Reload this Page >

Leaving Spain with debts (2009)

Leaving Spain with debts (2009)

Old Apr 12th 2015, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Capnbooboo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving Spain with debts (2009)

Hoy !!

I was working living and working in Spain, i established a tax ID - NEI, had great flat in W.Eixample but the romance with someone ended in a nightmare during 2009 and i left for home to get over it.

Behind me i left my things to flat mates, including a macbook and a small un paid credit card debt of 300€ and loan of 2500€.

It is now 2015, i have plans to return with hopes to live and work in Spain with a mate again but i am worried about what will happen, i worry about been stopped at airports about the debt, prevented from having a NEI or simply been hunted by collectors i heard about that stalk and harass people.

Can anyone please advise about this, really really appreciate it
Old Apr 12th 2015, 3:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Spain with debts (2009)

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 12th 2015, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cap'n

Are you going to repay the €2500 loan?
Old Apr 12th 2015, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dondurma
Hi Cap'n

Are you going to repay the €2500 debt?
after i settle in and open a bank account i guess, im just not sure how they do things in Spain, before i left someone told me a two debt collectors stalked and attacked a girl, it was in the news and all later
Old Apr 12th 2015, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

We'll if you owe the loan then repay it, so there's no debt collectors looking you

€2500 is a considerable sum for which debt collectors could be involved
Old Apr 12th 2015, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dondurma
We'll if you owe the loan then repay it, so there's no debt collectors looking you

€2500 is a considerable sum for which debt collectors could be involved
Do they not black list people in Spain?
My NEI expired a few years ago and i assume i will have to refresh or re apply for one again,

Do you know how this works?, i imagine not much changed in Spain
Old Apr 12th 2015, 5:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's an NIE, not NEI and they never expire. You get one for life.

You can apply for an NIE certificate when required for some transactions and these do have an expiry date but your number stays with you.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's an NIE, not NEI and they never expire. You get one for life.

You can apply for an NIE certificate when required for some transactions and these do have an expiry date but your number stays with you.
You are correct, i confused the NEI with my actual residence card which expired 2011,

Do you know if i have to do anything administration wise when i return to Spain, im sort of trying out a few jobs but nothing solid.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 6:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Capnbooboo
You are correct, i confused the NEI with my actual residence card which expired 2011,

Do you know if i have to do anything administration wise when i return to Spain, im sort of trying out a few jobs but nothing solid.
yes, you'll have to register as resident again - you'll keep the same NIE

for that you'll have to show that you have sufficient income & /or funds in a Spanish bank account, & that you have healthcare provision in place

if you have a contracted job, or are registered as autónomo, that will cover that, otherwise, you'll have to show income from another source & have private health insurance
Old Apr 13th 2015, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes, you'll have to register as resident again - you'll keep the same NIE

for that you'll have to show that you have sufficient income & /or funds in a Spanish bank account, & that you have healthcare provision in place

if you have a contracted job, or are registered as autónomo, that will cover that, otherwise, you'll have to show income from another source & have private health insurance
I did have a job the first time i went but my flatmate got a residency card with out working, i think she only used a registry to show where she lived, she got some paper with her address etc.

What is exactly is residency card good for?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I did have a job the first time i went but my flatmate got a residency card with out working, i think she only used a registry to show where she lived, she got some paper with her address etc.

What is exactly is residency card good for?
since autumn 2012 you've had to prove income & healthcare provision in order to register as resident

it isn't a case of 'what is it good for?' - although you will need it for lots of things - it's simply obligatory that you register if you are, or intend to be, here more that 90 days
Old Apr 13th 2015, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

after i settle in and open a bank account i guess, im just not sure how they do things in Spain, before i left someone told me a two debt collectors stalked and attacked a girl, it was in the news and all later
Hi Cap'n,

You're obviously concerned so you might find yourself looking over your shoulder once you're here. Is it worth the stress?

If "I guess" ever turns into "I will", I can tell you exactly how things work in Spain, it's exactly as they work in the UK. You pick up the phone, tell the organisation you owe money to who you are, and agree to pay them.

The bad news is, they might have added interest and fees. You might want to check that and reach and agreement before you reveal where you are living.

I strongly suspect that you will be able to turn up and will never be chased for the money.

I am sure you won't be held at the airport.

Whatever you decide, can I recommend you don't try this stunt elsewhere. In the Middle East you would be held at the airport even if just transferring and not entering the country. You'd be chucked in jail and left for a couple of days before being spoken to. You'd be held there until somebody came along and paid off your debt.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Horlics
Hi Cap'n,

You're obviously concerned so you might find yourself looking over your shoulder once you're here. Is it worth the stress?

If "I guess" ever turns into "I will", I can tell you exactly how things work in Spain, it's exactly as they work in the UK. You pick up the phone, tell the organisation you owe money to who you are, and agree to pay them.

The bad news is, they might have added interest and fees. You might want to check that and reach and agreement before you reveal where you are living.

I strongly suspect that you will be able to turn up and will never be chased for the money.

I am sure you won't be held at the airport.

Whatever you decide, can I recommend you don't try this stunt elsewhere. In the Middle East you would be held at the airport even if just transferring and not entering the country. You'd be chucked in jail and left for a couple of days before being spoken to. You'd be held there until somebody came along and paid off your debt.
what you mean by stunt
i have no problems paying a debt, just wondering what to expect if i have to register for a residency card again., i guess from what lynnxa says i will have to wait for this until i get a work contract
Old Apr 13th 2015, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hoy !!

I was working living and working in Spain, i established a tax ID - NEI, had great flat in W.Eixample but the romance with someone ended in a nightmare during 2009 and i left for home to get over it.

Behind me i left my things to flat mates, including a macbook and a small un paid credit card debt of 300€ and loan of 2500€.

It is now 2015, i have plans to return with hopes to live and work in Spain with a mate again but i am worried about what will happen, i worry about been stopped at airports about the debt, prevented from having a NEI or simply been hunted by collectors i heard about that stalk and harass people.

Why not contact the people you owe before you set out for Spain?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Hoy !!

It's a civil matter so of course you won't get detained at airports or anywhere else. For such a small amount, you're not going to have people running around after you making demands. In Spain, running up debts and not ever paying them back is a national sport. Anybody pursues you just tell them to F. off in very clear terms. If anyone wants money let them find you and take you to court and even if a court gives a judgement against you, let them take you to court again to reclaim the money. That's the way it works. Of course at that stage you then claim poverty and destitution like every Spaniard that owes money.

Play the game.

So chillout and enjoy your return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.