Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Leaving Spain, tax deregistration form 030.

Leaving Spain, tax deregistration form 030.

Old Jan 18th 2015, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

barceway is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Leaving Spain, tax deregistration form 030.

Hola

I am planning to leave Spain for good in the next month or two. I've searched previous expat threads and it looks like the deregistration with police, padron and medical card is quite easy. The problem may come up with the deregistration for tax in hacienda. I've read that I will need to provide a residency certificate from another country for them to deregister me and get it translated etc. In my case I'm not going straight back to UK, but planning to spend some time with friends in France and then maybe go to Asia travelling but I'm not really decided.

So how do you fill in the form if you don't know?
What would happen if I just didn't do it?

I'd prefer to do it properly and get off the Spanish system rather than just clearing off and leave it hanging, but they don't make it easy for you tbh.

thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Leaving Spain, tax deregistration form 030.

Originally Posted by barceway
Hola

I am planning to leave Spain for good in the next month or two. I've searched previous expat threads and it looks like the deregistration with police, padron and medical card is quite easy. The problem may come up with the deregistration for tax in hacienda. I've read that I will need to provide a residency certificate from another country for them to deregister me and get it translated etc. In my case I'm not going straight back to UK, but planning to spend some time with friends in France and then maybe go to Asia travelling but I'm not really decided.

So how do you fill in the form if you don't know?
What would happen if I just didn't do it?

I'd prefer to do it properly and get off the Spanish system rather than just clearing off and leave it hanging, but they don't make it easy for you tbh.

thanks for any advice.
The form 030 is not really a de-registration but a change of address form. I would just fill it in and send it in. At least then they know you don't live in Spain after a certain date.

I think all tax offices are the same they won't let you off their hook unless you are on someone else's so when you eventually sign on somewhere else you will have to notify the Hacienda with some form from the new jurisdiction.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Spain, tax deregistration form 030.

Originally Posted by barceway
Hola
I am planning to leave Spain for good in the next month or two. I've searched previous expat threads and it looks like the deregistration with police, padron and medical card is quite easy.

thanks for any advice.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 19th 2015, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rosemary for a helpful site and a warm welcome.

saludos
Mark
Old Jan 19th 2015, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
The form 030 is not really a de-registration but a change of address form. I would just fill it in and send it in. At least then they know you don't live in Spain after a certain date.

I think all tax offices are the same they won't let you off their hook unless you are on someone else's so when you eventually sign on somewhere else you will have to notify the Hacienda with some form from the new jurisdiction.
No, you can use the Modelo 030 to change your tax residence status as well. If you just submit it as a change of address to the UK they will write to you and ask you to provide them with a Certificate of Fiscal Residence from somewhere else, presumably the UK. Once you provide that they will change your fiscal status on the system.

To a certain extent it depends upon the source of your income. Assuming it comes from the UK, then technically if you are not tax resident in Spain, it doesn't matter where you are, your income then becomes taxable in the UK. Its always taxable in the UK, unless its taxable somewhere else with a double tax agreement (if that makes sense). If I were you I would have a word with the Inland Revenue (but ask to speak to a "technician"), and explain the problem. They will tell you whether they will issue you with a certificate under the circumstances you describe.

Last edited by CapnBilly; Jan 19th 2015 at 8:52 am.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply CapnBilly,

It seems a strange one as I've seen some posts where people say that they didn't have to get any sort of certificate. I was wondering if this was because they used a gestor who does the process online.
I was also wondering, if they do send a certificate of deregistration, where do they send it to, as I won't have an address in Spain?

Anyone out there have direct experience of this please?

saludos
Mark
Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

You may be lucky and they may not ask. When I did this the first time, they just changed mine, but I had to provide a certificate for my wife. The last time they asked for both.

If you have a digital ID you can do everything online, including submitting the form, receiving the letter (but beware the clock starts ticking when you open it), and submitting a reply and uploading a copy of the Certificate you receive from the UK.

Two points:

1.If they write to you they normally say you have 10 working days to respond, that's what I mean by the clock starts ticking. A holding reply saying why you can't and when you will respond is normally okay.

2. HMRC will want to send the certificate to a UK address, and they don't provide it electronically (unlike Spain) so you would need to discuss this with them if you don't have a UK address
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:19 am
Just Joined

I'll have to see what HMRC say then. Thanks for the info, that holding reply could come in useful as I can't imagine getting the cert and it arriving back in Spain all within 10 days. Obviously I'll just try my luck first as hacienda may just sign me off as they seem to have done with other people.

I just have one more doubt. If I can absolutely prove I left Spain in Feb/March and didn't return and was thus absent for more than 183 days in 2015, then would that take precedence in determining I was not liable for tax obligations in Spain, or would the fact that I haven't managed to deregister from their system yet determine I was liable for tax obligations even though I wasn't there for 183 days?