Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

language troubles... your experiences?

language troubles... your experiences?

Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default language troubles... your experiences?

hello to all after a while away from here....

well so we decided a few months back that we are moving back to spain... so got some books and started teaching my OH spanish properly (well or so i thought )
but its just NOT happening, he is just not learning anything, forgets everything pretty much straigh away, and cant even read spanish as he cant even get past that i is not e (due to pronuntiation) etc.

so i was wondering.. am i doing something wrong?
i also speak to him in spanish at home, so its not all by the book.
or do some ppl simply have an inability to learn languages?

any experiences welcome.....
from a frustrated wanna be teacher!
xxx
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:23 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: language troubles... your experiences?

Yes people do have difficulties, like me However, my wife speaks 5 languages so I don't care

In all seriousness, it can be a struggle for a long time and then something just clicks into place, I still have difficulties on the phone, in groups or when they speak Valencian, but one to one I'm doing fine now
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeoc
Yes people do have difficulties, like me However, my wife speaks 5 languages so I don't care

In all seriousness, it can be a struggle for a long time and then something just clicks into place, I still have difficulties on the phone, in groups or when they speak Valencian, but one to one I'm doing fine now

hi mike, thanks for your message,
so did you struggle lots at the beginning?!
i mean... there is hope?!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:32 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

Yes, it has something to do with my brain, things that aren't logical (like languages, and women) I find very difficult to understand.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeoc
Yes, it has something to do with my brain, things that aren't logical (like languages, and women) I find very difficult to understand.
cheeky
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:51 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by featherbum

well so we decided a few months back that we are moving back to spain... so got some books and started teaching my OH spanish properly (well or so i thought )
but its just NOT happening, he is just not learning anything, forgets everything pretty much straigh away, and cant even read spanish as he cant even get past that i is not e (due to pronuntiation) etc.

xxx

My OH and I find learning Spanish very difficult but are persevering. What is your OH's preferred learning style when he is learning other things. Some people need masses of repetition, some need visual aids, some find that making things funny helps, and some find learning the very basics from childrens books sets them up.

I have found that all of the Osbourne books called 'First 1000 words' children's dictiuonaries extremely useful to learn nouns. Verbs have me really floundering and the older I get the harder I find it to remember things so this is an added hinderance.

I think that finding a style that suits his learning methods will be the real answer for you. So does he learn best visually or orally? Does he need a limited amount of words repeated until he has absorbed them before going on to the next batch? Sticking post-its on items around the house may help him with item names.

You say that you speak to him in Spanish but I wonder if you are speaking too fast and using advanced language instead of speaking slower and using simple enough language. I was once told that if you want someone to understand a concept it should be written down or spoken about in such a way that an 8 year old could understand it.

Come and teach me and my OH and you will find teaching your OH easy in comparison.

Best of Luck

Rosemary
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
My OH and I find learning Spanish very difficult but are persevering.
Its our age Rosemary, the older you get the more difficult iot is to make it stick
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

xxx
Most adult courses don't start with the reading, and focus on the conversation, introducing the reading slowly as the sounds sink in.

However, our 6 year old has a great phonics book - with all the pronunciations that you have to learn - 'La Cartilla' Primaria 1 (Santillana). You start with the simplest combinations to make up words, e.g. on page one:

pa pi pu pe po
Leading to: Pepa pio pua Pepe, etc

Every 2 pages there is another combination of letters and new words / sentences that can now be spoken. It soon builds up... These are just two of the sentences my daughter read to me tonight out of the book, sentences that I would never have attempted myself a few months ago!

César está haciendo una tarta. Le pone ciruelas, nuesces y manzanas.

Mercedes se calzó sus zapatos, se puso un lazo de terciopelo y se fue al zoo.

It's been a really useful book - it's helping us read Spanish a lot better, and our daughter can read Spanish surprisingly quickly, even when she doesn't understand all the words she sounds like a Spaniard!!!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi guys,
thanks again for your messages!

Rosemary i think you may be right, i do talk to him normally,as i would talk to a spanish person- is that wrong?
i mean, if i did it v simplified, as in for example, using the verbs in infinitive or maybe even just conjugated in present, wouldnt he learn the language wrong?

i think what the main problem is that he wants to run before he can walk (is that the right expression lol!) and he gets so easily frustrated!!
i have explained to him like, for example, it took me quite a while to be fluent in english, and that he needs to be brave and speak to spanish ppl when we are at home, but i think he worries ppl will laugh at him!

I have been laughed at so many times but hey its part of the proccess!!

Aps- are you offering me a private tutor job!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twyntub
Most adult courses don't start with the reading, and focus on the conversation, introducing the reading slowly as the sounds sink in.

However, our 6 year old has a great phonics book - with all the pronunciations that you have to learn - 'La Cartilla' Primaria 1 (Santillana). You start with the simplest combinations to make up words, e.g. on page one:

pa pi pu pe po
Leading to: Pepa pio pua Pepe, etc

Every 2 pages there is another combination of letters and new words / sentences that can now be spoken. It soon builds up... These are just two of the sentences my daughter read to me tonight out of the book, sentences that I would never have attempted myself a few months ago!

César está haciendo una tarta. Le pone ciruelas, nuesces y manzanas.

Mercedes se calzó sus zapatos, se puso un lazo de terciopelo y se fue al zoo.

It's been a really useful book - it's helping us read Spanish a lot better, and our daughter can read Spanish surprisingly quickly, even when she doesn't understand all the words she sounds like a Spaniard!!!
thanks twyntub, just looked it up and found that book online, may be worth a go!!

so can i ask you guys, what do you think is the best way to approach the language, as i guess maybe i have scared him off with my books and my teaching
would it be just talking at the beginning, or reading, or how, i mean, where do i start, as we have spent quite a long time doing these books and got nowhere and i dont wanna waste anymore time....
xxx
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

thanks twyntub, just looked it up and found that book online, may be worth a go!!

so can i ask you guys, what do you think is the best way to approach the language, as i guess maybe i have scared him off with my books and my teaching
would it be just talking at the beginning, or reading, or how, i mean, where do i start, as we have spent quite a long time doing these books and got nowhere and i dont wanna waste anymore time....
xxx
We did our Spanish course as an evening class - and you get given handouts but the main focus was listening and repeating. It's structured so that we began with 'personal information' - how to introduce yourselves, say where you live, etc.

At these early stages, you don't even worry about verbs or tenses - just learn the basic words and phrases.

As the course progressed, then we started to be introduced to some basic verbs - but even then, still very basic and always in relation to a particular situation, for example tener used in relation to shopping. Even then we only covered the present tense.

I would suggest focusing on the 'practical' side i.e. spoken words and phrases, then introduce the more technical side (written and verbs, etc) once your OH has built some confidence.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Its our age Rosemary, the older you get the more difficult iot is to make it stick
So glad that you typed stick and not thick!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:46 pm

hi guys,
thanks again for your messages!

Rosemary i think you may be right, i do talk to him normally,as i would talk to a spanish person- is that wrong?
i mean, if i did it v simplified, as in for example, using the verbs in infinitive or maybe even just conjugated in present, wouldnt he learn the language wrong?

i think what the main problem is that he wants to run before he can walk (is that the right expression lol!) and he gets so easily frustrated!!
i have explained to him like, for example, it took me quite a while to be fluent in english, and that he needs to be brave and speak to spanish ppl when we are at home, but i think he worries ppl will laugh at him!

I have been laughed at so many times but hey its part of the proccess!!

Aps- are you offering me a private tutor job!
Yes provided you have tons and tons of patience and do not expect any pay.

Rosemary
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

arent i the lucky one!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:58 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Dont go to KFC and ask for a grande polla Though its funny to wind ur non spanish speaking friends up with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.