Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Late IBI Payment

Late IBI Payment

Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all
Default Late IBI Payment

Some advice needed - I know nothing about IBI as I rent here.

A friend of my partner who owns an apartment in Nerja has an IBI payment due tomorrow, 9th Sep. She has asked my partner to contact the Patronato office to see if the payment can be delayed without penalty - she will not be in Spain until October.

Looking on the bill and the patronato website I see no mention of this possibilty - and as there are many ways to pay I imagine the request will be refused. As it is me that will have to go to the office to ask I was wondering if anyone has successfully given an excuse that might prevent the fine! If not then it is the owner's fault and she will have to take her medicine.

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:00 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Late IBI Payment

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
Some advice needed - I know nothing about IBI as I rent here.

A friend of my partner who owns an apartment in Nerja has an IBI payment due tomorrow, 9th Sep. She has asked my partner to contact the Patronato office to see if the payment can be delayed without penalty - she will not be in Spain until October.

Looking on the bill and the patronato website I see no mention of this possibilty - and as there are many ways to pay I imagine the request will be refused. As it is me that will have to go to the office to ask I was wondering if anyone has successfully given an excuse that might prevent the fine! If not then it is the owner's fault and she will have to take her medicine.

Thanks

Around here (Valencia/Alicante region), you have 'till 10th October to pay.

If it is paid late then penalties start to be applied ) I think 20% per month (??). Usually, there is no wavering on this.

By-the-way, IBI is normally paid to the town hall but I guess it might be different in some places.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

Thanks for the reply. In Malaga province it seems payments can be made online via UNICAJA if you are a client - or at the town hall, or by standing order.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if the 'fines' are decided regionally or nationally, but a late payment where I live is only fined about a couple of euros. Nothing to worry about.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:24 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's 20% here.

It took 2 years before they issued our first IBI bills - they all had the fines added!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 12:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
I don't know if the 'fines' are decided regionally or nationally, but a late payment where I live is only fined about a couple of euros. Nothing to worry about.
I read today that our local ayntamiento is offering a discount if you pay early
Old Sep 8th 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's 20% here.

It took 2 years before they issued our first IBI bills - they all had the fines added!
Did you pay them???

It was 4 years before my first IBI was issued....but there were no fines and they waived the first year so I only had to pay 3.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I read today that our local ayntamiento is offering a discount if you pay early

I pay by direct debit monthly and there is a discount incorporated into this. Only about 1.5% or so.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Did you pay them???

It was 4 years before my first IBI was issued....but there were no fines and they waived the first year so I only had to pay 3.
No - but it took some time to sort it out!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:16 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Same here & it actually tells you on the bill how much it will be if you pay the next month after the last day. (just a little more)
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Last year (once again) the town hall made a mistake on our bill, they put the wrong account number and we didn't notice when we paid it in July.
The first we knew about it was when we arrived home one day to find a red note stuck on our letter box telling us to contact the town hall immediately as we had not paid.

We had in fact paid next doors IBI as it was his number on the bill, he refused to refund us the money as his name was not on the bill, so we had to fill out lots of forms and give my bank account number to claim the money back, they said it would take twelve months.
We then had to pay our own IBI... to which they added a fine of four euros.
Fourteen months on we are still waiting for our refund, if we ever do succeed in getting the money back I doubt there will be a refund of the fine.

It's another job for next week,... go in the town hall and give them some earache about it.

P.S.
This years mistake....they sent the bill to the house we lived in four years ago, luckily our daughter owns the house so we did receive it eventually.