Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Keeping a UK registered car in Spain

Keeping a UK registered car in Spain

Old Feb 25th 2016, 3:54 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping a UK registered car in Spain

Originally Posted by aveyda
Hi!!! new member here, just want to ask if anyone can tell me if this issue of keeping a vehicle in spain for 6 months means- 6 months in any one calender year or 6 months in any 12 month period. Bit confusing but then I am 74yrs old so maybe can be forgiven!!!!!
It's "within 6 months" in a calendar year. By the end of the 6 months, the car has to be matriculated and not that you've just started the process.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aveyda
Hi!!! new member here, just want to ask if anyone can tell me if this issue of keeping a vehicle in spain for 6 months means- 6 months in any one calender year or 6 months in any 12 month period. Bit confusing but then I am 74yrs old so maybe can be forgiven!!!!!
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I had a similar query and found that....
As a UK national, non resident in Spain, you can keep your UK legal car in Spain as long as you like. The car must be insured, taxed and MOT'd at all times while in Spain. However, to remain non resident in Spain, you cannot remain in the country longer than 183 days.

This means that you will have to get the car to a UK MOT station once a year, ensure that your insurance will cover the vehicle at all times while in Spain and ensure that you pay UK road tax.

As a non resident in Spain you cannot drive a Spanish registered car for any extended period in any other country than Spain, ie UK.

P.s For Spanish insurance on UK plated cars try liberty segurous or Abbeygate. I believe that both these insurers appear on the MID (insurance database) in the UK.

Last edited by bolton wanderer; Feb 25th 2016 at 4:23 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 4:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It's "within 6 months" in a calendar year. By the end of the 6 months, the car has to be matriculated and not that you've just started the process.
No that's not true if you are not a resident.

Bolton Wander's post is correct.

As a UK national, non resident in Spain, you can keep your UK legal car in Spain as long as you like. The car must be insured, taxed and MOT'd at all times while in Spain. However, to remain non resident in Spain, you cannot remain in the country longer than 183 days.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:05 am
Just Joined

aveyda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all for the replies!!!
Have decided to go back to UK & sell the camper so no worries now.