Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

leaving a rented property

leaving a rented property

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 10:43 am
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice
Default Re: leaving a rented property

The last few posts have been about landlords and deposits in the UK. The OP sounds as if he is asking the question about Spain.

So far the best advice in his case (as he's already in the property) seems to by from lynnxa - don't pay the last month(s) rent equal to the amount of the deposit on the basis that it's likely that you would have to fight to get the deposit back.

If you haven't signed yet then it sounds best to follow the advice given by JLFS to put it through the camera de comercio. Can anyone give anymore information about camera de comercio please?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Library Ticket
The last few posts have been about landlords and deposits in the UK. The OP sounds as if he is asking the question about Spain.

So far the best advice in his case (as he's already in the property) seems to by from lynnxa - don't pay the last month(s) rent equal to the amount of the deposit on the basis that it's likely that you would have to fight to get the deposit back.

If you haven't signed yet then it sounds best to follow the advice given by JLFS to put it through the camera de comercio. Can anyone give anymore information about camera de comercio please?
Yes I also could do with that info please about the Camera de Comercio as I might not be so lucky next time. My rent was due today, however yesterday morning the ayuntamiento called and told me that in 2 or 3 weeks there are workmen working outside the gates and digging inside the garden of this property because of a burst pipe. I know it is not the landlords fault but as I was going to move anyway at end of the contract in May and had told him this last week. I explained to him that I would not be able to tolerate the noise and lack of privacy etc that will be caused when they arrive. When he asked for my rent, I told him to use my deposit as the rent for March because I will be moving at the end of the month. This is a bit different I know because I had the workmen as a reason for breaking contract. He wasn't totally happy but accepted it.

Last edited by lovethesun; Mar 3rd 2011 at 12:54 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

The law came in nearly 2 years ago, so anyone renting new since then is included, why don't you take a look at the forum on www.landlordzone.co.uk
You may get a better balanced view ,of what is law now !
And believe me, there are a lot of bad tenants too.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by adra04778
The law came in nearly 2 years ago, so anyone renting new since then is included, why don't you take a look at the forum on www.landlordzone.co.uk

Really useful website ... as I say, it was just over 2 years ago we last rented a property in UK and things seem to have changed for the better in that time!

But a comment on there about a 'Trip Advisor' style website for landlords made me think ...

There might be more security for the return of your deposit if you took a long let on a property on one of the holiday lettings websites, possibly from a UK owner, paying in ££ into a UK bank account. I know that unlike us, lots of owners welcome long-term lets and offer reductions on the weekly rates. Many of these websites encourage guests to post their experiences and wouldn't want the bad publicity associated with non-return of a deposit?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 11:47 am
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

Yes thanks adra I will look at the link, it will be useful as we're planning to let our house in the UK, through a reputable agent.

What I really need info on is how the deposit scheme works in Spain through the camera de comercio.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Of course any delay in returning the deposit, whether because of arbitration or whatever, still leaves the tenant (in any country) without a deposit for his next rental accommodation.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Our landlord came around today for his last months rent as we are moving the end of the month.

We told him to keep the deposit for the months rent but our deposit is actually larger than a months rent.He was concerned about anything being broken or us not paying our final bills etc.

We reminded him that we are leaving things we have bought since living here like sat dishes etc.

Anyway our town is too small for us to do a runner.

He wasnt happy to start but accepted it.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:08 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Library Ticket

I absolutely disagree with this suggestion - it is against Spanish Law (which states that the fianza can NOT be used to pay rent).

Further, what if there are problems? How will the landlord get any money to pay the final bills - bearing in mind that it takes weeks to get a final amount from the likes of Iberdrola or Egavassa (water).
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I absolutely disagree with this suggestion - it is against Spanish Law (which states that the fianza can NOT be used to pay rent).

Further, what if there are problems? How will the landlord get any money to pay the final bills - bearing in mind that it takes weeks to get a final amount from the likes of Iberdrola or Egavassa (water).
Being nice honest people we even told our landlord where we are moving.We fully intend to pay our bills- just didnt want any messing with the return of our deposit.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 1:46 pm
Retired and in Spain

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Being nice honest people we even told our landlord where we are moving.We fully intend to pay our bills- just didnt want any messing with the return of our deposit.
That's exactly what I meant, we would leave a place in at least as good a condition as when we entered it. We would also pay all utility bills and let the landlord know that we were intending not paying the last months rent in lieu of the deposit being returned.

There will be many good landlords around but according to some of the posts there are a lot who seem to regard it as their right to not return deposits. I would rather not have to find out the hard way that my landlord is one of the latter.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 1:51 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

it might well be - but in my experience & that of just about everyone I know that is the only way to ensure you get it back

like paintermujer - we would give notice & even give the landlord our new address -there is no intention of skipping out on what is owed

also no intention of not getting the deposit back
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by lovethesun
Yes I also could do with that info please about the Camera de Comercio as I might not be so lucky next time. My rent was due today, however yesterday morning the ayuntamiento called and told me that in 2 or 3 weeks there are workmen working outside the gates and digging inside the garden of this property because of a burst pipe. I know it is not the landlords fault but as I was going to move anyway at end of the contract in May and had told him this last week. I explained to him that I would not be able to tolerate the noise and lack of privacy etc that will be caused when they arrive. When he asked for my rent, I told him to use my deposit as the rent for March because I will be moving at the end of the month. This is a bit different I know because I had the workmen as a reason for breaking contract. He wasn't totally happy but accepted it.
Update: Two men arrived in 2 days! with spades and quietly dug for 3 days, repaired pipe and they had gone by the end of 6th day! not quite the drama it was made out to be. I was planning to move to a smaller place at the end of my contract at end of May and my landlord was aware of this. So now we have agreed that I pay on a month by month basis until I find another place or he finds new tenants, whichever comes first and I can stay longer than May if needed, so it has actually turned out really good for me in the end. I have my deposit back and also have time to look around, plus landlord is happy that I am looking after the place until it is re let.

Last edited by lovethesun; Mar 14th 2011 at 11:27 am.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovethesun
Update: Two men arrived in 2 days! with spades and quietly dug for 3 days, repaired pipe and they had gone by the end of 6th day! not quite the drama it was made out to be. I was planning to move to a smaller place at the end of my contract at end of May and my landlord was aware of this. So now we have agreed that I pay on a month by month basis until I find another place or he finds new tenants, whichever comes first and I can stay longer than May if needed, so it has actually turned out really good for me in the end. I have my deposit back and also have time to look around, plus landlord is happy that I am looking after the place until it is re let.
You could be there for a while then
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:50 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Gran Canarie in playa del Inglish and pay 450euro a month.all in ..If im going to leave the landlord keeps the deposit as last month of rent..
Old May 5th 2011, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

I was looking for info on this very subject so thought I'd resurrect this thread.

I don't have any advice (apart from don't pay your rent before you leave for the length of time your deposit covers), but have an example of what happens all too frequently.

My friend moved apartments this week after 2 years of paying 700 euros a month. His landlord did the property check before my friend left and decided that the sofa, that was new 2 years ago, was now showing signs of use, that the cleaning was not to standard, and that there were marks on the wall near the front door that would require a full redecoration. He refused to handover any of the 2 months deposit.

He also explained that one of the 2 months deposit had been used to pay the agent fee (in fact it was in the contract - surely illegal?) so what was left would not cover his costs and that he would be sending a bill for any additional amount.

The cheek of these landlords would be amusing if it wasn't for the hardship they cause people. It makes the thought of moving difficult, because what you originally considered money in the bank has to be treated as spent. And if you are lucky enough to get it back you would act as if you had won some money, even though it is rightfully yours!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.