British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Landline via Vodafone Router - How does it work? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/landline-via-vodafone-router-how-does-work-723708/)

derek500 Jul 5th 2011 4:02 pm

Landline via Vodafone Router - How does it work?

Yesterday we lost our Vodafone ADSL and we are using the back up 3g dongle.

If we plug our phone directly into a splitter on the wall socket it doesn't work, but if we plug it into the router it does.

However, if we unplug the phone cord that connects the router to the wall, the landline phone can still make and receive calls - even with the dongle not connected.

How does it do this??!!

How is it able to make and receive calls if it isn't connected to anything?

snikpoh Jul 5th 2011 4:10 pm

Re: Landline via Vodafone Router - How does it work?

Originally Posted by derek500 (Post 9476721)
Yesterday we lost our Vodafone ADSL and we are using the back up 3g dongle.

If we plug our phone directly into a splitter on the wall socket it doesn't work, but if we plug it into the router it does.

However, if we unplug the phone cord that connects the router to the wall, the landline phone can still make and receive calls - even with the dongle not connected.

How does it do this??!!

How is it able to make and receive calls if it isn't connected to anything?

I would say that this was physically impossible!

What 'phone are you using?

Fredbargate Jul 5th 2011 4:16 pm

The so called landline phone is a mobile phone.

If you kept your old landline number then anyone ringing that number will be transferred to the mobile number.
However if you ring someone it will show up as a mobile number.

The old landline is internet only, no phone connection.

derek500 Jul 5th 2011 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 9476738)
I would say that this was physically impossible!

What 'phone are you using?

An old Telefonica Domo.

derek500 Jul 5th 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 9476749)
The so called landline phone is a mobile phone.

If you kept your old landline number then anyone ringing that number will be transferred to the mobile number.
However if you ring someone it will show up as a mobile number.

The old landline is internet only, no phone connection.

Ah right. That explains it then. So when I told a Teleco tecnico yesterday, who was up a pole on the corner of my road, that my landline was fine and only the ADSL wasn't working, I was wrong!!

Fredbargate Jul 5th 2011 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by derek500 (Post 9476923)
Ah right. That explains it then. So when I told a Teleco tecnico yesterday, who was up a pole on the corner of my road, that my landline was fine and only the ADSL wasn't working, I was wrong!!

It would appear your system is different to mine.
I have a cordless phone ( Panasonic ) supplied by Vodafone which sits in a charger. This is a stand alone mobile phone although it doesn't look like one. It has a sim card and a pin number.

From what you say using an old Domo phone plugged into the router you must be using the dongle on the router as the mobile connection.

mrsjdr Jul 5th 2011 6:15 pm

Where I work we have Vodafone as the main phone, they provided us with a special phone that looks like an old dorma one, you dial the number you wish to call then press the green button and it goes through, the quality of sound is dreadful, also, whoever you are calling gets a mobile number come up on their screen. Calls to us though are still with the original telefonica number. Did have internet connection with them but went back to telefonica/movistar as very poor service.

jurdyr Jul 5th 2011 9:03 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Vodafone router work with GSM data chip system and your calls are routed throught there system as there GSM coverage is 95% of Spain , if you have a landline you reciver you calls via old cable , Ie telefonica , it cheap to used there system to put calls throught them , you have to have there router like this one for this two work

derek.j.a Jul 5th 2011 10:45 pm

We´ve just moved to vodafone.es for the landline / internet. Anyone know if it has an answerphone option and how you access it?

mrsjdr Jul 6th 2011 6:15 pm

Its has an answer phone, change language to English then record your personal message

derek.j.a Jul 6th 2011 7:06 pm

But how do I access the vodafone landline answerphone? With my previous 2 operators, Telfonica & Orange, I just picked the phone up and waited about 5 seconds and got my messages, this doesn´t work.

mrsjdr Jul 6th 2011 7:22 pm

The vodofone Lady who organized the line switched it to English, then I just clicked menu and followed the instructions, have you got a manual ? Guess if so it should be easy, if not contact vodafone, sorry can´t be of more help

petew Jul 10th 2011 3:27 pm

The "landline" is via a sim card. It connects to the vodafone system If the phone containing the sim is in your defined area (as notified to Vodafone) it functions on a landline number. If it's outside that area it functions as a mobile number. There is no wire connection for the landline.

petew Jul 10th 2011 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by mrsjdr (Post 9479474)
The vodofone Lady who organized the line switched it to English, then I just clicked menu and followed the instructions, have you got a manual ? Guess if so it should be easy, if not contact vodafone, sorry can´t be of more help

Sorry I meant to say in my first post - the easiest way to set up your answerphone is on the vodafone website. Register for "mi vodafone" and then you can change the language etc.