British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Keeping a UK registered car in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/keeping-uk-registered-car-spain-867906/)

Longlegpete Nov 19th 2015 7:32 am

Re: Keeping a UK registered car in Spain

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 11797720)
The law states that if they consider that your 'centre of economic interest' is in Spain, then you are deemed to be resident here irrespective of the 183 day rule.

What this means in reality is that if your main residence is here, your family are here etc. etc. then you are really already resident here.

I am fully aware of the law sir and as my centre of economic interest is firmly in the UK, I spend less than 183 days a year here and no more than 21 days at a time then I am firmly within it, I pay my taxes for UK interests in the UK and tax in Spain for La Renta and on our Summer rentals.

I do sometimes wonder why people can't understand its quite possible to do this!!!

snikpoh Nov 19th 2015 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 11797753)
I am fully aware of the law sir and as my centre of economic interest is firmly in the UK, I spend less than 183 days a year here and no more than 21 days at a time then I am firmly within it, I pay my taxes for UK interests in the UK and tax in Spain for La Renta and on our Summer rentals.

I do sometimes wonder why people can't understand its quite possible to do this!!!

I was merely answering your question;

... not sure what you mean buy , "being a resident is not all amount registering here in Spain " ?
I too am aware that it is possible to do exactly what you are doing.

Longlegpete Nov 19th 2015 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 11797869)
I was merely answering your question;

I'm not sure that was the original question asked of me by Casa Santo Estevo ?, anyway if it was it has indeed been answered, going back to the original subject something that also came out of my conversations with the DVLA is they class any vehicle that has been out of the UK reguarless of Age for more that 12 Months as permanently exported, i guess they have no way of knowing this but it is what they said

ononno Nov 19th 2015 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 11797894)
I'm not sure that was the original question asked of me by Casa Santo Estevo ?, anyway if it was it has indeed been answered, going back to the original subject something that also came out of my conversations with the DVLA is they class any vehicle that has been out of the UK reguarless of Age for more that 12 Months as permanently exported, i guess they have no way of knowing this but it is what they said

If the vehicle is not SORNd, taxed, or MOTd, DVLA safe to assume it is out of the UK, ergo exported.
'o nonno

aveyda Feb 25th 2016 2:46 pm

Hi!!! new member here, just want to ask if anyone can tell me if this issue of keeping a vehicle in spain for 6 months means- 6 months in any one calender year or 6 months in any 12 month period. Bit confusing but then I am 74yrs old so maybe can be forgiven!!!!!

snikpoh Feb 25th 2016 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by aveyda (Post 11879222)
Hi!!! new member here, just want to ask if anyone can tell me if this issue of keeping a vehicle in spain for 6 months means- 6 months in any one calender year or 6 months in any 12 month period. Bit confusing but then I am 74yrs old so maybe can be forgiven!!!!!

It's "within 6 months" in a calendar year. By the end of the 6 months, the car has to be matriculated and not that you've just started the process.

bolton wanderer Feb 25th 2016 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by aveyda (Post 11879222)

Hi and welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

I had a similar query and found that....
As a UK national, non resident in Spain, you can keep your UK legal car in Spain as long as you like. The car must be insured, taxed and MOT'd at all times while in Spain. However, to remain non resident in Spain, you cannot remain in the country longer than 183 days.

This means that you will have to get the car to a UK MOT station once a year, ensure that your insurance will cover the vehicle at all times while in Spain and ensure that you pay UK road tax.

As a non resident in Spain you cannot drive a Spanish registered car for any extended period in any other country than Spain, ie UK.

P.s For Spanish insurance on UK plated cars try liberty segurous or Abbeygate. I believe that both these insurers appear on the MID (insurance database) in the UK.

Fred James Feb 25th 2016 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 11879313)
It's "within 6 months" in a calendar year. By the end of the 6 months, the car has to be matriculated and not that you've just started the process.

No that's not true if you are not a resident.

Bolton Wander's post is correct.

As a UK national, non resident in Spain, you can keep your UK legal car in Spain as long as you like. The car must be insured, taxed and MOT'd at all times while in Spain. However, to remain non resident in Spain, you cannot remain in the country longer than 183 days.

aveyda Feb 28th 2016 7:05 am

Thanks to all for the replies!!!
Have decided to go back to UK & sell the camper so no worries now.;)