Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Land End to John O'Groats Charity ride

Land End to John O'Groats Charity ride

Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Land End to John O'Groats Charity ride

Well, back over Christmas when in the UK it was stupidly suggested by a very good friend of mine that we should attempt to cycle the length of Britain ... because basically if we didn't do it now at our ages, it might never happen

Therefore on the 2nd of September this year myself and lifetime friend will be departing from Lands End on an attempt to do it in 14 days start to finish.

For those interested, he will be riding a Dawes Super Galaxy, and I will be on a Btwin R7 (with bells on!). They are of course kitted out with Panniers, 27 gears, cycle computers etc. We are hoping to blog the trip, and / or keep people updated on the forums.

The route:

Day 1 - St. Austell 52 miles
Day 2 - Exeter 74 miles
Day 3 - WestonSuper Mare 61 miles
Day 3 - Hereford 76 miles
Day 4 - Shrewsbury 64 miles
Day 5 - Northwich 64 miles
Day 6 - Giggleswick 76 miles
Day 7 - Carlisle 76 miles
Day 8 - Castle Douglas 53 miles
Day 9 - Androssan (Lochranza) 84 miles
Day 10 - Oban 65 miles
Day 11 - Fort Augustus 76 miles
Day 12 - Bonar Bridge 71 miles
Day 13 - Tongue 49 miles
Day 14 - John O'Groats 64 miles

Total 1005 miles, plus the extra for when we get lost

Is he stupid, I hear you ask. Well ....... ask the wife and she will say yes. After the ladder incident last year I am usually banned from doing anything that is slightly risky.

Stupidity has to have a good reason however, and thats where hopefully you come in. Apart from our personal reasons we have decided to do this for a charity. The Charity will be The Rifles CARE FOR CASUALTIES APPEAL, which I hope you will agree is a most deserving cause if you look at the web site. Clearly we want to raise a decent sum for them, to help support our wounded servicemen

You will be able to donate to this via a charity via a charity donations page. The donations go direct to the trust, therefore for people peace of mind we are not involved financially. The link is http://www.justgiving.com/Jon-Jones0

The charity is going to feature us on it's web site at some point, and guess what .... we get free T shirts!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice
Default Re: Land End to John O'Groats Charity ride

Well done, Mitzy, good on you.
A (Scottish) friend did it a short while ago, from north to south, just under 1,000 miles. She is glad she did it, but says she never saw the scenery - just the tarmac in front of her wheels.

Raised a goodly amount for charity though.

Hope you get lots of support. Sponsorship sent.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rostra
Well done, Mitzy, good on you.
A (Scottish) friend did it a short while ago, from north to south, just under 1,000 miles. She is glad she did it, but says she never saw the scenery - just the tarmac in front of her wheels.

Raised a goodly amount for charity though.

Hope you get lots of support. Sponsorship sent.
Thanking you very much .... I'm hoping the fact that we are raising this money will spur us on, as I am pretty sure that there will be days when we feel like giving up ......... but we wont
Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thanking you very much .... I'm hoping the fact that we are raising this money will spur us on, as I am pretty sure that there will be days when we feel like giving up ......... but we wont
Clare said it was only the thought of the sponsors that got her through the last 200 miles.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:26 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Very courageous, may the wind always be at your back

You chose a good cause.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:30 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it be easier to do it downhill?
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Yer a nutter. But good luck anyway.

Originally Posted by jimenato
Wouldn't it be easier to do it downhill?
Ah, but you want the wind at your back. The only thing worse than cycling into the wind is cycling into the wind when it's raining. And I bet it does.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:00 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I knew you were mental, and this proves it. Mitz, at your age you should know better.

Lots of luck kid, you'll need it.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck

Don't forget the cream
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Nearer the time, will there be more specific info on where you'll be in case anyone *just happens* to be in whatever neck of the woods?

... oh, and have you figured all your press releases/contacts etc?
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:24 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by fionamw
Nearer the time, will there be more specific info on where you'll be in case anyone *just happens* to be in whatever neck of the woods?

... oh, and have you figured all your press releases/contacts etc?
Heh heh, no I have the Rifles charity featuring us on their website, and I'm going to ask Xtreme who used to be on here if he can attach a blog to my webpage

Yes, when we know where we will be staying I will list it, as a few forumites have said they would like to come and laugh at me and / or buy a beer
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you, best of luck! My son is military, and he had "Help for Heroes" as his charity for one of his Ironman events. His target was £1,000, and thanks to the generosity of friends and family, he cruised through that, finally raising around £1,500. I'll have a look at your "justgiving" site later and leave a contribution.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Heh heh, no I have the Rifles charity featuring us on their website, and I'm going to ask Xtreme who used to be on here if he can attach a blog to my webpage

Yes, when we know where we will be staying I will list it, as a few forumites have said they would like to come and laugh at me and / or buy a beer
School goes back just coinciding with you being in Weston, so I stand no chance... a bit of publicity might get you freebies en route, though, so give it some thought and if you haven't got it in train and want a hand, I'm happy to do a few googlings/emails for you!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you both, it's a good choice of charity....
I'm off to take a look at the web page now.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:46 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best to you two, a noble cause!

Mitzy, you do have to crank up your 20 miles a day training session to at least the double!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.