Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

leaving a rented property

leaving a rented property

Old Feb 25th 2011, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold
Default leaving a rented property

If you leave a rented property on what grounds can they retain your bond?.

what is classed as fair wear and tear regarding decor and if you have paid up front by an extra couple of months what are the chances of getting the money back?,

What is the best way to remain on good terms with your landlord/lady?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 6:15 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leaving a rented property

Originally Posted by jay01

what is classed as fair wear and tear regarding decor and if you have paid up front by an extra couple of months what are the chances of getting the money back?,

In your contract it should state how many months notice are required to leave. If you have given this notice and yet have still paid in advance of this, then you should get it back.

Regarding the finance (deposit) this should only be retained (or a proportion) to repair any damages. This could be if the property is left dirty (money needed to pay a cleaner), if property is damaged (cost to repair or replace) or if the property needs redecorating to the same standard as when you entered.

Some unscrupulous landlords will use this last case to have the property repainted etc.

I certainly would not hold back the finance simply for a couple of scuff marks on the wall.

In Germany, however, it is very often the case that the tenant has to completely repaint everything before leaving!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 6:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
In your contract it should state how many months notice are required to leave. If you have given this notice and yet have still paid in advance of this, then you should get it back.

Regarding the finance (deposit) this should only be retained (or a proportion) to repair any damages. This could be if the property is left dirty (money needed to pay a cleaner), if property is damaged (cost to repair or replace) or if the property needs redecorating to the same standard as when you entered.

Some unscrupulous landlords will use this last case to have the property repainted etc.

I certainly would not hold back the finance simply for a couple of scuff marks on the wall.

In Germany, however, it is very often the case that the tenant has to completely repaint everything before leaving!
yes, you should get it back

however I have yet to meet anyone who didn't have to fight for the deposit to be repaid - and then usually didn't get it anyway

we usually give the required notice, and when the owner/agent has agreed that the place is still in good condition, simply don't pay the final month

obviously we don't wreck the place in the meantime...............
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Our contract is up at the end of March and we just assumed we would renew but my parents are moving out and this house is not disabled friendly enough for her needs.

As we always paid 3 months in advance our rent is paid till the end of April, the only damage is cosmetic like hand marks on the staircase wall as there is no hand rail on the wall side, scuff marks on walls, flacking paint where the damp seems to have been painted over before but nothing major.

We seem to have a good relationship with the landlady but then again she was happy to get a rental income, might be a little different when we are looking to leave.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:14 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Our contract is up at the end of March and we just assumed we would renew but my parents are moving out and this house is not disabled friendly enough for her needs.

As we always paid 3 months in advance our rent is paid till the end of April, the only damage is cosmetic like hand marks on the staircase wall as there is no hand rail on the wall side, scuff marks on walls, flacking paint where the damp seems to have been painted over before but nothing major.

We seem to have a good relationship with the landlady but then again she was happy to get a rental income, might be a little different when we are looking to leave.
did you have it written into the contract that you would pay 3 months in advance?
If so there should be no trouble getting it back, although I cant understand why anyone would pay in advance when it is not needed, bacuse 3 months is a long time and anything could happen.

You will soon have the chance to find out how fair and moral your landlady is when you ask for the overpaid rent back.
I hope it goes your way
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:15 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes, you should get it back

however I have yet to meet anyone who didn't have to fight for the deposit to be repaid - and then usually didn't get it anyway

we usually give the required notice, and when the owner/agent has agreed that the place is still in good condition, simply don't pay the final month

obviously we don't wreck the place in the meantime...............
Maybe I'm missing a trick then and should be keeping the finance
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

No it was not written in, it was our choice it was easier to transfer money every 3 months from the UK than do it monthly.

We were just assuming that we would be here long term 2+yrs but I would feel more comfortable going for a bigger house and more disabled friendly than have my parents living in their own place and worrying should anything happen to either of them the other would be stuffed.

As for why anyone should pay when it was not necessary, why not it shows good faith, good manners and if anything is needed to be replaced ie fridge freezer it does not damage their pockets, so I would expect a replacement quickly.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:39 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

In France, the landlords keep the bond to pay for unpaid electricity/water/tax etc... bills and to repair any obvious damage, but "normal" wear and tear isn't taken into account. They reimburse what's left after about a month. The inventory is done on the day of departure and the tenant isn't allowed to hold back the last month's rent.
My Parisian daughter has never had problems getting her bond back, with any deductions justified by the bills.
A lot depends on how honest the landlord is, but she's always struck lucky...
The same should apply in Spain, which has similar legislation to France.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:58 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

No it was not written in, it was our choice it was easier to transfer money every 3 months from the UK than do it monthly.

We were just assuming that we would be here long term 2+yrs but I would feel more comfortable going for a bigger house and more disabled friendly than have my parents living in their own place and worrying should anything happen to either of them the other would be stuffed.

As for why anyone should pay when it was not necessary, why not it shows good faith, good manners and if anything is needed to be replaced ie fridge freezer it does not damage their pockets, so I would expect a replacement quickly.
This is a business arrangement, you dont need to show good manners, all you need to do is meet your obligations as stated in the contract, ie pay your rent when it is due.

People will be taking bets on the outcome of this one, because another thing you have to consider is wether the landlady has the readies to give you your money back even if she wanted to.

If you think that they would struggle to replace a fridge freezer at short notice, how do you expect them to have a greater sum to hand?

Pay as you go that is what the wise do (not talking about mobiles) and even the biggest crooks in the land Telefonic and Iberdonga dont expect anyone to pay in advance.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:19 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by JLFS
This is a business arrangement, you dont need to show good manners, all you need to do is meet your obligations as stated in the contract, ie pay your rent when it is due.

People will be taking bets on the outcome of this one, because another thing you have to consider is wether the landlady has the readies to give you your money back even if she wanted to.

If you think that they would struggle to replace a fridge freezer at short notice, how do you expect them to have a greater sum to hand?

Pay as you go that is what the wise do (not talking about mobiles) and even the biggest crooks in the land Telefonic and Iberdonga dont expect anyone to pay in advance.
Oh yes they do or have you never had an estimated bill which always seems to be in their favour
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes they do or have you never had an estimated bill which always seems to be in their favour
Yes, but you don't pay the estimate, you read it yourself and get the bill adjusted
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:49 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm missing a trick then and should be keeping the finance
you're obviously a fair landlord, but they are few & far between

the first experience we had was they refused to return our fianza because they were going to have to redecorate - how they figured a coat of cheap paint for a 3 bedroom apartment was going to cost 1000€ I have no idea

they also decided that they would need to get a cleaner in at a cost of 100€, which we were also expected to cough up

as it happened, some good friends of ours were moving into the apartment

it was neither professionally cleaned nor painted before they moved in - it was exactly as we left it - they knew, because we helped each other move!!

we kicked up a stink in their office & got it refunded

after that, we started asking around, & we have never met anyone who did actually get the deposit back, which is why we take the route we now do

we always insist on a proper inventory, and go over it when we move out, too, so that there is no doubt

we have never yet gone as far as taking photos going in & again going out, but I do know people who have

we are always upfront about the last month, & get (usually grudging) agreement from the owner/agent

they might not be exactly happy about it, but it's never been a big problem
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you're obviously a fair landlord, but they are few & far between

the first experience we had was they refused to return our fianza because they were going to have to redecorate - how they figured a coat of cheap paint for a 3 bedroom apartment was going to cost 1000€ I have no idea

they also decided that they would need to get a cleaner in at a cost of 100€, which we were also expected to cough up

as it happened, some good friends of ours were moving into the apartment

it was neither professionally cleaned nor painted before they moved in - it was exactly as we left it - they knew, because we helped each other move!!

we kicked up a stink in their office & got it refunded

after that, we started asking around, & we have never met anyone who did actually get the deposit back, which is why we take the route we now do

we always insist on a proper inventory, and go over it when we move out, too, so that there is no doubt

we have never yet gone as far as taking photos going in & again going out, but I do know people who have

we are always upfront about the last month, & get (usually grudging) agreement from the owner/agent

they might not be exactly happy about it, but it's never been a big problem
I have only ever had 2 landlords and they both pulled the same trick. The house was not in good nick either time when we moved in. And both times we left it better than we found it. The first time the landlord kept the deposit, Well, half of it because we'd been there an extra 2 weeks, They tried every trick in the book but we had photos. In the end we thought it wasn't worth the hassle to go to law for 300 pounds as our lives were too busy. But we would now!
The second time we had a big electricity bill outstanding so when the landlords tried the same trick (even though we'd mended loads of broken fittings in their house during our stay, and painted the front and given it a lick of paint inside when we left!)we told them to stuff it. Right until that point in both cases we'd had very good relationships with both and had paid on time always by bank transfer.
I've had a lot of dealings with landlords as a voluntary community worker in the past and I can honestly say I've only met one of them that I would really trust!
Sorry landlords, but when returning deposits is concerned, none of you want to do it!
So, OP. My advice, Be fair. Leave the house in really nice clean condition. Take photos....but stay until your deposit has run out.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Sorry landlords, but when returning deposits is concerned, none of you want to do it!
So, OP. My advice, Be fair. Leave the house in really nice clean condition. Take photos....but stay until your deposit has run out.
Good advice, but dont tar all landlords with the same brush!

I've got all my deposits back either went renting in London or Spain (and I certainly didnt redecorate, not the tenants job!)

As a current landlord in London I gave my last set of tenants' deposit back straight after the inspection.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cricketman
Good advice, but dont tar all landlords with the same brush!

I've got all my deposits back either went renting in London or Spain (and I certainly didnt redecorate, not the tenants job!)

As a current landlord in London I gave my last set of tenants' deposit back straight after the inspection.
We have rented flats in both Spain and UK and every time there is an issue with the return of the rent deposit, even though we have left the flat spotless.

On the other hand, as a 'landlord' of a holiday let in Spain we have never deducted anything from our guests' security deposit, putting the odd 'stained sheet' or broken cup or glass down to 'wear and tear' and replacing things at our own cost. Obviously if the damage was major, we might have to reconsider this policy.

Last edited by noelrosie; Feb 25th 2011 at 3:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.