosque.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Dec 15th 2008 at 9:59 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

:
Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Hear Hear Hear Hear Mitzboy I agree with everything you say. Why would it be a problem re Family its only a two hour flight.......One could be away on business in the UK some 3 or four hours drive away....The Brits just moan and make excuses, Want to know all your business and do not want you to have what they have already got...I remember how unhelpful certain Brits were when I first arrived when we wanted a telephone, Internet, Even a wood supplier little help was forthcoming when you later learn they had the information all the time..Then they try to rip you off doing work for you.... Well I don't need them,Most of them have gone back to the UK because they are skint, Well tough tits and bye. I wouldn't mix with that sort of person in the UK why should I here.I love it here in Spain, You can stick the UK up your Mosque.
some think information is power.. those types are best left to their own little cliques
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackytoo
No, not rich. Husband semi retired, he goes back to uk every 6 weeks for a couple of days in the office. I have found almost everyone very helpful here and making friends very easily. Son is settled in school and house is now full of teenagers every weekend. Have to say older son now gone back to uk to work as could not get a proper job here. No, its not hot all year round, but who would want searing temps all year. Its lovely to see the snow on the mountains and everything, well here at least s so lovely and clean. Not like the filthy streets in the UK.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

No, not rich. Husband semi retired, he goes back to uk every 6 weeks for a couple of days in the office. I have found almost everyone very helpful here and making friends very easily. Son is settled in school and house is now full of teenagers every weekend. Have to say older son now gone back to uk to work as could not get a proper job here. No, its not hot all year round, but who would want searing temps all year. Its lovely to see the snow on the mountains and everything, well here at least s so lovely and clean. Not like the filthy streets in the UK.
so there aren't any dogs where you are
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

car bumped into me whilst I was stationary and drove off
that happened to my husband, his brand new van just weeks old, soemone drove into it and drove off, didnt leave a note or anything ended up costing us to have it repaired and the hassle...that was in Xeraco so I dont think thats just a UK thing
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Trouble is a lot of people dont realise how its deteriorated in the UK and think coming back here is the answer to everything
I think many that return dont have a choice, if they are of working age and have no work and no money and a family to support what option do they have, its certainly easier to get a job in a country where you speak the language

As we know working legally here costs, which is why so many work illegally

Someone said to me last week actually, "they come over here with money, flash it about and a year later they are gone....we call ´em one year millionaires"
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I think thats quite a generalisation.....yes there are Brits that rip people off, as well as Spanish, Bulgarian, Germans.....

IMO its the people that get ripped off that are to blame some of the time.......eg have heard of people paying builders/tradesmen up front in full for a job ....yep youve guessed it that never gets done, now why oh why would you do that......is it not asking for trouble, of course the builder/tradesmen should be an honest worker who does what they say they are going to do but its not always the case

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.