British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   La Caixa Bank (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/la-caixa-bank-771169/)

lynda32 Sep 10th 2012 5:48 pm

La Caixa Bank

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has a non residents account with La Caixa? When I lived in Spain we had a residents account but since moving back to the UK it has been closed down and as I plan to return to Spain in the future I would like to open up a non residents account that I can transfer money from the UK to it on a regular basis up until I return to Spain.
Does such an account exist? I cant see anything online.
Thanks in advance
Lynda :)

Kath Las Colinas Sep 10th 2012 8:53 pm

Re: La Caixa Bank

We have a non-residents account with La Caixa although we do also have our mortgage with them so don't know if that makes any difference
Kath

Domino Sep 10th 2012 11:04 pm

what does their website say ??

megmet Sep 10th 2012 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by lynda32 (Post 10273657)
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has a non residents account with La Caixa? When I lived in Spain we had a residents account but since moving back to the UK it has been closed down and as I plan to return to Spain in the future I would like to open up a non residents account that I can transfer money from the UK to it on a regular basis up until I return to Spain.
Does such an account exist? I cant see anything online.
Thanks in advance
Lynda :)

Yes Lynda you can open a non resident account I'm still using mine, when I asked about changing it I was told I didn't need to do as I was paying my taxes here anyway.
Some day I'll get around to changing it, but at the moment I don't want to push my luck as my pensions are paid in each month....no point in rocking the boat for them to make their usual mess of things!

Domino Sep 11th 2012 8:19 am

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 10274108)
Yes Lynda you can open a non resident account I'm still using mine, when I asked about changing it I was told I didn't need to do as I was paying my taxes here anyway.
Some day I'll get around to changing it, but at the moment I don't want to push my luck as my pensions are paid in each month....no point in rocking the boat for them to make their usual mess of things!

do you find that with La Caixa ? ?
my relationship over the past 8months has been exceedingly good

last week I drew some money out of my HSBC acct and started off down the hill to have one of the guys come running after me to remind me I hadnt logged on to the website since opening the account and if I didnt then the logons would be locked.

perhaps thats the difference with some of the smaller branches - Customer Service
:thumbsup:

megmet Sep 11th 2012 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10274622)
do you find that with La Caixa ? ?
my relationship over the past 8months has been exceedingly good

last week I drew some money out of my HSBC acct and started off down the hill to have one of the guys come running after me to remind me I hadnt logged on to the website since opening the account and if I didnt then the logons would be locked.

perhaps thats the difference with some of the smaller branches - Customer Service
:thumbsup:

Usually they are good but.....

I was one of those who put lots of money into what we were told was a five year higher interest savings account.....it was no such thing! :sneaky:
It's in fact shares which over the last two years have spent more time in minus than in plus (costing me quite a lot in lost interest)....I would have been better leaving it where it was earning three percent interest! :frown:

Hence the comment about not rocking the boat....if I don't...they can't make a mess!

Domino Sep 11th 2012 10:35 am

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 10274710)
Usually they are good but.....

I was one of those who put lots of money into what we were told was a five year higher interest savings account.....it was no such thing! :sneaky:
It's in fact shares which over the last two years have spent more time in minus than in plus (costing me quite a lot in lost interest)....I would have been better leaving it where it was earning three percent interest! :frown:

Hence the comment about not rocking the boat....if I don't...they can't make a mess!

is there no redress mechanism as there would be in the UK ??

megmet Sep 11th 2012 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10274886)
is there no redress mechanism as there would be in the UK ??

In a word......NO!

There were demonstrations in Alora and across the country earlier in the year, it was on the TV news and in the papers at the time, the outcome being that the government said they are looking into it....
But this is Spain, so I'm not holding my breath and don't expect a result anyway.

It's quite a mess, many of the Spanish in Alora caught up in it are people who have now with the crisis fallen on hard times and desperately need their cash.
When they have needed their money (total life savings in many cases) they have found that as shares on a five year term the value has gone down, and not only that... they must sell the shares and pay commission on the sale, all of this can take as long as six months.

I'm actually one of the fortunate ones, I can afford to wait the five year and hope that by then things have got better. :unsure:

lynda32 Sep 12th 2012 3:24 pm

Many Thanks everyone for all your helpfull replies... We always found La Caixa to be exceptionally helpfull so will stick with them. Thanks Again guys :)