Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Learn from my mistake

Learn from my mistake

Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Learn from my mistake

Has anyone been short changed by the Caja Murcia ‘hole in the wall’ machines and successfully been credited back the money?
With the benefit of hindsight I should have checked the amount immediately and taken a receipt – I did neither, after many years of problem free cash withdrawals I had become complacent. But I won’t be making that mistake again.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Learn from my mistake

Originally Posted by spainrico
Has anyone been short changed by the Caja Murcia ‘hole in the wall’ machines and successfully been credited back the money?
With the benefit of hindsight I should have checked the amount immediately and taken a receipt – I did neither, after many years of problem free cash withdrawals I had become complacent. But I won’t be making that mistake again.
Our daughter had this problem last year when she withdrew money from a Caja Madrid hole in the wall bank in Sevilla. She contacted her own UK bank (Nationwide) and they sorted it all out for her ... even recrediting her UK bank account with the disputed amount until Caja Madrid had investigated!

I am sure that the amount of cash left in the machine at the end of the day/night/shift will not tally with the computer records of amounts requested.
There must be some reconciliation done. Hopefully you will get your problem sorted out too!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your post - sounds like Nationwide gave you a good service.

Doubtless the banks frequently get people thinking they have been short changed when in fact they spent it and forgot.

But I know because I immediately left Orihuela to drive back to Torrevieja and came straight home the money was not spent. So perhaps the next user got lucky!

Anyway Caja Murcia just phoned, following my polite confIrmation that I would be closing my account and investments to request that I write a letter so that it is in writing and then we shall see...

Had the machine, which OK was inside the bank but besides a huge window where people can easily see in (why do they do that? and not use some window decal to offer some privacy) I would not have left the office in such a hurry and would have checked the amount. Now I shall also always ask for a receipt as well.

If you don't get mugged outside you do inside!

Last edited by spainrico; Sep 14th 2009 at 2:08 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I always check the money when taking cash out. It happened to me many years ago in the UK. They had to wait for the end of day balance but I did get my money in the end.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am delighted to report that the Caja Murcia bank, following my putting the events in writing to them at their request, have agreed to credit me with the 'lost' 50€.

So all is well that ends well - and well done Caja Murcia, good customer service.

Needless to say that I shall be checking the cash dispensed and printing a receipt every time from now on.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 1:42 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I am delighted to report that the Caja Murcia bank, following my putting the events in writing to them at their request, have agreed to credit me with the 'lost' 50€.

So all is well that ends well - and well done Caja Murcia, good customer service.

Needless to say that I shall be checking the cash dispensed and printing a receipt every time from now on.
Blimey! Congratulations
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks.

My branch (not where I had the problem) requested a letter detailing events which I wrote and after a few days - a result.