Reload this Page >

learning Spanish

learning Spanish

Old May 5th 2008, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: learning Spanish

Originally Posted by me me
Usted is used a lot more than people think, but without ever saying the "U" word. When you are asked "como esta" directly about yourself instead of a third person, usted is being used. It is just not so obvious, but when you are asked a question without the "S" on the verb, you are being spoken to in the formal way.
True but this is also the Andaluz dialect, to drop the s so in reality it is very difficult in Andaluz to tell the difference. We were told in class that there is a slight difference between "como esta" and como "esta.......h", the latter said to be how to drop the s in Andaluz. (And yes I know there is no S in Andaluz)
Old May 5th 2008, 7:52 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
True but this is also the Andaluz dialect, to drop the s so in reality it is very difficult in Andaluz to tell the difference. We were told in class that there is a slight difference between "como esta" and como "esta.......h", the latter said to be how to drop the s in Andaluz. (And yes I know there is no S in Andaluz)
I think it is one of the most difficult parts of the country to understand the locals. You have my sympathy..........:t humbsup:
Old May 5th 2008, 7:54 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Usted is used a lot more than people think
Which people?
Old May 5th 2008, 7:57 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bokeh
Which people?
English people.
Old May 5th 2008, 8:06 pm
Banned

I should say non, Italian, Portugese, French and Spanish speakers, I have no idea if "Germanic languages" use the equivalent of Usted.
Old May 5th 2008, 8:37 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

I have no idea if "Germanic languages" use the equivalent of Usted.
In English in extreme formality the identical construction to Usted (third person verb termination and formal title) can be used. English also inherited the French model of formality using the second person plural (you with plural second person termination as opposed to thou with second person singular termination: "Thou shalt not kill", which has now been dropped in most versions of Modern English in favour of the formal version).
Old May 5th 2008, 9:42 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

In German there most assuredly is.

The third person plural instead of the 2nd person singular.

For example to a stranger you would use 'Wo wohnen Sie', but to a child, ' Wo wohnst'

Japanese also has VERY formal differences between the personal and the polite.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

As for detail and perfection, well it all depends on your take on the subject. For some, learning the language is a tool to get by, and why should they bother to learn any more than that.
For me, a language is more than a tool. I like to be forever polishing and improving it so that it fits better and better.
To illustrate in English, it's the difference between 'would you like', and 'do you want'. 'Different from', and 'different to', whether you use ' less than ten' or 'fewer than ten'.
If you can't understand the differences in English, then you are unlikely to give a sh*t about Spanish as a thing of beauty.
I agree that correct use of a language can be a thing of beauty, but do you want to get on as an expat in Spain, or sit around perfecting the lingo? It’s a personal choice.

This certainly appears to have become a ‘sweat the detail’ thread, and it’s possible that ‘go for it and speak’ isn’t your thing. As regards correct English, ‘different from’ and ‘different than’ are correct – ‘different to’ is only a (typically British) colloquial misuse.

I agree with polishing and improving, but not to the point where you never get out and use it.

I think it is one of the most difficult parts of the country to understand the locals.
Very true, but that also makes it one of the best places to get out, join in and have a good time. IMHO life’s too short to sweat the detail and miss out.
Old May 7th 2008, 8:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by toyboy23
correct use of a language
There's no such thing.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

We wanted to get formal spanish lessons when we arrived here in October but the town hall are pushing free catalan lessons, you have to pay for spanish. One place has quoted us 30 euros an hour which seems a bit expensive so we are still looking.

In the meantime we got spanish TV installed - Canal + and its brilliant. I have learnt so much watching stupid game shows its been a real help. You can change the language on foreign programmes and movies - usually american but some british so we still get to see quite a lot in English.

As for the 'usted' debate - I've been on the receiving end of it at the dentists and the water company office and when I asked directions from a policeman but our neighbours are all less formal. Everyone has been really helpful everytime I've tried out my elementary spanish and I wouldn't dream of starting off in english first or asking them if they speak english. Just imagine how you would feel if a foreigner did that to you in the UK
Old May 8th 2008, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute

thats the way to do it Rambling Rose. Keep on thinking like that and you will soon be jabbering away ten to the dozen.