Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Latest Brexit info from British Embassy Madrid

Latest Brexit info from British Embassy Madrid

Old Jan 28th 2020, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Latest Brexit info from British Embassy Madrid

A message from British ConsulSarah-Jane Morris to UK nationals in Spain

The Withdrawal Agreement which sets out how the UK leaves the EU has now passed into UK law, which, once the European Parliament has ratified it this week, means that the UK is leaving the EU with a deal on 31 January.

This is very positive news for UK nationals who are resident in Spain, as the Withdrawal Agreement contains some really important protections for your rights:

You will be able to continue to live and work in Spain

UK state pensioners will continue to have lifelong healthcare as long as they remain living in Spain. This also applies to residents who claim a UK state pension in the future

Your UK state pension will continue to be uprated

You will be able to exchange your driving licence until the end of 2020 without taking a driving test and your Spanish licence will be accepted in the UK when you visit

Those rights will be protected for as long as you live in Spain, provided you are legally resident here by the end of 2020.

The Withdrawal Agreement also provides a Transition Period (from 31 January until 31 December) during which time nothing will change for UK Nationals in Spain.

Sarah-Jane Morris said: “The approval of the Withdrawal Agreement is a very important step for UK nationals living here. It provides reassurance on key rights, such as being able to continue to live and work here, and for pensioners to have lifelong healthcare and uprated pensions. Alongside those rights, you have obligations – the main one being to make sure you are registered with a green residency certificate. This remains a valid document after 31 January and we will communicate any details on future residency processes once we have them. For further information visit the Living in SpainGuide on gov.uk”.

To view,the latest video message from HMA Hugh Elliott to UK nationals visit:

To put your questions to HMA Hugh Elliott and Regional Consular Policy Adviser Lorna Geddie join our Facebook Live Q&A on Friday 31 January at midday (CET) on facebook.com/britsinspain

Information for UK nationals can be found at gov.uk/livinginspain

Last edited by spainrico; Jan 28th 2020 at 10:07 am.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest Brexit info from British Embassy Madrid

Think you might be wrong about the bit below.

Acording to the Spanish version of the dvla 31st Jan is the cut off. If you haven't started the process you will have 9 months to do the spanish test.
We move in July and I've already started preparing for the theory test.
If what you are saying is true I don't need the test.
​​​​

You will be able to exchange your driving licence until the end of 2020 without taking a driving test and your Spanish licence will be accepted in the UK when you visit

Old Jan 28th 2020, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej

Acording to the Spanish version of the dvla 31st Jan is the cut off. If you haven't started the process you will have 9 months to do the spanish test.
​​​​

There is some confusion re driving licence exchange between the the official government sites. UK says all driving licence rules (one presumes including exchange) remain the same up 31 December 2020. The Spanish Government web site (linked to from UK government web site ) says you can exchange up 31 January 2020? Both can't be correct !
Old Jan 28th 2020, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

My post is a verbatim press release from the UK Embassy Madrid issued this morning so one would think it is 100% accurate. I think the DL statement is missing the fact you need to apply for the exchange prior to 31-1-20 (which is what I think I read elsewhere and I think other threads cover this point)

There is a live Q&A session on Friday so I expect this issue will be raised.

IMO - If you become a Spanish resident in July 2020 you will have missed the cutoff for applying to start the exchange process and so I assume you will need to take a test at some stage.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Spanish DGT site says this (translated via Google)
https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/permisos-...k/index.shtml#If the BREXIT takes place, the United Kingdom will cease to belong to the European Union, so all traffic agreements within the EU will no longer be valid for citizens of the United Kingdom. Among other things, that translates into the fact that permits from the United Kingdom will only be valid for driving in Spain during the first 9 months after BREXIT, provided they are in force.

If you want to continue driving in our country, it will be necessary to make an exchange (homologation), renewal or replacement of your permit for an equivalent Spanish one, and you must deliver the original.

The DGT implements a protocol that allows you to exchange your UK permit to the Spanish equivalent under the same conditions prior to BREXIT, without having to wait for the signing of a new agreement between countries, or having to obtain a new one Spanish driving license.

To do this you must be a driver's license of the United Kingdom, have your habitual residence in Spain and submit the application before January 31, 2020. In this way, whatever happens that day, you will be guaranteed to attend to make the exchange of your permit for a period of 9 months from the date of the BREXIT.

At the time of the procedure, the original permit will be withdrawn and we will give you a provisional permit. In a period of approximately one month and a half you will have your definitive permission. You do not have to worry about going to your Headquarters or Traffic Office, we will send it to you by mail at home.

You can check, in a telematic way, the processing status in which your permission is located.

Remember: You must apply for the extraordinary exchange will be before January 31, 2020.

However on another page it says
DGT y el Brexit

- 'In the case of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union with a withdrawal agreement, the provisions relating to the recognition of driving licenses will continue to apply until the end of the transitional period planned on December 31, 2020.'

So given we left with a deal (I think!) maybe you now have until 31-12-20 to exchange. I handover to my more learned friends and posters....
Old Jan 28th 2020, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
The Spanish DGT site says this (translated via Google)
https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/permisos-...k/index.shtml#If the BREXIT takes place, the United Kingdom will cease to belong to the European Union, so all traffic agreements within the EU will no longer be valid for citizens of the United Kingdom. Among other things, that translates into the fact that permits from the United Kingdom will only be valid for driving in Spain during the first 9 months after BREXIT, provided they are in force.

If you want to continue driving in our country, it will be necessary to make an exchange (homologation), renewal or replacement of your permit for an equivalent Spanish one, and you must deliver the original.

The DGT implements a protocol that allows you to exchange your UK permit to the Spanish equivalent under the same conditions prior to BREXIT, without having to wait for the signing of a new agreement between countries, or having to obtain a new one Spanish driving license.

To do this you must be a driver's license of the United Kingdom, have your habitual residence in Spain and submit the application before January 31, 2020. In this way, whatever happens that day, you will be guaranteed to attend to make the exchange of your permit for a period of 9 months from the date of the BREXIT.

At the time of the procedure, the original permit will be withdrawn and we will give you a provisional permit. In a period of approximately one month and a half you will have your definitive permission. You do not have to worry about going to your Headquarters or Traffic Office, we will send it to you by mail at home.

You can check, in a telematic way, the processing status in which your permission is located.

Remember: You must apply for the extraordinary exchange will be before January 31, 2020.

However on another page it says
DGT y el Brexit

- 'In the case of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union with a withdrawal agreement, the provisions relating to the recognition of driving licenses will continue to apply until the end of the transitional period planned on December 31, 2020.'

So given we left with a deal (I think!) maybe you now have until 31-12-20 to exchange. I handover to my more learned friends and posters....
And that's why I'm confused. I read the same thing.
My solicitor in Spain who is going to deal with our residency stuff. Also said they are confused.

I'm going to pay some euros to get the demo tests and handbook anyway. If it ends up that I can exchange my licence. Well at least I will have learnt something about Spanish highway code.

Old Jan 28th 2020, 3:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least I will have learnt something about Spanish highway code.
That's simple - just never give way to anything unless it is significantly bigger than you!
Old Jan 28th 2020, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​

Is your spanish high enough to do the practical
My ex wife speaks fluent spanish and said it was stressful?

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 28th 2020 at 9:47 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jan 28th 2020, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

The driving test theory could be done in English but this was when UK was member. Spanish have to do UK test in English. Not sure if the Spanish will insist test in Spain is in Spanish. Welcome to the reality of Brexit!!!
Old Jan 28th 2020, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That's simple - just never give way to anything unless it is significantly bigger than you!
Old Jan 28th 2020, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chipmonk

My ex wife speaks fluent spanish and said it was stressful?[/QUOTE]

I have basic Spanish. If its not possible to take the test. Then I will find another way to travel around.

The flat is close to a reasonable town. Might just get on my bike...

All of my plans include at least one contingency.
And everything I've done so far has been based on being a 3rd country citizen. So anything that I get as an ex EU is a bonus.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 28th 2020 at 9:49 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

GOV.UK now updated with a good easy to understand guide to the situation now the Brexit deal agreed

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...tent=immediate
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I have basic Spanish. If its not possible to take the test. Then I will find another way to travel around.

The flat is close to a reasonable town. Might just get on my bike...

All of my plans include at least one contingency.
And everything I've done so far has been based on being a 3rd country citizen. So anything that I get as an ex EU is a bonus.

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 30th 2020 at 2:44 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

This was issued by British Embassy Madrid and released via Facebook Brits in Spain page yesterday (29-1-20)

'We know there has been some confusion around the exchange of UK driving licences and whether you need to start the process by 31 January. The information currently on the DGT website referring to the need to register your details by 31 January would apply only to a no-deal scenario. The UK is set to leave the EU with a deal under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement. In practice, this means that the rules around the exchange of UK licences will remain the same during the transition period. You will have until 31 December to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish one under the current rules, so there is no need to worry if you are unable to start the process before 31 January. But don't leave it till the last minute - book an appointment on dgt.es as soon as you can. Remember you can exchange your licence anywhere in Spain - it doesn't have to be where you are officially resident. Once you have made the exchange, your Spanish licence will be accepted in the UK when you visit and you can exchange it for a UK licence again should you return to the UK permanently.'
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spainrico
This was issued by British Embassy Madrid and released via Facebook Brits in Spain page yesterday (29-1-20)

'We know there has been some confusion around the exchange of UK driving licences and whether you need to start the process by 31 January. The information currently on the DGT website referring to the need to register your details by 31 January would apply only to a no-deal scenario. The UK is set to leave the EU with a deal under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement. In practice, this means that the rules around the exchange of UK licences will remain the same during the transition period. You will have until 31 December to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish one under the current rules, so there is no need to worry if you are unable to start the process before 31 January. But don't leave it till the last minute - book an appointment on dgt.es as soon as you can. Remember you can exchange your licence anywhere in Spain - it doesn't have to be where you are officially resident. Once you have made the exchange, your Spanish licence will be accepted in the UK when you visit and you can exchange it for a UK licence again should you return to the UK permanently.'
I got that as well. I hope its true...

​​Going to wait and see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.