Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Keeping dogs' water cool

Keeping dogs' water cool

Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keeping dogs' water cool

I know it's nearly the end of the summer, but I've discovered a brilliant product that helps to keep your dog's water cool

It's called Rock Sulphur, and you can get it in any pet shop (well, you can in the UK anyway!)
I haven't tried buying it here in Spain, as I brought a couple of containers back from the UK to try.

It really works!
A 100g tub costs just under £3, and I reckon it's worth every penny.

The "rock" is yellow, and almost looks like a bit of chalk.
You put a piece of rock (roughly walnut sized) into the dog's drinking bowl, and renew it every 3 or 4 days.
A friend who lived in Spain years ago told me about it, and I really didn't think it would work.............................but it's excellent.

I no longer have to keep adding ice cubes to my dog's water.
It stays really cool with the rock sulphur in it.
I thought maybe she might be put off by this lump of yellow stuff in her bowl, but she hasn't taken a blind bit of notice.

To anyone moving out here with dogs, I would definitely recommend you bring some with you.

Has anyone else tried it?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:00 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping dogs' water cool

Thanks for that Sam, another snippet of good information in my notes and on the shopping list of items to bring out with me,sounds really good,Cheers
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

So what is it to keep the water cool?

Today, I filled up my pool, first time this year, to I've forgotten that it had an interesting way of getting the tap to work on it. MY OH will kill me as he wanted to use it whilst he was here last week and I couldn't get it to work. Then today I remembered so filled it up today half full so the dog could have a swim.

Last edited by Mercedes; Aug 27th 2007 at 4:41 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:41 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes

I filled up my pool, I've forgotten that it had an interesting way of getting the tap to work on it. MY OH will kill me as he wanted to use it whilst he was here last week and I couldn't get it to work. Then remembered so filled it up today half full so the dog could have a swim.
It actually keeps the blood cooler, it is used professionally for hot weather athletes as well I think.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
It actually keeps the blood cooler, it is used professionally for hot weather athletes as well I think.
I knew you'd know something clever about it Matt
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jandy44
Thanks for that Sam, another snippet of good information in my notes and on the shopping list of items to bring out with me,sounds really good,Cheers
You're very welcome Jean
It's great stuff; I'm sure your George will be grateful.

Not long till your big trip, is it? Bet you can't wait!!
I reckon there just might be some of this lovely weather left by the time you get here
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:29 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
You're very welcome Jean
It's great stuff; I'm sure your George will be grateful.

Not long till your big trip, is it? Bet you can't wait!!
I reckon there just might be some of this lovely weather left by the time you get here
Hi Sam , yes its count down , two weeks on Wends. and I cant wait,been one or two hiccups here with family,its all sorted now ,I am looking forward to the break and also the research into our big move,the builder is here again on Wends to continue with building a wall,its all bringing us a step in the right direction George does not like hot weather I,m looking forward to a sunny climate
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:36 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes

Today, I filled up my pool, first time this year, to I've forgotten that it had an interesting way of getting the tap to work on it. MY OH will kill me as he wanted to use it whilst he was here last week and I couldn't get it to work. Then today I remembered so filled it up today half full so the dog could have a swim.

Didn't think you had a OH?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Yup last 5 years. although I've known him longer, started off as friends. He lives in UK though, but I travel there alot for work, and he comes down to Spain frequently so we see enough of each other, but I don't have to do his washing.