British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Land Registry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/land-registry-915820/)

earlyoap Aug 8th 2018 8:35 am

Land Registry

Hi All
Not been on here for a while. After the fiasco of our last attempt to have a look round https://britishexpats.com/forum/spai...tarifa-908458/ Then coming home to find our home had been destroyed by a flood. not even back in our home yet. But thats another story.
So on wards and upwards.
So back to our search I know, I know people on here have said dont buy a house to do up (I mean derelict ) But we have seen one we like. well its in an area we like.
So does Spain have like a Land Registry like the UK where you can find who owns what.
We have 2 plans
1 buy a camper and drive round for a year or 2 and have a look for some where. Yes I know we would need to come back to UK a few time for legal reasons.
or
2 Try/Find out who owns the derelict house and see 1 if its for sale and 2 could it be done up. If so could we live in the camper while we do this?
we like both plans 1st one we get to drive round Spain Second we get the joy, heart ache of a rebuild in Spain
Would like to point out at this time people often think where mad and not just for this.
rob

EsuriJohn Aug 8th 2018 11:35 am

Re: Land Registry

Originally Posted by earlyoap (Post 12544862)
Hi All
Not been on here for a while. After the fiasco of our last attempt to have a look round https://britishexpats.com/forum/spai...tarifa-908458/ Then coming home to find our home had been destroyed by a flood. not even back in our home yet. But thats another story.
So on wards and upwards.
So back to our search I know, I know people on here have said dont buy a house to do up (I mean derelict ) But we have seen one we like. well its in an area we like.
So does Spain have like a Land Registry like the UK where you can find who owns what.
We have 2 plans
1 buy a camper and drive round for a year or 2 and have a look for some where. Yes I know we would need to come back to UK a few time for legal reasons.
or
2 Try/Find out who owns the derelict house and see 1 if its for sale and 2 could it be done up. If so could we live in the camper while we do this?
we like both plans 1st one we get to drive round Spain Second we get the joy, heart ache of a rebuild in Spain
Would like to point out at this time people often think where mad and not just for this.
rob

Yes Spain does have a land register I think it is in 2 parts the “Cadastral” is a very sophisticated co-ordinate based map of the whole of Spain which breaks the total land areas down to “Parcelas” mine is around 1000sq m and is clearly identified by a parcel no R6-**. This can all be looked up on-line. The second is a paper based system located in the Land Registry office of your local town and you can walk in and ask for information on a particular property fill in a form with a reason for wanting to know (such as property purchase) pay a fee collect the papers then or later and you will get all that is registered about that property.

All derelict property does not necessarily not have an owner or is for sale. Spain has a huge diaspora over many generations and because of the forced heirship rules after a couple of generations a property could be owned by 20 or more descendants some of whom may be in South America or Canada and their whereabouts not known. Those still in Spain may want to sell but cannot because all owners need to sign the transfer! In my Town of Ayamonte I know of at least two cases like this one of which was being chased by a Spanish lady who knew all the rules but could not crack the USA inheritor. It still stands derelict in the middle of a very desirable street.

I think the local council may now have power to buy-in such property but it does not seem to be used round here.

earlyoap Aug 8th 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks.
Drive round Spain is looking good.
We our staying by the derelict house in Feb and March next year so will ask round. See if any locals know anything.The house is in what we think is a nice part of Spain. But we have only seen a narrow corridor from Bilbao to Tarifa.

Fred James Aug 8th 2018 4:28 pm

Is it just empty but otherwise intact, or is ir in really bad condition, ie no roof.

That could affect you ability to get a licence to reform it.

EsuriJohn Aug 8th 2018 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by earlyoap (Post 12545023)
Thanks.
Drive round Spain is looking good.
We our staying by the derelict house in Feb and March next year so will ask round. See if any locals know anything.The house is in what we think is a nice part of Spain. But we have only seen a narrow corridor from Bilbao to Tarifa.

if it’s a small village there may still be a chap who would be the forerunner of the Gestor, he would know.

earlyoap Aug 9th 2018 8:04 am

Well in fact its in the middle of know where. one of the reasons we like it. Nearest village is about 10 miles away. Nearest house is the hotel we stay in may even be theirs. Its one of them we have seen it a few times.
Its like we have seen it and like it and the area. But as i say we have only seen a very small part of Spain.So may be worth having our drive round. Just dont know

EsuriJohn Aug 9th 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by earlyoap (Post 12545457)
Well in fact its in the middle of know where. one of the reasons we like it. Nearest village is about 10 miles away. Nearest house is the hotel we stay in may even be theirs. Its one of them we have seen it a few times.
Its like we have seen it and like it and the area. But as i say we have only seen a very small part of Spain.So may be worth having our drive round. Just dont know

it may seem like nowhere to you but some Town will cover the area. Spain is huge with vast areas of campo with very few house but they do belong to one or other municipality. Ask at the hotel which is their Town Hall. This may not be big enough to have a Cadastral office but there will be one in a bigger town nearby.

if it is so remote you may find the ruin comes with a couple of sq km of land as well is that what you want?

bolton wanderer Aug 10th 2018 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by earlyoap (Post 12544862)
Hi All
So on wards and upwards.
We have 2 plans
or
rob

You can find the catastral number (land registry) using https://es.goolzoom.com/mapas/ (you may have to register)

Once you have the map positioned in the area of interest zoom in until you can see the plot of land and click on the "catastro" tab on the left hand side. Then click on "Transparente" and you will see the different parcels of land and buildings. If you click on the property you are interested in a new tab opens containing the catastral reference number. If you are in Spain and you click on that reference number it will open a new tab containing information about the type of land (urban, agricultural etc) and what buildings are registered.

We found this very useful when we were looking for a property.