British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   la Caixa - going downhill fast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/la-caixa-going-downhill-fast-938693/)

Alectryon May 19th 2021 10:56 am

la Caixa - going downhill fast

Good morning. I went to my local branch this morning to withdraw €1000 to pay a car repair bill. I was refused and told - not asked - to come back tomorrow before 11.00 am.
Another Covid-related excuse not to offer a service to customers? It is my money whether before or after 11.00 am. A request to their head office for information has gone unanswered but that is the norm for this 'bank'.

Rosemary May 19th 2021 11:13 am

Re: la Caixa - going downhill fast

In smaller branches of some banks the "till" locks at a set time so it is possibly more to do with normal practice than covid.

Rosemary

Alectryon May 19th 2021 11:31 am

Thank you Rosemary - but how ridiculous is that? The branch is open from 9 am until 2.30 pm and I would expect a banking 'service' during those hours. They take your money, pay you no interest but then lend it out at a high interest to others, and also charge you for debit cards, credit cards and maintainance fees. Cheaper and more efficient for me to stick my money under the mattress!

frigilianafreddy May 19th 2021 11:42 am

just withdraw it from atm. unicaja allows me €1,000 a day . But even if its €500 you can do it it two lots.

Possibly of more interest is why payment in cash? Car repair place doesnt accept debit or credit cards? Hmmmm...

Alectryon May 19th 2021 11:49 am

There is only one garage in this very small village and he has never accepted cards. He has also been very good to me over the past 16 years. If, and only if, he is avoiding income taxes that is his business and does not reflect on his customers.

Mark604 May 19th 2021 11:53 am

In smaller branches of some banks, like mine, if you want to get cash above a certain amount (mine is €1000), I have to order it the day before so they can budget for other day to day outgoings. It'd be a bit of a thing they told me if they run out of money before the day is done. If it is anywhere near that sum I tend do do the ATM option anyway.

bfg69bug May 19th 2021 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Alectryon (Post 13008096)
Thank you Rosemary - but how ridiculous is that? The branch is open from 9 am until 2.30 pm and I would expect a banking 'service' during those hours. They take your money, pay you no interest but then lend it out at a high interest to others, and also charge you for debit cards, credit cards and maintainance fees. Cheaper and more efficient for me to stick my money under the mattress!

Recently I have been recieving my nomina (wages) in cash. if im working the 0800.1600 shift, i cant pay it in till my day off - and it has to be a monday or a friday, 08.00-10.00 ... annoying is not the word.

Alectryon May 19th 2021 2:56 pm

It's not annoying - it is disgraceful.
It is about time the banks realized that we are customers and treat us with the respect and considersation due to customers

cermignano May 19th 2021 3:03 pm

I agree. It is a disgrace, but they don't care and lots of them are closing.

bobd22 May 19th 2021 3:12 pm

[QUOTE=cer It is a disgrace, but they don't care and lots of them are closing.[/QUOTE]

In all countries and certainly in the UK they are going over to automated systems often only one actual advisor and others with a tablet that go along the queue seeing what they an resolve online. It's the modern world I'm afraid.

DLC May 19th 2021 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Alectryon (Post 13008195)
It's not annoying - it is disgraceful.
It is about time the banks realized that we are customers and treat us with the respect and considersation due to customers

I think La Caixa cares less than most, they've just acquired all of Bankia's customers.

But I'd say for anything above 1000 it's probably best to give them a day or two's notice or empty their cash machines.

spainrico May 19th 2021 5:00 pm

I remember when I came to Spain 21 years ago - I had a lot of money (good old days) on deposit I went to make a withdrawal and was asked if I had booked it!

Which I had not and so they suggested I returned later and if enough had been paid in maybe they could payout.

I agree bank service is declining and although I consider myself IT competent I hate the Sabadell banking app which is slow and erratic IMO.

And I also agree it is disgusting they pay us no interest and yet they loan out at 8% plus..and the only way to avoid charges is to pay in huge amounts and or take their insurance products which I think is anti-competitive to insurance companies.

Banks are good fodder for a rant!

Lynn R May 19th 2021 5:21 pm

When I sold my former home in 2017 I had to pay over €4k in plus valia to the Ayuntamiento and the only way to do it was in cash - they wouldn't accept a bank transfer and the amount was over the transaction limit for my debit card. I was allowed to withdraw that amount in cash from my Sabadell branch with no notice, didn't really like carrying it around but was able to take it to the Santander branch across the street and pay the bill. I did say to the bank that I had thought it was illegal to pay bills over a certain amount in cash, but they looked at me in amazement.

Stingychips May 19th 2021 6:19 pm

The Spainish very much love their cash.

gill556 May 20th 2021 4:47 am

I recently went to La Caixa to draw 3,000 euros and was told no as it was after 11am. Returned the following day at 10am and despite there only being 2 customers before me I was still waiting at 10.55am. I went to speak to the manager and said it was important that I had this cash and it was almost 11am and she told me not to worry she would make sure I got it, which I did. Must be a way to get round stopping the safe from locking. I did ask why it was impossible to get it the day before but I could get it today but didn’t get an answer.