Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

La Renta 2018 UK Rental Income - Tenant Identification

La Renta 2018 UK Rental Income - Tenant Identification

Old Jun 11th 2019, 8:01 am
Living in NW Galicia

Brano77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default La Renta 2018 UK Rental Income - Tenant Identification

I have been declaring UK rental income on my Spanish tax return for ten years.
This year my Gestor has requested the number of the National Identity Document, or similar, of the tenant in England.
Apparently this is a new requirement for La Renta 2018.
Has anyone else with UK rental income to declare been asked for this?

Thanks.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: La Renta 2018 UK Rental Income - Tenant Identification

Originally Posted by Brano77
This year my Gestor has requested the number of the National Identity Document, or similar, of the tenant in England.

Thanks.
Yes, when I did my Renta 2018 the form required that new box to be filled in. I rang my letting agent and got the Nat Ins Number of my tenant and entered it in the box. It was accepted.

I suppose you could put any old number as I don't see how Hacienda are going to check up!
Old Jun 11th 2019, 9:08 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
We have flats that we rent out here in Spain. We also had to provide DNI/NIE for each tenant for the first time this year.

Just use their NI number or passport number in UK
Old Jun 11th 2019, 9:41 am
Living in NW Galicia

Brano77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the confirmation that it is a new requirement. I was concerned my gestor may have been sending me on a wild goose chase!
Old Jun 11th 2019, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the confirmation that it is a new requirement. I was concerned my gestor may have been sending me on a wild goose chase!

Has to be done .
Good article in Invertia today about the problems this is generating for people who let short-term and therefore have mulitple ID numbers to chase. Hacienda basiclaly asking for a minimum of two in this situation but reserve the right to come back and ask for more details. Chasing the "Black Money" in the short-term rental market.

https://www.invertia.com/es/noticias...viendas-260069
Old Jun 14th 2019, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Well that is interesting..

case 1. 2 people rent a house. They pay cash. They are both working but in 'normal' jobs with a yearly income each of 15000 euro. They only work there, legally, contracted so dont need to make a declaracion de la renta ( earn under 22k, income from 1 source).
the landlord has a pension, and is renting the house. Technically, due to having income from 2 sources, and earning over 22k per year, they *should* make a declaracion. *if* the landlord declares the income, they would have to put the renters nie number on the declaracion.

I assume that the renters would be ok, because they are doing everything 'legally' but the tax man might be interested in how long they have been renting / paying money to the landlord.

Its gonna get a bit messy for the people that are trying to hide income / dodge paying taxes.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

Hmmm, This is interesting. I've had my apartment in Mallorca for over 5 years, but last month at home in the UK I received a form from HMRC with a mandatory declaration to be made about taxable income from my foreign property ownership. I don't rent it out at all, not even to family/friends, so I was happy to make the 'does not apply' declaration, but it's obvious that they are all checking and sharing information....
Old Jun 17th 2019, 9:40 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
Hmmm, This is interesting. I've had my apartment in Mallorca for over 5 years, but last month at home in the UK I received a form from HMRC with a mandatory declaration to be made about taxable income from my foreign property ownership. I don't rent it out at all, not even to family/friends, so I was happy to make the 'does not apply' declaration, but it's obvious that they are all checking and sharing information....

... but it does apply.

Even if you live in UK and have property abroad, tax must be paid on it - it's called imputed income.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... but it does apply.

Even if you live in UK and have property abroad, tax must be paid on it - it's called imputed income.
Are you referring to UK tax? I pay 'imputed income tax' in Mallorca in the form of non-resident tax every year. However, when I queried the letter I had with my solicitor, she said that I do not have to pay HMRC as I am not having an income from the property. Do you have a link to any official source of that information snikpoh?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: This guide seems to suggest that tax is only payable in the UK if you rent out your overseas property.
https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/in...y-acq0f5m4vw5v
Quote - "If you live and pay tax in the UK, you must tell HMRC about any rental income you receive from your overseas properties"

Last edited by SportyPorty; Jun 18th 2019 at 10:15 am.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 12:46 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
Are you referring to UK tax? I pay 'imputed income tax' in Mallorca in the form of non-resident tax every year. However, when I queried the letter I had with my solicitor, she said that I do not have to pay HMRC as I am not having an income from the property. Do you have a link to any official source of that information snikpoh?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: This guide seems to suggest that tax is only payable in the UK if you rent out your overseas property.
https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/in...y-acq0f5m4vw5v
Quote - "If you live and pay tax in the UK, you must tell HMRC about any rental income you receive from your overseas properties"

Probably best to contact these people and ask. Are you a UK resident?

https://www.blevinsfranks.com/news/b...rseas-property
Old Jun 18th 2019, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Probably best to contact these people and ask. Are you a UK resident?

https://www.blevinsfranks.com/news/b...rseas-property
Thanks snikpoh, Things are certainly being looked at! Yes, I am UK resident, and reading the article, it appears that I do not need to do anything, or inform HMRC until -
1 - I rent out the property (not going to happen)
2 - I sell the property at a profit (not going to happen)
3 - I die (definitely will happen, but I suspect I'll be long past caring by then)

I don't really have a problem with the authorities investigating these things, as the reasons behind it are valid. I already comply with local tax regulations in Mallorca, and will do so if and when I'm required to in the UK, but for now at least, it looks like I'm in the clear.