Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Kids in Hospital

Kids in Hospital

Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids in Hospital

Is it Spanish, or Andaluz, policy to separate young children from their parents while having treatment? I have heard that.....Or could I have insisted on staying with my 6 year old while he had stitches?
(fall at school, cut to bone on forehead, 2 X-rays, he's got a big lump & may not be in school today to avoid further nasties, but basically fine)
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids in Hospital

Originally Posted by fionamw
Is it Spanish, or Andaluz, policy to separate young children from their parents while having treatment? I have heard that.....Or could I have insisted on staying with my 6 year old while he had stitches?
(fall at school, cut to bone on forehead, 2 X-rays, he's got a big lump & may not be in school today to avoid further nasties, but basically fine)

poor boy - still at least he has a real 'war wound'!

I think you could have insisted on staying with him

when dd1 (then 11) broke her arm this time last year my hubby stayed with her the whole time in Denia hospital - all through the x-rays & plastering
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
poor boy - still at least he has a real 'war wound'!

I think you could have insisted on staying with him

when dd1 (then 11) broke her arm this time last year my hubby stayed with her the whole time in Denia hospital - all through the x-rays & plastering
Obviously I wondered - but when we arrived here the established Brits with kids were telling me that the system was different to what we're used to in the UK... previously at the Malaga Hospital Materno Infantil (he's getting to be a regular, with one thing and another!) I've remained with him, but then it's not exactly been treatment, more examination or X rays or scans etc. Yesterday evening it was dealt with as a 'given' that once they were going to stitch him up they said right Mama's going that way & you're coming with us'..... & since I knew he'd probably yowl furiously it might be better if I wasn't there making things worse. Maybe wrong call but anyway he came out with one solitary tear running down his cheek......aww! I just know I'd be regretting bigtime if it hadn't gone ok.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately we had the same experience, our son has had 3 breaks ( leg, wrist and finger all on seperate occasions he is 12) and he went for the x-rays without us and the time he broke his leg we had quite a heated "discussion" with the nurses doing his escayola who ordered us out of the room, then out of the ward !!!! but another doc came along to "sign him out" and he said it was fine for us to be in there with him so I think it just depends on the nurse/doc at the time of the visit and how compassionate (or not) they are
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:57 am
Banned

SpainLover is an unknown quantity at this point

This sounds real strange to me! I always join my kids (have only good experiences, in Catalonia and in Andalusia) and I guess you should have insisted!

Hope your little boy recovered and is well !!??
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SpainLover
This sounds real strange to me! I always join my kids (have only good experiences, in Catalonia and in Andalusia) and I guess you should have insisted!

Hope your little boy recovered and is well !!??
Thanks, yes - much talked about everywhere we went in the village today (not ill, just kept him away from boistrous play!!!)....turns out a little girl had a v similar accident involving stitches the day before.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:42 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes - much talked about everywhere we went in the village today (not ill, just kept him away from boistrous play!!!)....turns out a little girl had a v similar accident involving stitches the day before.
bet she went to school