Reload this Page >

Kennels and cattery Galicia

Kennels and cattery Galicia

Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

catvantienhoven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kennels and cattery Galicia

Hi There,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I am thinking of moving to Galicia to set up a kennels and cattery. Do you think there are enough expats in the area to need this service. I have searched on the internet and cannot find any kennels at all in Galicia. Do you think this is because there is no market for it?
Thanks for your help.
Catherine
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kennels and cattery Galicia

Originally Posted by catvantienhoven
Hi There,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I am thinking of moving to Galicia to set up a kennels and cattery. Do you think there are enough expats in the area to need this service. I have searched on the internet and cannot find any kennels at all in Galicia. Do you think this is because there is no market for it?
Thanks for your help.
Catherine
The way the work situation is in Spain at the mo I am sure if there was any chance of that sort of business working, then there would be at least one doing it by now.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There,
I have searched on the internet and cannot find any kennels at all in Galicia. Do you think this is because there is no market for it?
When searching for things in Spain, you should search in Spanish (not English!) and use google.es

I've just put "perrera Galicia" in Google and got loads of results back
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there are. We used one near A Coruna when we first moved here. Now there is always an expat around who is willing to look after our dog for a few euros.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:30 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Not so many expats around to make a business out of this.
As I understand it you have to be a registered vet to run a kennels/cattery legally here.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

NadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cricketman
When searching for things in Spain, you should search in Spanish (not English!) and use google.es

I've just put "perrera Galicia" in Google and got loads of results back
I would be very careful what search terms I used when searching for kennels and catteries in Spain. "Perrera" is the word that's used for the dog pound. I would search for "residencia canina felina" instead. You still get lots of hits, and you're less likely to accidentally put your pets in the local pound.

There was a story in Spanish media just a few days ago about an Italian who moved to Spain with his 3 dogs, boarded them at the local "perrera", and when he came to pick them up 4 days later they had been put down. Here's a link to the story (in Spanish): http://noestamalserhumildeporlasduda...ra-simone.html

After reading that story, if some place calls itself a "perrera", I am not bringing my cats within 10 km of it.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:44 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There,

Thanks for your help.
Catherine
I dont think that there would be any demand from expats for boarding their cats and dogs, one reason is that there are not many expats.

Another would be that most folk outside the larger towns and cities see there dogs as "guard dogs", so sending them to a "hotel" while away, would defeat the object of having the dog in the first place.

I think the red tape would be anightmare too, as regard having vet and other qualified staff, suitable facilities, and location would be a task to put of even the bravest.