British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Learn Spanish gestures! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/learn-spanish-gestures-618831/)

steviedeluxe Jul 7th 2009 2:24 pm

Learn Spanish gestures!

Learn Spanish gestures - courtesy of the Guardian:

pictures

hitchw Jul 7th 2009 2:27 pm

Re: Learn Spanish gestures!

one of those doesnt look like really really good to me...looks like the universal symbol for something else...!

dunmovin Jul 7th 2009 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by hitchw (Post 7731407)
one of those doesnt look like really really good to me...looks like the universal symbol for something else...!

would that be the symbol for bANKERS:rofl::rofl::rofl:

marisol Jul 7th 2009 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 7731397)

pictures

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
its great!!! i thought those gestures were the same in anywhere else

Hondon Rock n Roll Jul 7th 2009 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 7731397)

pictures

There was I thinking they were going to be rude gestures.:rofl:

marisol Jul 7th 2009 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Hondon Rock n Roll (Post 7731914)

No, not at all. I think in Spain we gesticulate a lot, less than the italians but a lot anyway :)

mikelincs Jul 7th 2009 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hondon Rock n Roll (Post 7731914)

number 4 looks a bit dodgy though...:lol:

marisol Jul 7th 2009 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 7731928)
number 4 looks a bit dodgy though...:lol:

no, no really, belive me. Its very normal, dont worry, you can do it :)

jdr Jul 7th 2009 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by marisol (Post 7731940)
no, no really, belive me. Its very normal, dont worry, you can do it :)

If you did it in England, it would mean *anker. lol

Number two is the signing meaning for look.

digdug Jul 7th 2009 7:41 pm

no 3 is definitely "shes got massive melons"
sorry girls....:D

Dick Dasterdly Jul 8th 2009 6:34 am

The typical Brit reaction to number two certainly explains why the Spanish get to think we are aggresive....................mistakenly,of course.....:frown:

marisol Jul 8th 2009 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 7732099)
If you did it in England, it would mean *anker. lol

Number two is the signing meaning for look.

what does *anker.lol mean?:(

Fortaleza Jul 8th 2009 6:48 pm

Marisol, I'm not going to tell you. Suffice to say I'm sure Fer may know of it, certainly from his teenager days and watching 'Los Angeles de Charlie'!!!!

But anyway, I'm glad they have taken away from the link that awful, insulting and erroneous description of the 4th gesture. They have yet to put in a new one so it is just a repeat of the 3rd. Yet, Marisol, I'm sure you share my disgust when they said it was "Güeno, güeno, güeno" (pronounced more or less 'When-o') and put it forward as legitimate Spanish, then tried to say it was a dialect to mean 'Bueno, Bueno, bueno'. What dialect????????????? They said it was a gesture more appropriate for southern Spain. Eh??????????? I've lived in the north and the centre and the south and that gesture is widely used. As for 'Güeno' - they try to suggest it is from the Andaluz dialect (although not in so many words). Since when was Andaluz nothing more than an accent, a regional thing. Is Geordie a dialect of English??? Of course not. Yes, they put their own slant on words etc, but I'm sure if a Newcastle man were to write what he says as 'I divenae na' he would write it as 'I didn't know'.

marisol Jul 8th 2009 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Fortaleza (Post 7735199)
Marisol, I'm not going to tell you. Suffice to say I'm sure Fer may know of it, certainly from his teenager days and watching 'Los Angeles de Charlie'!!!!

But anyway, I'm glad they have taken away from the link that awful, insulting and erroneous description of the 4th gesture. They have yet to put in a new one so it is just a repeat of the 3rd. Yet, Marisol, I'm sure you share my disgust when they said it was "Güeno, güeno, güeno" (pronounced more or less 'When-o') and put it forward as legitimate Spanish, then tried to say it was a dialect to mean 'Bueno, Bueno, bueno'. What dialect????????????? They said it was a gesture more appropriate for southern Spain. Eh??????????? I've lived in the north and the centre and the south and that gesture is widely used. As for 'Güeno' - they try to suggest it is from the Andaluz dialect (although not in so many words). Since when was Andaluz nothing more than an accent, a regional thing. Is Geordie a dialect of English??? Of course not. Yes, they put their own slant on words etc, but I'm sure if a Newcastle man were to write what he says as 'I divenae na' he would write it as 'I didn't know'.

Hi Fortaleza
As you say, güeno is nothing, nobody says that neither in Andalucia nor anywhere else, nevertheless, the "gesto" is very normal, is used many times and its not rude. Its like when you put your thumb up as saying that everything is ok.
I didnt understand the awful words that go with it but many times i dont understand anything, really. I dont know if someone is telling something wrong or not but its not your fault but mine.
by the way, i have sent a PM
marisol

Fortaleza Jul 8th 2009 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by marisol (Post 7735309)
Hi Fortaleza
As you say, güeno is nothing, nobody says that neither in Andalucia nor anywhere else, nevertheless, the "gesto" is very normal, is used many times and its not rude. Its like when you put your thumb up as saying that everything is ok.
I didnt understand the awful words that go with it but many times i dont understand anything, really. I dont know if someone is telling something wrong or not but its not your fault but mine.
by the way, i have sent a PM
marisol

Ah, it's just the usual, ill-informed nonsense, as I explained in the PM. A good Madrileña like you would not necessarily be pleased to be told by a British newspaper that of course you are spelling 'Bueno' incorrectly when in southern Spain, that there is of course a whole dialect in southern Spain that
will clearly come as a surprise to you, and finally, this hand gesture to signify that everything is fantastic is exclusive to just the south. Still, it was the Guardian, not exactly famous for getting things right!!!!!

And tell the truth, now you know................. Fer & Los Angeles de Charlie????????? :rofl::rofl: