British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Latest statement on UK pension uprating (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/latest-statement-uk-pension-uprating-927675/)

spainrico Sep 4th 2019 6:26 am

Latest statement on UK pension uprating

The Living in Spain Gov.UK site was recently updated to explain the plan for pension uprating:

'Pensions after Brexit
The UK government will continue to pay a State Pension to those eligible in the EU after Brexit. Your UK State Pension will be uprated in April 2020, 2021 and 2022 if you live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

If there is a deal and you work and pay social security contributions in Spain, you will still be able to add your UK social security contributions towards your Spanish pension. This will happen even if you claim your pension after the end of the implementation period.

If there’s no deal, the Spanish government has proposed that they will take into account periods of work in the UK before Brexit when calculating your Spanish pension. We will update this guidance when there is a formal agreement on this.

Read our guidance on pensions if there’s no deal.'

So it will continue for a few years and then?

el collado kid Sep 4th 2019 7:24 am

Re: Latest statement on UK pension uprating

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12731330)
The Living in Spain Gov.UK site was recently updated to explain the plan for pension uprating:

'Pensions after Brexit
The UK government will continue to pay a State Pension to those eligible in the EU after Brexit. Your UK State Pension will be uprated in April 2020, 2021 and 2022 if you live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

If there is a deal and you work and pay social security contributions in Spain, you will still be able to add your UK social security contributions towards your Spanish pension. This will happen even if you claim your pension after the end of the implementation period.

If there’s no deal, the Spanish government has proposed that they will take into account periods of work in the UK before Brexit when calculating your Spanish pension. We will update this guidance when there is a formal agreement on this.

hi. wife said thanks for the info.interesting

Barriej Sep 8th 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12731330)

'Pensions after Brexit

And then it will roll over to the same system if you had moved to Aus or certain Caribbean islands and lots of other places in the world (including the EU when and if we ever get B sorted.)
Your pension amount would be fixed at the sum you would have recieved if you had retired the year you moved countries.

If i were to retire to Barbados now (I'm 57) when I reach retiring age I will get £168.00 a week (he current pension rate) and not whatever sum it has gone up too in 2029

Fred James Sep 8th 2019 12:22 pm

You are assuming that the UK will not have a bilateral agreement on social services with Spain within that period of time. Bearing in mind the large number of Spanish residents in the UK, I would expect that to happen.

Barriej Sep 8th 2019 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12733133)
You are assuming that the UK will not have a bilateral agreement on social services with Spain within that period of time. Bearing in mind the large number of Spanish residents in the UK, I would expect that to happen.

I would tend to agree with you but for the fact that at the moment it needs sane people to make agreements and we are devoid of anyone in power who seems to be able to even think straight.

atlasthemonk Oct 6th 2019 11:20 pm

barriej £168 / week......if in 10 years time the pound equals the euro will he recieve 168 euros o r if in ten years time the pound is worth two euros will he recieve (2 x 168) 336 euros ?

bobd22 Oct 7th 2019 9:24 am

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk (Post 12744820)
barriej £168 / week......if in 10 years time the pound equals the euro will he recieve 168 euros o r if in ten years time the pound is worth two euros will he recieve (2 x 168) 336 euros ?

Currency rates are unpredictable yes, however if one gets the annual pension rises then whatever the exchange rate equals you will be better off!

atlasthemonk Oct 8th 2019 3:19 pm

just to add....in the last 25 years the inflation rate has averaged 2.8%...if this is compounded over the 25 years = 100% ie the purchaseing power has halved !