Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Laser Surgery in Spain ?

Laser Surgery in Spain ?

Old Jan 21st 2022, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Yorick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laser Surgery in Spain ?

I'm sick of glasses and contact lenses aren't a good idea as I live in dry dusty Lanzarote. And I ride dirt bikes a lot and they're very dusty. So I am contemplating having them lasered.

The missus had hers done in the UK about 10 years ago but I assume that things have progressed since then.

So I'm looking for first handed experience of folks here in Spain, good or bad.

Any new procedures ? Companies to avoid ? Random info ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice
Default Re: Laser Surgery in Spain ?

I can't give you any first hand experience of Spain but no laser surgery hasn't really moved on since your wife had hers.

The two main types are still LASIK and LASEK.

What I can pass on was the advice I was given 20 years ago from a Consultant Opthalmic Surgeon I met socially and happen to mention I had refused a relatives kind offer to pay for laser eye surgery some years before because the tech was new, I was young, many potential complications were already known then and the long term effects were unknown.

​​​​​​After a lecture on the subject and the risks involved their advice was that if I ever did consider getting it done in future:

1. Only get one eye done and leave getting the other done for at least 3 months.
2. Check out the history of the surgeon overseeing the operation to make sure they are actually a qualified Opthalmic Surgeon.

​​​​​​Best

Loco

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Yorick
I'm sick of glasses and contact lenses aren't a good idea as I live in dry dusty Lanzarote. And I ride dirt bikes a lot and they're very dusty. So I am contemplating having them lasered.

The missus had hers done in the UK about 10 years ago but I assume that things have progressed since then.

So I'm looking for first handed experience of folks here in Spain, good or bad.

Any new procedures ? Companies to avoid ? Random info ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laser Surgery in Spain ?

Before we moved here to retire, I went to an optician in Northampton about having my eyes lasered. I've had glasses since I was 16 & now & again wear contact lenses.
He said "yes, we can do it, no problem, but think carefully. At your age (I was 60) you will very quickly need glasses for reading/close work".

I have to take my glasses off for reading, but wear them for that when I have contact lenses on. In the end, I decided not to have laser treatment.