Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
If you already have a green card you DON'T have to do anything . The new procedure is only for new applications ( 6th of July). You CAN apply for a TIE to exchange your green card but it is voluntary.

los nacionales del Reino Unido, los miembros de sus familias y cualesquiera otras personas que residan en España con arreglo a las condiciones establecidas en el Acuerdo no tendrán la obligación de solicitar una nueva condición de residente ni someterse, por tanto, a un nuevo proceso de documentación, pero tendrán el derecho a recibir, de conformidad con las previsiones de la Directiva*2004/38, un documento de residencia que expresamente recoja su condición de beneficiario del Acuerdo de retirada.
You are quite right. It is not compulsory and as far as the new legislation is concerned an existing residencia will suffice but in my experience especially with the bureaucracy here when you want to sell your house or car someone will ask for the new TIE card. I personally am not risking it knowing how they love their paperwork.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest on Residency from British Embassy Brits in Spain

Originally Posted by Joppa
As a British citizen, you still need your passport to travel internationally. Even within Schengen with no border controls, you are still expected to carry your passport (and TIE/green certificate).
I'm a British Citizen and I can travel anywhere in Europe on my ID card issued in Gibraltar
Old Jul 8th 2020, 4:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That’s because you live in Gib and they issue ID cards. The UK does not so the only legal ID is a passport. The TIE card is not an ID card, in Spain the legal ID card is a DNI, only issued to Spanish citizens.

That said, the TIE is more likely to be accepted as proof of ID in Spain than the green form/card but not outside Spain.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 8th 2020 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boulevard
I made my appointment this morning with the Policia Nacional to get my TIE card having had the green scrap of paper for an eternity. Form EX23 done. I've already paid the €12 and done the form 790. The man on the phone was surprisingly informative and knowledgable (I'm not used to that with Spanish bureaucracy!). So far the process has been surprisingly painless. Can't wait to get my new card :-)
Can you please explain how you paid the 12€ and what bank you paid it..thank you.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 5:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Download and complete form 790-12 and take it to any bank and pay. It is €12 because that is what a Spanish citizen pays to renew his DNI.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 8th 2020 at 5:58 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been researching this from the point off my wife making an initial application as I have residencia (green card) but my wife hasn't but will be joining me full time in Spain ASAP. The extranjero office in Málaga have been helpful replying and answering my email. She will need to obtain a cita for Málaga extranjero office to present the ex 20 form and proof of income passport etc. Am I correct in thinking we don't need to submit a 790_12 at this point? They have made no mention of that. I then understand they will contact us at some point informing us to attend the National Police station for the issue of the TIE card and to do this we need to show her passport a completed ex23 and the 790-12 showing that we have paid at the bank. Anyone know if what I have outlined re 790-12 is correct I. E. Only needed to present once?

Last edited by bobd22; Jul 8th 2020 at 6:21 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Can you please explain how you paid the 12€ and what bank you paid it..thank you.
Chris here's a link to complete the 790-12. You can fill it in online generate and print the form take it to bank pay and they can stamp it or whatever to show paid. You choose the right reason under TIE and it generates the amount itself.
https://sede.policia.gob.es/Tasa790_012/
Old Jul 9th 2020, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
Chris here's a link to complete the 790-12. You can fill it in online generate and print the form take it to bank pay and they can stamp it or whatever to show paid. You choose the right reason under TIE and it generates the amount itself.
https://sede.policia.gob.es/Tasa790_012/
Thank you Bob. I have asked two different local agents who said they could do this for me, one quoted 120€ and the other 82 plus IVA so would rather do it myself. We used to wait outside the Police Station in years gone by at 4.30 in the morning to make sure we got in! All part of the fun.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you Bob. I have asked two different local agents who said they could do this for me, one quoted 120€ and the other 82 plus IVA so would rather do it myself. We used to wait outside the Police Station in years gone by at 4.30 in the morning to make sure we got in! All part of the fun.
One further thing Chris you need to present 3 copies of the printed form to the bank for payment, one of which the bank keeps itself.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
One further thing Chris you need to present 3 copies of the printed form to the bank for payment, one of which the bank keeps itself.
Can you tell me which one of the boxes do I tick under the TIE section as I don’t understand it. Thank you. I did print three copies off and wondered why!
Old Jul 9th 2020, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can you tell me which one of the boxes do I tick under the TIE section as I don’t understand it. Thank you. I did print three copies off and wondered why!
I'm afraid I am not sure on that one hopefully somone else can advise. My situation is different as i am researching for my wife who will have to do the 2 phase initial application.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Tarjetas de identidad de extranjeros (TIE) y certificados de registro de residentes comunitarios. .TIE que documenta la primera concesión de la autorización de residencia temporal, de estancia o para trabajadores transfronterizos. .TIE que documenta la renovación de la autorización de residencia temporal o la prórroga de la estancia o de la autorización para trabajadores transfronterizos. .TIE que documenta la autorización de residencia y trabajo de mujeres víctimas de la violencia de género y víctimas de la trata de seres humanos. .TIE que documenta la autorización de residencia de larga duración o de residencia de larga duración-UE. .Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la Unión.

Alien Identity Cards (TIE) and Community Resident Registration Certificates.
.TIE documenting the first granting of the authorisation for temporary residence, stay or for cross-border workers.
.TIE documenting the renewal of the temporary residence permit or the extension of the stay or the authorisation for cross-border workers.
.TIE documenting residence and work permits for women victims of gender-based violence and victims of trafficking in human beings.
.TIE documenting the EU-long-term residence or residence permit.
.Certificate of registration of a Community resident or Family Residence Card of a citizen of the Union.

Depends on your situation
Old Jul 11th 2020, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
Personally I will change to a TIE as soon as possible as it gives you a card which, like the old residency card, is acceptable for ID. The green form/card is not.

Most long term residents that I know feel the same way.
I agree with you Fred and having checked out how to complete the forms we did the tax form 790-12 online and paid for it in our local bank, 12€, then made an appointment for next Wednesday in out local office with no problem and on the appointment slip it states Brexit so they seem to be well prepared. At a saving of 120€ which a local agent was asking to do the same work I feel it is well worth it. My advice is to get it done. It is not clogging up the system as the system is waiting for you and it is so easy. Thank you to those on this forum who have made useful contributions and form filling guidance.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In relation to the 790-12 if completing it for initial issue of the TIE for someone obtaining residency for the first time is the payment box to be completed the same one which costs 12 euro or is the first one in that catagory which reads Tramitación de la solicitud de autorización o visado de tránsito en frontera and Costs 15.76 euros?
Old Jul 11th 2020, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Download and complete form 790-12 and take it to any bank and pay. It is €12 because that is what a Spanish citizen pays to renew his DNI.
Do you know which option should be chosen on the form 790-12 for the TIE to be exchanged for a permanent resident certificate? I would have thought it should be the one for a TIE de larga duración, but that comes up with a fee of €21.44. There doesn't seem to be a specific option for our circumstances. Can anyone advise please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.